Community
Notices

Salmon and Vit D

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Question Salmon and Vit D

Hello, I am new to Fitday. How come Fitday doesn't show any Vit D when I add salmon? Are there any other foods on Fitday that aren't accurate in nutrients? Or...am I doing something wrong and just missing the Vit D? Thanks, Laura
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 AM
fitday_jim

Hi elkejames. I am not sure there is much Vitamin D in salmon. I looked at salmon and it seems to have minimal Vitamin D. If you would like me to check a specific food to see if the data is right, let me know and I can see.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Question Salmon

That would be great. How about: "Salmon, baked or broiled"

Everything I pull up says salmon is an excellent source of Vit D. This is one site I found: WHFoods: Salmon

Thanks for help!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hello,

I'm wondering just the same - salmon is supposed to be an excellent source of vitamin D.

Why do all salmon items listed on FitDay report 0 vitamin D?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I saw the link that says Salmon is an excellent source of Vitamin D, but when I cross reference Salmon on the USDA site, the USDA site does not include Vitamin D, meaning that it is not present in Atlantic Salmon, either raw or cooked.

HOWEVER, it does show up for Pink Salmon.

So to me, it looks like FitDay is referencing Atlantic Salmon, which happens to contain no Vitamin D. That's all I can figure...

You can search for Salmon yourself here to see what's up:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

You can do a 'nutrient search' to find the fish and shellfish highest in vitamin D and lowest in calories (for example). It will screen its database and give you a list.

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-20-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Wink sockeye salmon - vitamin D

I checked out the USDA website for sockeye salmon and it does show the Vitam D level as 375 for a 3 ounce piece (raw). Of course the level will vary with different species and farmed vs. wild.
Show Foods
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see vitamin D in any of the salmon on nutritiondata.self.com. It's a mystery.

Canned Salmon - About_Omega-3s - Other Nutritional Benefits
gives a good summary for canned salmon. The vitamin D is in the oil (fat) in the salmon, according to other google sources.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jim,
This is the first time I've seen a 'Fitday Moderator' in a Fitday forum. Welcome back!!
I hope we'll see you spending more time around the forums so you can answer some of the questions that seem to linger here, without a definitive answer.

- Donna