Notices

Serving size/ alternate amounts

Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Serving size/ alternate amounts

I need to use a lot of custom foods and one thing that annoys me to no end is how I can't tell the program how big a serving is. I don't always eat an amount equal to one serving. When entering a custom food, I should be able tell how much was in that serving so that I can enter the food in other amounts. I have been entering the food with it's serving size in the name and doing the math manually, but that seems so silly that I have to do that, being that this is on a computer and all. For example, say a serving of food A is 80g. When I use 60g, I want to be able to enter 60g rather than 0.75 servings.

BTW, I'm an online premium member.

Last edited by mellyagain; 01-11-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I incorrectly stated that I thought only one decimal place could be entered.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

I believe if you first create the food (at least name it), then it'll take you to the next screen wherein you can change the amount. What I've been doing is creating a shell (with a name), changing the amount in the applicable serving (indicating g, kg, oz, whatever), then going back and editing the food, entering the actual nutritional numbers at that point. These are extra steps that didn't used to be required, but it's the best way I've found to address this now.

What I don't understand is why you can't adjust the serving size when you initially create the food, and why you are apparently no longer allowed to use cups or other volume measurements. I've had a FitDay account for several years, but haven't used it in a while. I used to be able to enter any food and adjust for any serving size I wanted (cup, tbsp, etc.). The fact that I can't do this easily anymore is very frustrating.

Especially since I can go back and edit my old custom foods based on volume. Can someone from FD explain why this functionality was removed?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! That does at least let me enter in the right amount of grams for the info I have. However, when the amount of "serving" is selected, it still assumes 1 serving = 1g.

The lack of volume options annoys me too. Also, if I am able to use one volume, I should be able to use others. For example, this isn't a custom food, but I wanted to use a tablespoon of barbecue sauce. The generic barbecue sauce is selectable in cups, but not in tablespoons. That is a simple conversion the program should do automatically. Besides, a cup is a lot of barbecue sauce!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default Unrealistic portions for foods

The choices for food portions are often more for recipes than for the amount one person would eat in a meal. It requires a lot of math to convert 1 teaspoonful eaten to decimal portions of a cup.

Raisins are listed as cups. I'd like tablespoonful.
Olive oil by tablespoonful. I want teaspoon.
Almond by ounce, 22 nuts. I want 1 nut.
Pecans I want 1 half.
Flour by cup. I want tablespoonful.
Lime juice, lemon juice, vinegar by cup. I want tablespoon or teaspoon.

There are often several choices in portions. Could these be added?