Notices

food weight: before or after cooking??

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Cool food weight: before or after cooking??

Hi all,

a question for users more expert (I'm quite new to the software...): when you input the food quantity, the weight is before cooking or after? Say, "Pasta", the weight to input is the dry pasta before boiling in water, or after? Meat, is the weight of the raw meat of after having fried it?

Thanks and regards!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I always enter the weight/volume of the food just before it my plate. So, I guess "cooked" is my answer.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Check out the difference in cooked and raw broccoli, 30 cal for raw, 103 cal for cooked. I'm sorry but when I cook the broccoli I steam it so I am not getting any more in a cup than when its raw, and I only count it as 30 calories. I think a lot of the differences are in the amount you can get in a cup if the item is cooked to a soft consistency. Just use your common sense when figuring it out is my best advice.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

I think it depend on how you look at it (what convience for you). pasta is hard to measure by cup before cooking. Also, when cooking, I cook for the whole family so it hard to measure my own portion and remember which one is mine. So for me, measure after cooking is more convienence.
I agree with Dee that boil broccoli and raw one is should not have a dramatic different in cals so she choose 30 cals instead of 130. But if you add oil in cooking, don't forget to log that in too.
Mai