Notices

Why so many scam ads?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why so many scam ads?

Why do Fitday continue to run so many scam ads for acai berry supplements (free trial turns into monthyl payment for shipments you signed up for in the free trial) and 'try this wierd old trick' which is total tosh.

When will Fitday drag themselves out of the gutter on this point and start supporting us with valid and genuine adverts which I understand they need to run to make money to support the site.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

LOL the post comes up and the ads above it are: 'Flat belly veggies', '3 foods to NEVER eat', '15 foods to NEVER eat' and '5 foods that KILL fat'.

Sort yourself out FD!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

The way most of those ads work is through a third party such as Google or an ad broker.
The software picks up keywords in the site and feeds ads that match those words.

The level of scammery is extremely high in the supplement and diet industry as well as the "miracle foods" multi-level marketing scams.

If this were an automotive or hang-gliding site, the ad mix would be different.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

The paid advertisers play a part in keeping this site up and running. As with anything you have to use common sense and filter out the bad from the good. Just as there may be members that post up diet tricks that you may not agree with. FitDay can't play detective or Myth Busters and filter it out. If you have personally been scammed by one of our advertisers please let us know so we can look into it, if you just "suspect" something to be a scam, that's a different story. However, if there is a member trying to advertise for free, you can bet that it'll be filtered out for you. If you feel that the acai berry thing is a scam don't buy it.

Another option would be to become a premium member and remove the ads all together.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 09-06-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
The paid advertisers play a part in keeping this site up and running. As with anything you have to use common sense and filter out the bad from the good. Just as there may be members that post up diet tricks that you may not agree with. FitDay can't play detective or Myth Busters and filter it out. If you have personally been scammed by one of our advertisers please let us know so we can look into it, if you just "suspect" something to be a scam, that's a different story. However, if there is a member trying to advertise for free, you can bet that it'll be filtered out for you. If you feel that the acai berry thing is a scam don't buy it.

Another option would be to become a premium member and remove the ads all together.
I was thinking of others. I appreciate the site needs ads, I believe I mentioned this. I just feel sad that a site such as this should continue to allow obvious diet scam ads (you and I know they are).

In the end it has no bearing on me as I am not going to use them.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Well, this goes to all of our members... if ANY of the advertisers have scammed anyone here, let us know. I don't think that FitDay will remove any advertiser based on a hunch that it's a scam, I could be wrong.

To be honest I haven't seen advertisements on any website in over a year. I couldn't even tell you which ones advertise here, so NO I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE SCAMS. Thanks for assuming that I do.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

They are all content based so because this site is so centered on fitness & nutrition & diet they send ads that are associated with those topics. Google themselves probably doesn't even control that.

Example....a few weeks ago there was a thread that centered around a girdle, all the ads I saw on the page were bras & lingerie.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Administrator

01gt4.6 is right -- we have no reports of scams on FitDay, and if we did we would certainly remove those ads from our mix.

Going forward, if you have a question about a particular ad's veracity or it bothers you in some way, please report it. You can post a screenshot here.

But as it's been said here, the reality is that the fitness and weight-loss space has an advertising pool that consists largely of this type of ad, and it would not be possible to block them all. But if you see something egregious, we definitely want to know, and protect our community from it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
FitDay Member

I have to say that I raised an eyebrow at the McDonalds ads popping up. lol
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nichaleh
I have to say that I raised an eyebrow at the McDonalds ads popping up. lol
I would too -- if you see something like that, please take a screen shot and post it or send it to us via the Contact Us link below. Fast food ads are NOT approved for FitDay.

Thanks,

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.