Notices

Is there anywhere to record Weight Watchers Points?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

Question Is there anywhere to record Weight Watchers Points?

I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious? I started Weight Watchers Momentum program a few days ago, and it requires tracking points just like their newer Points Plus program. I'm happily adding in my custom foods this morning when I realized there isn't a place to keep track of my points here. Is there somewhere here I can keep track of my points, or do I need to find another tracker online?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

What purpose does recording your points plus here serve? The reason I ask is because WW has the online tracker which records your points and tells you how many you have left, etc. Are you not using the e-tools? I can understand that if you are doing WW on your own and haven't signed up as a member. Being a member means you get etools (your weight is indelibly marked on your online weight tracker, for example, when you weigh in!)

What is the Momentum program? Does it use Points Plus or does it use the older points?

You can just make up a custom food (called WWpoints, for instance) and just give it some dummy value if necessary. If you know what your points are for a food, you can enter 10 servings of WWpoints for a 10-points plus food (for example). But you must enter the food just the same, as a separate entry in your food log so that you can get the nutritional information, right? (eTools only deals with points plus, not nutrition) I'm trying to guess what your purpose is.

If you do the above, you won't be able to produce reports that make sense with the other reports available. By that I mean that the points won't be included in your reports. But if you don't need reports of your points (over time, for instance), then it's not an issue.

Do you want nutrition information for what you are eating or just to keep track of your points plus? If the latter, etools does that really well if you are tracking how many you have left, etc.

If the former, your nutrition information will come up because you put the food in as a separate entry, like everyone else here does.

I often read requests on other message boards for people to be able to track sugar, kinds of sugar, etc. in their nutrition. This is kind of like that.

I don't know if there are other trackers that give you a Weight Watchers points tracker. Somehow, I think that if that was part of the design of their tracker, Weight Watchers International would want a piece of that action!

I was able to create a 'WWpointsplus 1 serving equals 1 point' custom food. All this does is mark however many points plus I have eaten. It doesn't give me any nutritional information. It doesn't show up in a report. It doesn't tell me how many I have left for the day. But it does 'mark' the fact that I ate 1 point plus value. If I ate 6 points plus, I'd enter it as 6 servings.

The value to this is that I do get nutritional information and I can use the reports that fitday offers, which are about nutrition (and calories are included in that nutrition, although in your case, you're mainly concerned with your points limit).

If the Momentum program is points, not points plus, then you must be using that little cardboard thingie that lines up a few components to give you the right number. So you do the points calculation yourself and then just enter it in Fitday (as a custom food, as I described in my example - which has 0 nutrition value).

Last edited by Kathy13118; 10-19-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
What purpose does recording your points plus here serve? The reason I ask is because WW has the online tracker which records your points and tells you how many you have left, etc. Are you not using the e-tools? I can understand that if you are doing WW on your own and haven't signed up as a member. Being a member means you get etools (your weight is indelibly marked on your online weight tracker, for example, when you weigh in!)

What is the Momentum program? Does it use Points Plus or does it use the older points?

You can just make up a custom food (called WWpoints, for instance) and just give it some dummy value if necessary. If you know what your points are for a food, you can enter 10 servings of WWpoints for a 10-points plus food (for example). But you must enter the food just the same, as a separate entry in your food log so that you can get the nutritional information, right? (eTools only deals with points plus, not nutrition) I'm trying to guess what your purpose is.

If you do the above, you won't be able to produce reports that make sense with the other reports available. By that I mean that the points won't be included in your reports. But if you don't need reports of your points (over time, for instance), then it's not an issue.

Do you want nutrition information for what you are eating or just to keep track of your points plus? If the latter, etools does that really well if you are tracking how many you have left, etc.

If the former, your nutrition information will come up because you put the food in as a separate entry, like everyone else here does.

I often read requests on other message boards for people to be able to track sugar, kinds of sugar, etc. in their nutrition. This is kind of like that.

I don't know if there are other trackers that give you a Weight Watchers points tracker. Somehow, I think that if that was part of the design of their tracker, Weight Watchers International would want a piece of that action!

I was able to create a 'WWpointsplus 1 serving equals 1 point' custom food. All this does is mark however many points plus I have eaten. It doesn't give me any nutritional information. It doesn't show up in a report. It doesn't tell me how many I have left for the day. But it does 'mark' the fact that I ate 1 point plus value. If I ate 6 points plus, I'd enter it as 6 servings.
Thanks for the response If you're interested in learning more about WW Momentum, there's a great deal of information online. It's a great deal to cover here. I went to meetings several years ago, lost a great deal of weight then tried the Points Plus program and gained. Needless to say I've gone back to a program I knows that works.

I've been doing some reading here on Fitday, and apparently if I purchase a Premium membership I'm then able to track whatever I like, including points. "Track any statistic that is important to you with Custom Tracking". Problem solved.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, that's great - I didn't know about that. So, good for you!

I have done both points and points plus. Points plus does work OK for me, but I still have my little cardbord thingie in case I need to go back to the older system. I'm glad Momentum works for you - it's amazing how many variations there are of WW programs over the years. They all basically limit the calories you eat but make it easier to fit into your lifestyle and keep yourself on track.

I found a 15-year-old WW cookbook in my house while cleaning out some things recently. Of course, ALL the recipes are still good, even with points plus. You just have to figure out the points or points plus values, whatever you're following, and use that information in the framework of the diet variation you are following. It's nice.