Notices

More foods available in database?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default More foods available in database?

First let me say that I tried to post on previous threads that touched on this, but as they had been closed I had to start a new one.

The thing is, I see a hole in the foods availablel; basic, important foods such as steel cut oats. Or what about the juices from a fresh carrot, orange, apple, or celery stalk? I see plenty of canned juices & concentrate, but many of the staples that a person interested in using this site would eat are missing. I mean, it's great that you have big mac info, but I don't eat that crap.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amyoosme
First let me say that I tried to post on previous threads that touched on this, but as they had been closed I had to start a new one.

The thing is, I see a hole in the foods availablel; basic, important foods such as steel cut oats. Or what about the juices from a fresh carrot, orange, apple, or celery stalk? I see plenty of canned juices & concentrate, but many of the staples that a person interested in using this site would eat are missing. I mean, it's great that you have big mac info, but I don't eat that crap.
Thanks!
First let me say that threads are closed for Administrative reasons. Since you've got a genuine concern and there aren't many threads that discuss this topic, you've done the right thing by starting a new thread.

As far as the database is concerned, they are currently adding LOTS of new foods. I've seen it myself. And if you put requests in, through the Feedback Forum, they will add that food in. FitDay is very good about this. As far as your "big mac", well some people do eat that, and many have requested that fast foods be added to the database.

Not to discourage you in the least. So why don't you list the foods you'd like to see on this thread. You mentioned steel cut oats.

For juices, if you want the real "apple juice", made on your own with a juicer, it's really not "juice" is it? It's the pulp. Then you can add water to it if you want. So if you want the nutrient value of apple "juice", you can weigh out a raw apple, then use FD's database of [Apple, raw]. Why doesn't FitDay list "apple juice"? Probably because they vary so much, especially with added sugar content. So they'd have to list specific brands in order to be accurate. Even then, the food industry is always changing recipes. But as I mentioned, FD is currently updating their database with new foods, especially name brands.

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-10-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
First let me say that threads are closed for Administrative reasons. Since you've got a genuine concern and there aren't many threads that discuss this topic, you've done the right thing by starting a new thread.

As far as the database is concerned, they are currently adding LOTS of new foods. I've seen it myself. And if you put requests in, through the Feedback Forum, they will add that food in. FitDay is very good about this. As far as your "big mac", well some people do eat that, and many have requested that fast foods be added to the database.

Not to discourage you in the least. So why don't you list the foods you'd like to see on this thread. You mentioned steel cut oats.

For juices, if you want the real "apple juice", made on your own with a juicer, it's really not "juice" is it? It's the pulp. Then you can add water to it if you want. So if you want the nutrient value of apple "juice", you can weigh out a raw apple, then use FD's database of [Apple, raw]. Why doesn't FitDay list "apple juice"? Probably because they vary so much, especially with added sugar content. So they'd have to list specific brands in order to be accurate. Even then, the food industry is always changing recipes. But as I mentioned, FD is currently updating their database with new foods, especially name brands.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Why not let users enter a custom food and then share it with other users? I sometimes use another similar site and they give you an option of whether you want to share a custom food with everyone. I do like fitday because you can track nutrition better on here than anywhere else. So thank you for that!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jennylou311
Why not let users enter a custom food and then share it with other users? I sometimes use another similar site and they give you an option of whether you want to share a custom food with everyone. I do like fitday because you can track nutrition better on here than anywhere else. So thank you for that!
If it were up to me, I'd allow users to share custom foods.

I've seen this suggestion before, but it's been quite a while, so if this is a genuine interest of yours, go ahead and start a thread about this in "Feedback".

I guess with the option to share custom foods via "FitDay Friends", FitDay feels they've got this base covered. In a way, they do. I can view other's custom foods, but if I want to copy it I have to enter the information manually. That's pretty much a pain.

But honestly, I've been on sites that share custom foods. And guess what? 90% of the times the Nutritional Facts are either half assed, or flat out WRONG. I know for a fact that middle and high school students use those sites, and *I* personally wouldn't trust any old custom food floating around on a database, not knowing who put it up.

So now we get into the matter of verification, having users verify whether a custom food is accurate or not. See how complicated this all is? Can you imagine what the programmers have to do to set this all up? As far as they're concerned, it's more problems than it is benefits. And in a way, I agree.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

As far as the database is concerned, they are currently adding LOTS of new foods. I've seen it myself. And if you put requests in, through the Feedback Forum, they will add that food in. FitDay is very good about this.
Hi Vito,

I looked in the feedback forum for somewhere to request additions to the DB. But all I could see was a thread where someone requested a food be added to the DB, but one of the other moderators just said that the person could create their own custom food, so adding to the DB wasn't necessary.

I was hoping to have Pad Thai, California Rolls, and chicken satays added to the DB.

thanks so much

Michelle

Last edited by meking703; 02-25-2012 at 05:00 AM.