Notices

calories burned..

Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

Default calories burned..

I put my 'lifestyle' as mostly seated with some movement, and the website automatically entered the time for that as 24 hours a day. I think that is screwing up my total calories burned because let's be honest, if i sleep for 8 hours then i'm only active for 16 hours a day. I was wondering if there was a way to change the time for lifestyle because i haven't been able to figure it out.
thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 PM
FitDay Premium Member

The programmers tell us that eight hours of sleep is figured into each "lifestyle". Nevertheless, many people, myself included, add an "extra" eight hours of sleep each day which seems to bring our daily calorie burn to a figure more in tune with reality.

In any case, calorie burn calculations are at best a guess. Everyone will need to fine-tune his or her numbers to some extent. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

ok I'll give that a try! thanks michael!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
In any case, calorie burn calculations are at best a guess. Everyone will need to fine-tune his or her numbers to some extent. Hope this helps.

How true. Nothing really made sense to me the first month, but I figured why worry about it, I'm STILL losing weight. After a month, I went back and customized my Lifestyle Baseline Metabolism. I back calculated the number after figuring the amount of actual pounds lost versus the number I should have lost based upon this number, in conjunction with the Lifestyle Activity Level (along with daily activities including sleep).

Of course, as I understand it, the more weight I lose, the more this metabolism number will go down, so I reckon I'll have to keep adjusting/lowering this number monthly until I level out in weight.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
How true. Nothing really made sense to me the first month, but I figured why worry about it, I'm STILL losing weight. After a month, I went back and customized my Lifestyle Baseline Metabolism. I back calculated the number after figuring the amount of actual pounds lost versus the number I should have lost based upon this number, in conjunction with the Lifestyle Activity Level (along with daily activities including sleep).

Of course, as I understand it, the more weight I lose, the more this metabolism number will go down, so I reckon I'll have to keep adjusting/lowering this number monthly until I level out in weight.
FitDay takes your weight into consideration when calculating your daily burn. You will see your BMR go down as your weight decreases. When I started, mine was over 4,000 a day w/no exercise. Now it's right around 2400 with the same settings (just a couple hundred pounds less weight ;-)

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, that is some decrease!

Thanks for the helpful insight on BMR.