FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   Why isn't Elliptical an Option? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/612-why-isnt-elliptical-option.html)

BrookeElisabeth 03-10-2010 02:48 PM

Why isn't Elliptical an Option?

I've been a member for a while.

However, I can not fathom as to why elliptical isn't an activity option when everything from "Anishinaabe Jingle Dancing or other traditional American Indian dancing" to "retreat/family reunion activities involving sitting, relaxing, talking, eating" is listed.

Anyone else curious? It's frustrating, when that is a machine that is in every gym and it is also not too expensive to buy for a home gym.

Thanks for reading.

Brooke

wendymariew 03-10-2010 04:10 PM

Good question, I was wondering the same myself.

Lizzycritter 03-11-2010 04:35 AM

I use "ski machine"

freundac 03-11-2010 12:01 PM

Elliptical

I third the motion. I thought I was crazy because I couldn't find elliptical on any of the lists. Glad I'm not the only one looking. I looked at ski machine but I definitely burn more calories than the stated.

BrookeElisabeth 03-11-2010 12:28 PM

Thank you for the replies so far.

I also use ski machine, however when all the other crazy exercise options are considered, it just doesn't seem to make any sense not to have elliptical listed.

DanielCBarras 03-12-2010 04:38 AM

I think I know the answer. It's one of the most used machine's in exercise SO... they included it in their FitDay Premium and PC programs, but not the web so that you'd have to fork over money... simple.

almeeker 03-12-2010 06:43 AM

Count me in, I elliptical every morning for 45-60 minutes. I don't use ski machine I use "running 12 minute mile", unless I go really fast then I use "running 9 or 10 minute mile". The calories it generates sort of line up with what the machine says. Yeah, I hate to say it but it smells like a way to make you pay to me as well.

uscgusn 03-17-2010 02:43 AM

I have the same issue

I agree with what was said. My machine is not a great one and the calorie count is probably off (does not even ask for my weight). So I thought this program would help (NOT). I run 45 to 60 min with a 5 min cool down 5 days a week. I set the resistance to 5 and push it to 6 or 7 for the last minute of each 5 min period and do about 65 RPMs. I used the 10 min/mile formula but that said 600 and some calories, my machine said 1322. BIG DIFFERENCE!

uscgusn 03-25-2010 01:49 AM

I now use 5.5 Min miles

I have not run that fast since high school, but the calorie count is only 100 less than what my machine says it is, so it is probably closer than the 10 min mile I was using. What ever the case may be, I have lost 6lbs in two weeks because of this web page, so I'm happy! :D

I think maybe the reason why the elliptical is not on here is because there are so many variation. It really does depend on your RPMs and the resistance settings you use as to how many calories you burn. So a blanket calorie count for number of minutes using just would not work. (IMHO).

jonr71 03-26-2010 03:33 AM

I use the "stationary bike" options and try to find the ones that most closely reflect the calorie burn for the program I am on. The intervals program on the ellipticals at my gym (at level 10 of 25) has a calorie burn of ~730 calories per hour so about 12 calories per minute. That is about the same as the "stationary bike: vigorous effort" option.

I guess if you know the wattage of the excercise and your weight you could work out the calorie burn... I might look that up...

jonr71 03-26-2010 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jonr71 (Post 6846)
I use the "stationary bike" options and try to find the ones that most closely reflect the calorie burn for the program I am on. The intervals program on the ellipticals at my gym (at level 10 of 25) has a calorie burn of ~730 calories per hour so about 12 calories per minute. That is about the same as the "stationary bike: vigorous effort" option.

I guess if you know the wattage of the excercise and your weight you could work out the calorie burn... I might look that up...

I thought I had found the answer here

Calories Burned - Free guide to increase Calories Burned

but this just seems to be the source of fitday's data. No mention of eliptical. A good place to get estimate though.

Scraps2point0 03-31-2010 03:35 PM

I can't find bicycling, either. =/ These both should be added.

flacafea 04-05-2010 03:59 PM

I have the Fitday premium plan and the elliptical is not on the list still. I'm very frustrated. I kinda regret not going back to weight watchers.

MagickalMom 04-06-2010 07:46 PM

Nope

Originally Posted by DanielCBarras (Post 5730)
I think I know the answer. It's one of the most used machine's in exercise SO... they included it in their FitDay Premium and PC programs, but not the web so that you'd have to fork over money... simple.

Its not on any version of FitDay unfortunately. :( Its really a pain in the arse to keep substituting things. Why can't we just custom add an exercise and our own numbers directly from the machines we use?! Just like adding a custom food!:rolleyes:

TerrySommerville 04-08-2010 03:01 AM

I just joined and I do the elyptical everyday. How is this NOT an option? I may be quitting this program too. How can we accuratley count calories burned if we are all guessing which archaic(sp) options? I thought maybe the ergonomic stair climber could be an option to choose? :confused:

zeta.ace 04-19-2010 08:44 AM

stair-treadmill ergometer

I think the option for Stair-treadmill ergometer = elliptical. I looked up a picture of the stair-treadmill ergometer and it looks like an elliptical. :)

almeeker 04-19-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jonr71 (Post 6846)

Yep, about 12 calories/minute for me too. Which is about the same as the 7.5 mile/hour running that I've been using lately.

jennygoodman 04-30-2010 02:58 AM

I also use the stair-treadmill ergometer. It seems to be the closest match to the calories I burn on the treadmill.

For an "average" person, you burn 612 calories per hour on a stair-treadmill ergometer; if I use the "average" weight of 150 pounds on my elliptical, it also says approximately 605-610 pounds.

Granted, I weigh a little more than the average person, so you have to adjust accordingly, but this is the option I prefer to use on Fitday!

jerihurd 05-09-2010 04:18 AM

Yeah, I was wondering that, too!

MollySue2 05-09-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps2point0 (Post 7304)
I can't find bicycling, either. =/ These both should be added.

They call it "biking". It took me a couple of days to figure that out :)

summerqueenmc 05-11-2010 02:29 PM

I just joined this online site, I was also wondering about this topic. What do you chart it under?I want to be honest in my journaling , but not sure how to count this exercise.

jdoyle3 05-24-2010 12:08 PM

I completely agree. Why not allow a custom exercise? I use an elliptical and it gives me a readout of my calories burned. Since I have a) entered my weight, b) wear a heart monitor, and c) it keeps track of the wattage, I would bet its calorie readout is more accurate that any canned estimates that the FitDay folks would be able to program in, given all the variables. I would just like a way to journal what the elliptical is already telling me. A custom activity would allow me to do that.

JasonKoller 05-24-2010 05:38 PM

Previous post

I asked the same question a while back.
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...l-machine.html

millenniumteacher 07-04-2010 11:20 AM

Where is Elliptical in activies

:confused:I just started fit day. My goal is to loose 50lb in 6 months. I use my elliptical every day but I cannot find elliptical on the fitness chart. I found stationary bike under conditioning. Is it in the activities list? Can I put in a custom workout if I know my miles, calories etc?

ivey6 07-05-2010 08:58 PM

hi, I want to know this too

sarkai90 07-05-2010 09:56 PM

It isn't listed under activities, but you can cheat a little and put it under "health club exercise, general" for the amount of time that will give you an accurate calorie burn. I don't know if there's a better way to do it so that you can track miles and all, but this is the way I enter my work out if I don't see it on the list. If you don't have an accurate way to know how many calories you burned, you can use the website:

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Estimator

It was mentioned in a thread by someone here (sorry, can't remember who it was) and it's a great tool. Hope that helps. :)

superhappybunny 07-07-2010 11:10 PM

elliptical

I put "ski machine"

Jenny Nussbaum 07-08-2010 12:08 AM

I also put ski machine and it seems to come pretty close.

chriseconway 07-14-2010 01:06 PM

elliptical

Hey, I too was looking for an exercise for working on my elliptical and treadmill seemed too lean on calories lost. I tried the site recommended and the calories seemed more accurate being as though you enter your weight.

anyone set up a schedule for quick weight loss for themselves using walking/elliptical training? Day 22 of FitDay and loving it! For sure 8 pounds...
;)

ove2ipod 09-20-2010 12:00 PM

love the elliptical

Can we get the elliptical added to conditioning choices??? It is one of my standard cardio workouts and I love it. Which exercise is closest to it?

Davealans 09-20-2010 12:47 PM

elliptical machine

elliptical machines are found in nearly every fitness center today. They should certainly be included in the conditioning activities area.

Lizzycritter 09-22-2010 03:45 AM

I use "ski machine".

RD2B 10-21-2010 02:04 PM

Elliptical machine

What is the best way to track exercise on an elliptical machine? I don't see an entry specifically for it. I am using brisk walking for now, but wonder if there is a better way.

sharonpn01 10-23-2010 11:38 AM

I use the entry for Stair/Treadmill Ergometer (sp???) to log my elliptical time. HTH

Sharon

nikivogl 02-01-2011 11:45 AM

Elliptical or pilates options for the activities tab?

Hi all,

I'm new to FitDay and have just started setting up daily logs for myself. So far, I have not been able to find an option in the daily activities log for either the elliptical or pilates. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge on the subject? Thanks.

behaze 02-02-2011 03:22 PM

I'm having the same problem. I try to do at least half-hour of pilates per day. I've been listing it under 'yoga - hatha' so far, though I'm not sure what the calories-burned difference would be. Pilates is a pretty common form of exercise. Surprised it's not on here while 'ballroom dancing' is . . .

Sharmell 02-06-2011 07:47 AM

I just started doing pilates as well and am surprised they don't include it in the activities. Anyone know how to have them add it or add it ourselves? The yoga option shows less calories burned than what you should be burning for pilates. There is a website that has almost every activity possible that calculates your calories burned according to exercise/time/weight. Then I suggest you find an activity that burns close to that amount to log your calories burned.

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Calculator,

behaze 02-06-2011 01:13 PM

Wow - there's a huge difference. The website you linked to said 30 mins of advanced pilates burns 230 calories, which is more than this site's estimation for 30 minutes of high impact aerobics. Now I'm confused. :confused:

spearfisher 02-08-2011 05:18 AM

Likewise for the elliptical. I have been putting it under stairmaster. Seems to be giving me credit for the same amount of burn that the computer on the machine is giving me. I just went with it.

betsyschro 02-09-2011 02:36 AM

stair-treadmill ergometer

There is something to select called the "stair-treadmill ergometer" and when I do it by time, FitDay usually produces the same amount of calories burned as the machine had said.