Notices

Big problem: unable to set serving size when creating custom food

Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Big problem: unable to set serving size when creating custom food

The ability to upload a custom food is awesome. The problem is that when entering it, you can't tell fitday how big a serving is. it just says "1 serving" without letting you share how much one serving is. This is VERY frustrating. I know that it is flawed because I entered my custom food (which happens to be 1 serving =30 grams and has 170 calories) and when I went back to the saved food and typed in 30 grams, it skyrocketed the calories to over 5,000. Obviously the program has somehow set its own serving size. I know that one serving (in the real world) is 1/3 of a bar, or 30 grams. Fit day says the nutritional info for that amount, but for some reason thinks that one serving is whatever it decided on. This forces me to remember how large one serving is (in this case 1/3 of a bar) and adjust my serving size accordingly whenever I eat more or less than that amount. For this one food it isn't a big deal. but it will be soon as most of my daily food intake is custom foods I've saved.
The problem is easily fixed by opening up the "amount per serving" to be edited by the user inputing the custom food.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there,

You actually can edit that amount, but it's a little tricky. One of our members illustrated it in another post, but I can't find it right now.

Basically, when you enter your food (let's say it's a power bar) -- enter the name of the food, but do not enter any of the nutritional info yet. With JUST the name of the food, hit "Create this food" and it will show up, but having 0 nutritional value. You'll also have the "Recalculate" "Edit this food" etc. buttons.

Also, next to the name of your food, you'll have the option to change "serving" to grams, oz, lbs, and a couple of other options. You can also change the "1" to any value.

So let's say the serving of your Power Bar is 30 grams.

I would type "30" in the box, and then switch the drop-down menu to "grams"

Then click "Edit this food" and the serving size should come up appropriately as 30 grams (rather than one serving)

I'd enter the nutritional information for the serving size, and then next time I ate that food, I could enter any number of grams and Fitday will calculate correctly

Hope that helps!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...t-measure.html
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

That post! Thanks Mike.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
That post! Thanks Mike.
no problem. I have it stickied.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you BOTH for posting these methods. I joined Fitday in 2004, and at that point in time, when you created a custom food, there WERE the drop down options present (i.e., oz, grams, etc.). I typically eat the same foods with little variance from one day to the next, so often just go to my 'recent foods' and copy into the present date, but I will occasionally go into my VERY LONG custom foods list and pull something that I created a number of years ago. The old calculations are still present, with the ability to change between the different serving sizes.

A while back, I too noticed that this "serving size" was constantly defaulted to "one serving," or "serving," and I couldn't find a way to edit that part of the process so that it followed the way that I typically measure foods. This will be a GREAT help to me, as I still do save some foods into custom, and have been frustrated with this change to the site for a long while!

Thank you both again.

Christine
Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

Totally agree with comments, glad to see there is a "fix" but it appears that in the past it was possible to include the default serving size while creating the food. IT would be easier to go back to that, not sure why this would be changed. This is yet another tax on my time.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Alternative option: put the serving size in the food's title, e.g. "Fake parmesan (1 tsp)". Ooh, that reminds me, I finally have miso back in stock, I should go and make some of that stuff up. (It's ground almonds, nutritional yeast, and miso, for anyone who's wondering, and it's actually very nice.)

I've worked out how to change to different options such as grams, and I've even worked out how to get my ingredients in there, but the thing that really bugs me is when I create a food (e.g. big pot of soup), put in the ingredients as I cook it, and don't know how many portions it will make until after it's finished, cooled, and put into tupperware containers. If I put in "one serving" or whatever at the start, all the figures will be wrong when I alter it. I've more or less got around it by now, I copy and paste the ingredients to an empty food log section so that I can get the quantities right later on, but it remains irksome.

Last edited by Esofia; 05-19-2011 at 06:20 AM.