Notices

How does baseline metabolism work?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default How does baseline metabolism work?

Specifically, if I am using the 'activities' tab on the website to estimate the amount of calories I burn in a day, do I need to specify how many hours I sleep each day (as a new 'activity') in order for the calculation to be correct? Or does my estimated metabolic rate take periods of sleep into account already?

Just curious, as obviously it significantly alters my energy output
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by strawberr1es
Specifically, if I am using the 'activities' tab on the website to estimate the amount of calories I burn in a day, do I need to specify how many hours I sleep each day (as a new 'activity') in order for the calculation to be correct? Or does my estimated metabolic rate take periods of sleep into account already?

Just curious, as obviously it significantly alters my energy output
Eight hours of sleep is supposedly factored into the "lifestyle", but many of us find that adding an additional eight hours of sleep as a daily "activity" brings FitDay's metabolic rate much closer to what we find in reality. This is all, at best, a close guess and you may need to tweak your lifestyle/activities to reflect your own body.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
FitDay Member

That makes sense, adding in sleep makes my total seem much more realistic for me.
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calories Burned

Hi,
I'm new here. I entered in my info yesterday. I had burned approx. 500+ calories in exercise but it also says that in total I burned 2800+ calories the whole day. How does that work?
It says that with my lifestyle I burned 2300+ calories before I even put in the exercise info.
Can you explain? Thanks.
-Kim
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Question Calories Burned

Hi Ladies,
I entered in my info yestreday and it says that I ate 1k calories and burned 2500 calories. I exercised for an hour (approx 500 calories) so how come my total calorie burn is so high? I don't understand. I entered in all the food as accurate as possible but some of the calories were off, I'm sure I ate more than 1k calories, I hope I did!
My profile is public, please take a look and advise.

I tried to ask this question on the Feeddback area but it got moved.

Thanks girls,
-Kim
Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Calories are burned all day long, not just during exercise. It depends on your basal metabolism, and FitDay calculates how many cals you burn based on your height and weight and activity level you include when setting up your profile. Some of us find that if we log our sleep as an activity, the calorie burn comes down to a more reasonable number. Alternatively, you can go into your profile and customize it if you still feel it's inaccurate.

If your profile is public, I think you need to post a link to it in order to have folks get access to it.

Clear as mud, right? Keep asking questions if you have them. It's confusing at first but pretty soon you'll be a veteran!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

OK, thanks. I'm getting the hang of it.