Notices

Hello-question about this site!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello-question about this site!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am trying the cave man diet. I just had a question. I put that my lifestyle is seated, with some movement, just because I work at a desk all day and I am taking 3 online college classes and am a single mom of two kids. It says that I will burn over 2700 calories in a 24 hour period with this lifestyle. Does this mean I have been eating more than that amount of calories in a 24 hour period and that is why I have gained weight? And all I have to do to lose weight is eat less than 2700 calories in a 24 hour period? Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?

Sasha
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sashabound
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am trying the cave man diet. I just had a question. I put that my lifestyle is seated, with some movement, just because I work at a desk all day and I am taking 3 online college classes and am a single mom of two kids. It says that I will burn over 2700 calories in a 24 hour period with this lifestyle. Does this mean I have been eating more than that amount of calories in a 24 hour period and that is why I have gained weight? And all I have to do to lose weight is eat less than 2700 calories in a 24 hour period? Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?

Sasha
Hey Sasha

The calories burned per day will differ from person to person due to their gender, age, height, weight and lifestyle. Fitday will work out out the calories burned per day using this data so if you just check what you have put in then if its right then fitday is right.

In order to lose weight you simply need a calorific deficit per day, or on average over a week. This should relate to how much weight you will lose. Eg 3500 calories = 1 lb of weight, so using your fitday allowance of 2700 per day or 18900 per week you have up to 2200 calories per day or 15400 per week in order to lose 1lb per week. If you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week you can consume 1700 per day.

If you update your weight goal on fitday it will tell you your calorific balance in order to hit you target.

I know 2700 calories seems quite alot and as everybody burns calories differently this can never be an exact figure.

The best thing to do is use fitday to give you a more confident figure of what you can eat to burn weight.

Make sure you record EVERYTHING you eat and every bit of exercise for at least a week. When you compare you weight at start of week to end of week you should be able to see a difference will runs in line with what your weekly consumption has been. Eg if you have eaten 3500 calories less during the week you should lose a 1lb in weight. Won't always work out this exact but gives you an idea.

Everyone on here is here to help and i'm sure there will be some more knowledgable people to answer this too.

Not sure what your weight loss goals are but you should join in on the 10% weightloss by new year thread. Good support on there.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Sasha,

MonkeyDave gave you some pretty solid advice.

Personally, I've found that I need to log sleep to give a more accurate burn that seems to match up better with how much weight I actually lose per week - without logging sleep, FitDay gives me a burn of around 2200 kcal, but with logging sleep, it gives me around 1860, and that seems more accurate to me.

It's up to you whether or not you want to log sleep, but either way, good luck and welcome!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
with logging sleep, it gives me around 1860, and that seems more accurate to me.

It's up to you whether or not you want to log sleep, but either way, good luck and welcome!
I presumed that fitday would base the calories burned through lifestyle as including sleep, (maybe based at 8 hours). Got that one wrong

Probably would work better logging sleep, but as I don't have record of hours slept over last few days I'll just work without putting hours slept in for the short term and possibly if and when I hit plateu I will record everything to see where and why my weighloss has stopped.

Good work Taubele!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyDave19
I presumed that fitday would base the calories burned through lifestyle as including sleep, (maybe based at 8 hours). Got that one wrong

Probably would work better logging sleep, but as I don't have record of hours slept over last few days I'll just work without putting hours slept in for the short term and possibly if and when I hit plateu I will record everything to see where and why my weighloss has stopped.

Good work Taubele!
We've been told that FitDay does figure eight hours of sleep into the formula, but still, many of us find that the calorie burn it calculates is optimistic. Adding "another" eight hours of sleep seems to bring it down closer to what reality dictates.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

I agree adding sleep as an activity seems to balance it out.

I am going to attempt to answer the other portion of your question ...
Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?
The reason that it is allowing you 2700 calories per day should relate to your current physical condition. I am so sorry if I am wrong on this but I would say that you are currently pretty heavy. I know this because after losing 50 lbs I am still allowed to eat 2100 calories and get a 3500 calorie burn per week. I am still in the morbidly obese category. Please forgive me if my information is wrong. But as you lose weight the amount of calories you can take in will decrease as your body size does. I hope that I have not worded this in a way that will offend you. It takes far more energy just to go through your day as a heavy person than it does for a smaller person.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Wildbeans,
I am 5"8' and about 199. Well, I guess I might as well say 200..lol.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the advice. Logging sleep seems to make sense. I was eating very low carbs for about a week and I was feeling very strange so I decided to get back on the carbs! lol. I'm feeling much better now. I just have to be careful because I believe I am a carboholic.

Thanks again,
Sasha
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sashabound
Thank you everyone for the advice. Logging sleep seems to make sense. I was eating very low carbs for about a week and I was feeling very strange so I decided to get back on the carbs! lol. I'm feeling much better now. I just have to be careful because I believe I am a carboholic.

Thanks again,
Sasha
We're about the same size now, and at 1500 cals I lose pretty consistantly. At higher levels, not so much. Plus, as a man my metabolism is naturally geared a bit faster.

I, too, am a carb freak. But, I've found that if they are complex carbs that I don't have a problem. I generally avoid white bread and never, ever go near anything that resembles candy, desserts, bakery items (cake, pie, donuts and the like).

Regards,
Michael