Notices

Custom base metabolism

Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Custom base metabolism

Mike,

I searched for metabolism and didn't find anything reported.

1) One calculation for base metabolism appears off.

I should say that it displays

"According to the Harris-Benedict estimate, your Baseline Metabolism is 1,710 calories per day." on the customize page but ...

the balance report shows

Calories Burned Today 24:00 2,928
walking brisk, walking for exercise (3.5 mph) 242 milekmmyrdft
Lifestyle Seated, Some Movement(Customize) 23:05 2,686
Calories Burned Today 24:00 2,928

Other calculators I found give a base closer to 2500.
I weight 175 and am 6' / 52 y.o. (male)

The one on the report is obviously closer.

How can I customize it though?

2) Custom
WHen I try to override the calculated by entering something in the custom it appears to be adding values on the balance report. Is that the way it is supposed to work. I ended up with calories burned over 4K.

Please advise ...

Thanks,

FIN

Last edited by FutureizNow; 05-31-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

I'm about to leave the office and I'll be away from a computer for an hour or so. I'll check back and see if I can figure it out.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

as far as custom. Select "Custom Baseline", then enter the calories in the blank below (try maybe 1300, you can adjust from there but that should be ~400 less than the Harris-Benedict Equation). Make sure you click Save Changes! If that doesn't work let me know. This should bring you down to around 2500 cals.

One other thing that I do, and many others do is to log your sleep. That alone may bring the number close to where you want to be.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 05-31-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

Ah I see you answered already! Great.

I was going to update that I think I understand the difference.

The one on the customize page is the base metabolism, assuming zero activity.

The one on the activity list (much higher) assumes a certain amount of activity ... an average across the day probably.

WHen you enter a specific activity, it must back out the assumed activity amount and enter the specific calorie expenditure, so that activity is not double counted.

That would explain the reduction when sleep is entered.

I'll play with that sleep and customize amount....

Also Mike, what is the timeout for signon expiry? It seems to be really short, like an hour perhaps? Would it increase overhead to permit signon only once a day perhaps. I am accepting cookies (using IE 7).

THanks!

Last edited by FutureizNow; 05-31-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what the time limit is b/c I never save my history. I have to log in every single time. I don't know that it's an issue that they are trying to correct though.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

H Mike,

The question I have boils down to what activiities are included in the lifestyle calories that are computed?

For example, some of the multipliers that are used appear to be 1.4, 1.55, 1.8 roughly corresponding to light, moderate and heavy physical activity ratios used for example in

http://www.tsimane.org/NSftraining/F...ivity-2005.pdf

These ratios assume certain activities. For example a certain amount of housework and a certain amount of exercise can be included. Adding the activity will create a lerger deficit than it should, unless there is some serious computation being done to determine if the activity is included in the lifestyle multipler already(which is averaged over 24 hours) or exceeds it. If that isn't done a larger than actual deficit can be created.

Sleep is always assumed to be 8 hours, so should not have to be entered unless it exceeds this amount. Likewise stuff like housework. But the thing is at what quantity should it be entered? This will vary according to the lifestyle.

Not to overcomplicate or overanalyse, but if more information about what activities/amounts are included in the lifestyle can be provided, it would enable the user to know when an activity should be entered additionally or not.

It's pretty simple to use now, and don't want to mess that up either.
Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

FIN
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

this is my thought on BMR...
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...-activity.html
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Yes I agree that BMR and resting activity seem about the same.
I haven't tried that myself. Your comment about 12 hours for the BMR
does make me wonder ... I will certainly start adding in some sleep.

It's funny that one has to guess though. Does the company
have a development department that can explain precisely
how the calc works or is supposed to?

Cheers,

FIN
Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default This may not help but it's all I can suggest.

IMO there is no "one size fits all" so the numbers will always be an estimate, as with everything. I don't think that any calculation or formula will be 100% accurate, just as I can lift weights with someone the same age and weight as me and we burn 2 totally different amounts of calories.

If you want it to be accurate for you then my best suggestion is to set your weight goal, and follow the calorie restriction. Weigh and log EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth and weigh yourself in 2 weeks. If you are losing too slowly, yet you kept your calorie deficient as the goal suggest than make an adjustment (either start logging sleep or adjust you BMR down). Keep in mind that there are many factors that come into play, stress level, daily activities, your resting heart rate, your "active" heart rate, etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with your last comment 100% Mike.

I'm just curious if the logic is a secret or if it can be published?
It's just a matter of what activities are assumedby the code for what amount in the various activity levels.

Ultimately you are right though, it's a matter of figuring it out what works best for oneself. An iterative process.

My concern is that the initial weight loss throws off that for quite a while.
My first week I lost like 8 pounds. Now, I know in reality I didn't drop 8 pounds of fat, but a lot of that was water (due to fewer carbs) and less food traveling through my gut. It's stablized now, so I can guage from this point forward more or less.

Anyway, it's free so I can't complain. If I make my goal, I will gladly pay for premium as a sign of appreciation. Then I will complain, lol !