Don't understand Baseline Metabolism measurements.  Please help >

Don't understand Baseline Metabolism measurements. Please help

Notices

Don't understand Baseline Metabolism measurements. Please help

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Don't understand Baseline Metabolism measurements. Please help

hi guys and gals!

My name is Nicky James (<---- my first name, like if your first name is Mary Jo... mine is Nicky James) and I'm completely new to fitday. I could type a whole shpiel about my weightloss journey and how I vlog about it on youtube and yada yada yada... but that will come later. For now, I wanted to ask this...

I was perusing the Activity section and saw that it said I burn something like 2,300 cal per day. And of course it threw me off so I looked into it. And they use base metabolism equations to estimate how many calories you burn just by LIVING. Now, I had a hard time believing that I burn somewhere around 2,300 cal a day just by living. Are these numbers fairly accurate? Should I trust them? Please give me some insight. I'm glad to be here and meet some likeminded individuals. I hope I can make some friends! See ya soon!

Nicky James
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Your body actually burns calories just breathing, you burn calories when you sleep, when you sit and eat, etc etc. And as you well know you also burn calories when you exercise. It's just a tool so you can try and estimate if your body is in fat burning mode. I don't really know how accurate it is, but I do know that when I select "sitting some movement" and then I put in all my activities for the day and my foods (honestly), as long as I keep my intake 500-1000 calories lower than my activities I consistently lose weight. It's not consistent day to day but week to week I'm dropping by 1-3 pounds with a fair bit of predictability. My lifestyle varies day to day, some days I sit a lot (like at swim meets) and other days I'm on my feet alllllll day (like this morning I cleaned out the front porch and will be heading down to do the same to the basement soon). At first I started off using "standing work", but that seemed way too optimistic for my more sedentary days, and my weight loss was lower than it should have been, so I switched it to the lower burn life style.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
FitDay Member

apparently this is the formula:

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

I haven't gone through it to see if mine matches what FitDay says.

It states this as well:
The only factor it omits is lean body mass and thus the ratio of muscle-to-fat a body has. Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will underestimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs).

all taken from here:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...mr-formula.php

Last edited by blackrhino2; 05-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sleep??

Does this Base Metabolism include "sleep time" or do you have to input that? I would think that would be a negative input if they have figured your activity level in a 24 hour period at any of the options. I would think sleeping would use lower calories than anything other than "dead". Just curious because I would like to get this base as close to reality as possible.

I do not believe for one minute that my baseline is over 3,500 calories per day! Something is wrong here.

Last edited by boharrison; 05-27-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Lifestyle activity calories

I have the same question, when I do the calcs, it is 1750, when I go into my activities tab it says 2400.

Not sure why the disconnect, but maybe the calcs are NOT connected to the activitity tab?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

I was curious about this as well. I don't exactly understand how I should log my activities. I gave myself a "standing" lifestyle. I work in retail merchandising. Constant brisk walking, squatting, lifting, and very few moments to sit. Thats 30-40 hours a week. At home, I sit down a lot except for shopping and cleaning, which may be like a day a week. If I sleep about 7 hours a day, SHOULD I log that or does the lifestyle option just assume that? Would it be more accurate to put sedentary lifestyle, log all my hours of working, cleaning, etc.. and log sleep? =/ I'm confused
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Got some answer to base rate

Had a meeting at work, we calc'd our BMR, which is in line with the fitday forumula. Mine is 1750. In Fitday I went to activities tab and it showed 2400, and I couldn't edit it.

In our meeting, given by a nutrition expert, we took the BMR and then calc'd depending on amount of exercise. So since I was at lightly active, I multiplied my 1700 by 1.375 and there ya go! The 2400'ish.

sedentary, take bmr * 1.2
lightly 1.375
moderately, 1.55
very active 1.725
extra active 1.9

That answered my question I posed last week. Maybe it helps others.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

You can customize your Baseline Metabolism on Fitday. Go to the ACTIVITIES tab, then from the left menu chose Customize Metabolism. From there you can customize (to some extent) your base metabolism. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

I like to hang out at Bodybuilding.com.
Their formula is very close to fitday. I checked both sites and they are within 10 calories of each other.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default Harris vs. Mifflin?

I noticed that when I calculated my BMR it gave me the option of using the harris vs. the mifflin equation. the mifflin (i may be spelling it wrong) said my BMR is 1297 and Harris said 1397...I'm a petite person so I'm not surprised it's lower. I went with the Harris because I've been informed by exercise physiologist not to eat below my BMR (hence why they say it's the calories your body needs to stay alive; therefore you need to eat that amount to keep the basal functions of your body going). your BMR or at least mine is usually around my weight on paper however I am leaner so It can also be inaccurate as mentioned by another member above. anyways so I went with harris benedict formula and then add a couple hundred more to make up for eating adequately to support my lean muscle metabolism. my question is; with my activity of seated most days with some movement (at least while school is out) I burn 2200 ish and then add my calories burned with exercise right? i.e. i eat 1600 and burn a total (including intentional exercise) of 2600 then I create an estimate deficit of 1000 calorie deficit. there are so many calculators out there for determining the BMR and the daily energy expenditure it's frustrating. I think another good one to determine or compare accuracy is

Baseline Metabolism Calculator

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.