Notices

Creating a custom food based on an existing food

Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Creating a custom food based on an existing food

How can I create a custom food based on an existing food, changing only the amount? I've tried what must be every permutation of create/edit/save/recalculate (or not).

The process will appear to have worked, but the new custom food always reverts to the original quantity. In this case I want to create a custom food which is 24 fl oz, rather than 1 fluid oz.

I'm about to need to make a Mood entry of 'frustrated and angry'.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

It should work if you just put the 24 oz in for the amount -- be sure and hit the save button. I find that if I add that food from my recent food selection the amount will stay the same.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
It should work if you just put the 24 oz in for the amount -- be sure and hit the save button.
It certainly should! Here's the process I just now went through:

Food Search: Coffee
Select entry for Coffee - Amount is 1 fl oz
On "Coffee" page, select "Customize This Food"
On "Create a Custom Food" page, change Name from "Coffee" to "Coffee, 24 fl oz"
Select "Create this Food"
On the newly created "Coffee, 24 fl oz" page, change Amount from 1 to 24 [Whether or not this is a healthy quantity is another matter. ]
Select "Edit This Food"
On the resulting "Edit Your Custom Food" page, Amount is still 24, nutrition facts reflects this quantity.
Select "Save"'

At this point, if I choose 'Add To Your Food Log', the entry will be correct.
Whether or not I do so, when I view the custom food, the amount has reverted to 1 fl oz, Nutrition Facts reflects this quantity.

I find that if I add that food from my recent food selection the amount will stay the same.
That does work, but the extra step required is irksome (and painful), i.e. Recent Foods-->More-->Add To Food Log rather than Custom Foods-->Coffe, 24 fl oz. It's not the end of the world, but it will irritate me every day, as well as adding to the accumulation of pain from using the computer, which can be significant. I'd prefer to have the choce of 6,12,18 or 24 ounces right at the top of a drop-down list. Two-clicks and it's over.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Please read the thread I stickied. http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...t-measure.html

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-17-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I already had, and it does not seem to address my issue.

For Measurement:
Lets assume that you don't want to weigh your food but have a set of measuring cups. Well you may have noticed in the previous example that "Cups, tsp, ect." wasn't an option.
I want to change the quantity measured, not the units of measure, which are just fine as is.

1) click on the name of the food (not Add To Food Log), the nutrition info for the food comes up and you can click the drop down box next to "cup" and see all kind of measuring options.
The kind of measuring option is already just where I want it.

2) click Customize This Food
No problem here.

3) Enter the name of YOUR food
No problem here, either.

4) If you want to keep it as "cup" just click Edit This Food and change the Nutrition Facts and click Create This Food and you are done.
No problem, I don't want the unit of measurement change. Nothing to do here.

5) If you want to save it with a different way of measuring then change in to "tsp, tbsp" or what ever you want, then just click Edit This Food and change the Nutrition Facts and click Create This Food and you are done.
I don't want to save it with a different way of measuring, I want to save it with a different quantity measured. There appears to be no facility to do so. The quantity field in Edit Your Custom Food is not changeable.

It is certainly possible to enter the food in my food log, then change the quantity, but every additional click and keypress is physically painful and adds to the cumulative damage. I am trying to minimize these things; otherwise I would have no complaint. It's a disability issue.

If I used the same quantity every day, I could use Recent Foods, and often do, but sometimes the quantity I'm using today has not been recent enough.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

for some odd reason this one reverts back to 1oz. I don't understand it. I'll check on it again later to see what I can figure out with it.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
for some odd reason this one reverts back to 1oz. I don't understand it. I'll check on it again later to see what I can figure out with it.
Thanks! I guess I should have actually tried with a different food.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'm asking around, I hope we can get an answer for you.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

I've seen the same thing where the modified food has reverted back to quantity or even calories.

There's a slight 'bug' in the program but also an easy solution.

Like someone said "I find that if I add that food from my recent food selection the amount will stay the same."

THAT is the way to add custom foods. To add the custom food to the Foods, use "Recent Foods" and NOT "Custom Foods" (which will not keep all the saved changes).

Last edited by VitoVino; 07-27-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Understanding restaurant complaints is crucial for both diners and restaurant owners. If you've had a less-than-ideal dining experience or want to make informed choices when eating out, you might find valuable insights on Eatagram About Eatagram Portal. It's a platform where restaurant-goers can share their feedback and complaints, helping others make informed decisions. It's not just about critiques, but also about constructive feedback that can contribute to the improvement of restaurants.