Notices
Like Tree3Likes

Please delete my FitDay account (Moderated thread)

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by danielcarter
I'm in the exact same boat. I signed up years ago and still get annoying nag emails. I also can't find any way to make it stop.
What emails are you referring to and how often do you get them? I don't know if I've ever received an email from FitDay.

Originally Posted by danielcarter
I am also a software developer, and I don't want to hear that crap about "you want them to take time to remove you from X or Y database". Yes, if you take people's personal information, even for a free service, ESPECIALLY something like personal health, I believe you have an obligation to allow users to remove or redact that personal information.

I'm not saying that I want you to dig into your DB by hand and personally write the delete statement, I'm saying you should have designed a methodology for me to do it.

And don't get snide about "tech people's time" with my personal information. Obviously if the "premium accounts" have the ability to do it that methodology exists; they should have exposed the function to their free clients as well. I see this as holding my information hostage.

You won't remove my HEALTH INFORMATION until I pay for an account? That's the very definition of "hostage".
I'm sorry that you feel that FitDay is holding your information "hostage". Any information that FitDay gets on a user was freely given by that user, FitDay doesn't go out and "take" information.

Did you try contacting FitDay directly, via the link provided below about your concerns?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default @ danielcarter

Also, being a software developer, you are familiar with Terms of Service. Here is FitDay's regarding your "hostage data"

Intellectual Property

You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on or through the Site or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth below, and (ii) the Posting of your content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.

By displaying or posting content on the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site. You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site. These nonexclusive publishing license and resale/adaptation rights extend to any materials submitted "for publication" within the Site, including both message board postings and content submitted for uploading and subsequent publishing within non-message board portions of the Site. Neither we nor our staff will be responsible for any misleading, false or otherwise injurious information and advice communicated on the Site or for any results obtained from the use of such information or advice. We will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a user through the user's reliance on information and advice gained on the Site.

Did you read the TOS when you signed up? Your data is located on the "non-message board portion of the site", so you are out of luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
FitDay Member

Now, that's what I would call a "spirited" response!... At this point, I'd say there should be no further need to get all roused up about this topic...
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

I'm probably just talking to a one post wonder anyway. OPW's abound on FD.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Well too bad. I've said it. And I'll say it again: "Now you want a tech to take the time to go in and delete all your data from 2 separate databases, on an anonymous account that nobody but you will ever know about."

That capability was NOT built into FitDay to begin with. So I stand behind my "Now you want a tech to take the time to go in and delete all your data from 2 separate databases, on an anonymous account that nobody but you will ever know about."

Not getting snide, stating FACTS. And your facts are **wrong**. There it NO CAPABILITY built in; only with the Premium accounts will a tech go in and delete the data. Get it? Good!

Take that, software developer!

By the way... "exposed the function"??? Do you mean GIVEN PERMISSIONS??? You don't even talk like a developer so I call you on this as well.
Wow! The way you talk to people VitoVino... Rude. Think I will go use another site - Thanks for the inspiration. No need to be part of a community with people like you who are so very condescending. A little smiley face at the end of your very rude sentences is like spit in the face. Try reading "Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ" by Daniel Goleman and maybe you can learn how you can use psychology to help relieve people's aggravations rather than making it worse.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks anyway

My information may be wrong, but I got that information directly from this very thread.

01gt4.6 said:
we have been told that the only accounts that can be deleted are premium accounts, non paying members can just stop using the site at any time.

Also, by the way, you were getting snide. You still are. This next statement is snide.

VitoVino said:
Not getting snide, stating FACTS. And your facts are **wrong**. There it NO CAPABILITY built in; only with the Premium accounts will a tech go in and delete the data. Get it? Good!
Your statement actually confirmed exactly what I said before. You said, in that very statement, that you won't remove my health information until I pay for an account. I consider that a problem.

VitoVino said:
By the way... "exposed the function"??? Do you mean GIVEN PERMISSIONS??? You don't even talk like a developer so I call you on this as well.
My choice of wording in relation to "giving permissions" was a more general way to reference functions that are available to end users. Whether it involves "giving permission", exposing another final endpoint to a service, or WHATEVER the idea is the same. And irrelevant to the argument. Not all developers walk and talk the same, develop in the same languages, or use the same technologies.

VitoVino said:
There it NO CAPABILITY built in; only with the Premium accounts will a tech go in and delete the data.
If the capability wasn't built in, that isn't an argument for why you're right. It's actually shows that this is either poorly designed system, was built specifically to retain info even after users leave, or they simply missed something that we (as users) feel was necessary.

VitoVino said:
I'm probably just talking to a one post wonder anyway. OPW's abound on FD.
Does this give you some sort of psycological upper-hand? Make you feel better about ripping someone open for asking such a simple request?

I have no desire to hear from you again, although I'm sure I will. I will be ignoring any further "advice" or "help" that you provide.

Now, to acknowledge a more reasonable post:

01gt4.6
What emails are you referring to and how often do you get them? I don't know if I've ever received an email from FitDay.
I don't get them terribly often, but once in a while I get a "Sign up for FitDay Premium!" solicitation. I could deal with the emails (just delete them when I get them), but I literally do not use the service at all, so I have to wonder if the emails will ever end.

And for me, the concern over my personal health data is of more important. People's fitness is a very personal matter.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

danielcarter, as far as emails I must not get them because I'm already a premium member. Does your email service let you block an email address or report at spam? Have you tried to change your email address under the profile tab?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by danelledawnc
Wow! The way you talk to people VitoVino... Rude.
Yes, this is very rude of me to state the Terms of Service, PROVING that you don't have a leg to stand on regarding "hostage" data:

Intellectual Property

You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on or through the Site or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth below, and (ii) the Posting of your content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.

By displaying or posting content on the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site. You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site. These nonexclusive publishing license and resale/adaptation rights extend to any materials submitted "for publication" within the Site, including both message board postings and content submitted for uploading and subsequent publishing within non-message board portions of the Site. Neither we nor our staff will be responsible for any misleading, false or otherwise injurious information and advice communicated on the Site or for any results obtained from the use of such information or advice. We will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a user through the user's reliance on information and advice gained on the Site.

Did you read the TOS when you signed up? Your data is located on the "non-message board portion of the site", so you are out of luck.

Originally Posted by danelledawnc
Think I will go use another site - Thanks for the inspiration. No need to be part of a community with people like you who are so very condescending.
By the way, this makes no sense. So you want your data deleted because you are leaving the site, but because someone points out to you that it's not going to happen you are threatening to leave... twice?

Last edited by VitoVino; 06-12-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

@ danelledawnc

AND

@ danielcarter

Complain all you want about your data not getting deleted, and how it's being held "hostage". And since you demand a shoulder to cry on, and tell me I'm "rude" for stating the cold hard facts, I offer you this:

Last edited by VitoVino; 06-12-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

Ha, nice, you found an image of a tissue box, you're so clever VitoVino. Pretty funny too. And much smarter than me, wow.

01gt4.6
I just received another email (Subject "The Guide to Skinny Summer Drinks – June 2012"), so I would say that marks an increase in email activity from the system. I could just mark these emails as spam, and will do so if I must, but the emails are a reminder that I have personal health data sitting in some service that I can't redact or remove.

Marking these as spam would kinda be like taking Advil for a severed limb. It would abate my immediate symptoms, but there's still the underlying problem (that being my perpetual membership on some site I don't use.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.