Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay Classic Feedback and Support
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to sashabound
Default Hello-question about this site!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am trying the cave man diet. I just had a question. I put that my lifestyle is seated, with some movement, just because I work at a desk all day and I am taking 3 online college classes and am a single mom of two kids. It says that I will burn over 2700 calories in a 24 hour period with this lifestyle. Does this mean I have been eating more than that amount of calories in a 24 hour period and that is why I have gained weight? And all I have to do to lose weight is eat less than 2700 calories in a 24 hour period? Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?

Sasha
sashabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashabound View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am trying the cave man diet. I just had a question. I put that my lifestyle is seated, with some movement, just because I work at a desk all day and I am taking 3 online college classes and am a single mom of two kids. It says that I will burn over 2700 calories in a 24 hour period with this lifestyle. Does this mean I have been eating more than that amount of calories in a 24 hour period and that is why I have gained weight? And all I have to do to lose weight is eat less than 2700 calories in a 24 hour period? Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?

Sasha
Hey Sasha

The calories burned per day will differ from person to person due to their gender, age, height, weight and lifestyle. Fitday will work out out the calories burned per day using this data so if you just check what you have put in then if its right then fitday is right.

In order to lose weight you simply need a calorific deficit per day, or on average over a week. This should relate to how much weight you will lose. Eg 3500 calories = 1 lb of weight, so using your fitday allowance of 2700 per day or 18900 per week you have up to 2200 calories per day or 15400 per week in order to lose 1lb per week. If you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week you can consume 1700 per day.

If you update your weight goal on fitday it will tell you your calorific balance in order to hit you target.

I know 2700 calories seems quite alot and as everybody burns calories differently this can never be an exact figure.

The best thing to do is use fitday to give you a more confident figure of what you can eat to burn weight.

Make sure you record EVERYTHING you eat and every bit of exercise for at least a week. When you compare you weight at start of week to end of week you should be able to see a difference will runs in line with what your weekly consumption has been. Eg if you have eaten 3500 calories less during the week you should lose a 1lb in weight. Won't always work out this exact but gives you an idea.

Everyone on here is here to help and i'm sure there will be some more knowledgable people to answer this too.

Not sure what your weight loss goals are but you should join in on the 10% weightloss by new year thread. Good support on there.
__________________
Dave
MonkeyDave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
taubele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,023
Default

Hi Sasha,

MonkeyDave gave you some pretty solid advice.

Personally, I've found that I need to log sleep to give a more accurate burn that seems to match up better with how much weight I actually lose per week - without logging sleep, FitDay gives me a burn of around 2200 kcal, but with logging sleep, it gives me around 1860, and that seems more accurate to me.

It's up to you whether or not you want to log sleep, but either way, good luck and welcome!
__________________
Terri
Female, 31 years old, 5'4 1/2" tall
Starting weight 1/4/11 = 215.2 lbs.
Weight 9/19/14 = 176.6 (net: -38.6)
Last mini-goal: 180 lbs. REACHED! Reward - new sports bra
Current min-goal: 175 lbs.
Next large goal: 165 lbs. by 12/25/2014
Lowest weight: 156.7 lbs.
150.2 lbs. <--- Official "Healthy BMI" weight
Estimated final goal: 130-140 lbs.
"You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."
taubele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubele View Post
with logging sleep, it gives me around 1860, and that seems more accurate to me.

It's up to you whether or not you want to log sleep, but either way, good luck and welcome!
I presumed that fitday would base the calories burned through lifestyle as including sleep, (maybe based at 8 hours). Got that one wrong

Probably would work better logging sleep, but as I don't have record of hours slept over last few days I'll just work without putting hours slept in for the short term and possibly if and when I hit plateu I will record everything to see where and why my weighloss has stopped.

Good work Taubele!
__________________
Dave
MonkeyDave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDave19 View Post
I presumed that fitday would base the calories burned through lifestyle as including sleep, (maybe based at 8 hours). Got that one wrong

Probably would work better logging sleep, but as I don't have record of hours slept over last few days I'll just work without putting hours slept in for the short term and possibly if and when I hit plateu I will record everything to see where and why my weighloss has stopped.

Good work Taubele!
We've been told that FitDay does figure eight hours of sleep into the formula, but still, many of us find that the calorie burn it calculates is optimistic. Adding "another" eight hours of sleep seems to bring it down closer to what reality dictates.

Regards,
Michael
__________________
47 M 5'8"

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

I agree adding sleep as an activity seems to balance it out.

I am going to attempt to answer the other portion of your question ...
Quote:
Most diets say 1200 to 1500 calories a day and the rest of the time I'm sleeping so I am not eating. Why do i have to eat so little and work out so much if all I have to do is eat under 2700 calories a day?
The reason that it is allowing you 2700 calories per day should relate to your current physical condition. I am so sorry if I am wrong on this but I would say that you are currently pretty heavy. I know this because after losing 50 lbs I am still allowed to eat 2100 calories and get a 3500 calorie burn per week. I am still in the morbidly obese category. Please forgive me if my information is wrong. But as you lose weight the amount of calories you can take in will decrease as your body size does. I hope that I have not worded this in a way that will offend you. It takes far more energy just to go through your day as a heavy person than it does for a smaller person.
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to sashabound
Default

Hello Wildbeans,
I am 5"8' and about 199. Well, I guess I might as well say 200..lol.
sashabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to sashabound
Default Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the advice. Logging sleep seems to make sense. I was eating very low carbs for about a week and I was feeling very strange so I decided to get back on the carbs! lol. I'm feeling much better now. I just have to be careful because I believe I am a carboholic.

Thanks again,
Sasha
sashabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashabound View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. Logging sleep seems to make sense. I was eating very low carbs for about a week and I was feeling very strange so I decided to get back on the carbs! lol. I'm feeling much better now. I just have to be careful because I believe I am a carboholic.

Thanks again,
Sasha
We're about the same size now, and at 1500 cals I lose pretty consistantly. At higher levels, not so much. Plus, as a man my metabolism is naturally geared a bit faster.

I, too, am a carb freak. But, I've found that if they are complex carbs that I don't have a problem. I generally avoid white bread and never, ever go near anything that resembles candy, desserts, bakery items (cake, pie, donuts and the like).

Regards,
Michael
__________________
47 M 5'8"

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fitday questions, sleep activity

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2