FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   Attn Admins - Technical Trouble with Site - Very Slow (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/3968-attn-admins-technical-trouble-site-very-slow.html)

imnes 04-07-2011 12:46 PM

Attn Admins - Technical Trouble with Site - Very Slow

The last few days it seems like the site has been getting progressively slower. Most of the day today it has been unusable, I've tried to enter food several times but it just times out waiting for a response. It seems like read operations are fine, the pages come up fine. It's database writes that seem to be an issue (saving changes to food journal, deleting an entry, etc.)

This also extends to the forums, I tried to post this earlier today and the site timed out before the post could be written. Hoping it goes through now...

Is this a known issue that's being worked on or is it a problem on my end? Or is it business as usual around here :) I really like the site and am considering a paid membership to get rid of the ads, but at this point it's basically unusable for me.

ldarmo 04-09-2011 12:09 AM

Strange problems with site - anyone else?

I've used fitday for several years, great site. The last few days, weird things happening. First, I wasn't able to log on - got "internal server error" messages. Now that I can log onto the site, the banner ads are all in spanish. The worst of it is that I cannot reliably get the screen with my daily food entered. I sometimes get the screen. Search for a food, hit "add to food log", then it goes directly to the pie chart. I can't adjust quantities or type of serving. I have tried relogging, restarting the computer, different computers. Still the same weird problems. Has the site been hacked or otherwise corrupted? I have years of hand entered custom foods. I may have to go to another site, but hate to lose fitday. Is it just me, or have others had the same issues?

ldarmo 04-09-2011 12:10 AM

also, I see it has my join date as January 2010(???). I have been a member since at least 2006!

01gt4.6 04-09-2011 03:25 AM

As far as the join date that you see here, that's the date that you first started posting on the forums. The "internal server error" isn't you, it's an issue with FitDay. I believe it has something to do with an update or the changes that they are making. I'm hoping that it clears up soon. Spanish ads?? I have no idea, I don't see any ads but that does sound strange. When it comes to adding foods, I haven't noticed any issues with that but I haven't logged anything today. I can see where that would be a big PITS, maybe that's an issue with the update as well. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

mecompco 04-09-2011 06:25 AM

Things seem pretty stable for me today--yesterday I got the server error for at least a couple of hours. I've never had an issue with making entries (assuming the site was accessible). One hopes these issues will clear up once the updates/changes are complete.

Regards,
Michael

mmearp 04-09-2011 01:50 PM

Errors as well...

Yeah, I'm definitely receiving errors on FitDay as well. Sometimes the total foods I have entered for the day do not show up. I have to continuously refresh the page in order to get it to show.
Also, my total recommended B-12 RDA showed up to be 127% for the day. I KNOW for a fact I haven't eaten enough foods rich in B-12 to equal my total daily values. I even looked at each of the foods individually and I should have only 51%. A little off??

What is going on?!?!?!

wildbeanerz 04-10-2011 06:19 AM

I thought this was just me. On my pc at work I get a 404 error when I try to do anything that requires logging in (logging food, activities or posting on forums) but I can view the site as long as I don't log in. From my two home computers everything is fine though.

Azaron 04-11-2011 02:02 AM

Having repeated problems with Fitday Food

I just have the free version, but for about a week now when I try to update my foods for the day it just forwards me to the weight goal screen or something - I have to try about 3-4 times before I'm lucky enough to get it to work. I've been using this software for 6 months now and I've never had this problem before. Any info?

carlospandero 04-12-2011 04:23 AM

Slow here too.

Same here. Site unusably slow. Accessing from UK. No premium membership.

jsands1 04-17-2011 03:56 PM

Sloooooooow!

I have been using FitDay for a couple of years, off and on, and steadily since last October. I really love this site, but it has become completely unreliable and so slow that I walk away from the computer for 5 mins in between entering foods/activities some mornings!!! I don't have time to use it anymore due to the extremely poor response time. Not sure what is going on, but I'm going to quit using it. It's a bummer too, I lose all my progress when I switch to a new site. But I'm moving to another that is free and FASTER! :confused:

ibobi 04-19-2011 07:12 AM

Hello,

There is in fact a major upgrade to the site underway, and many/all of the issues you are experiencing are likely related to it. We apologize for the trouble it is causing, and I am working with the site mods to address specific issues as they come up.

Thank you,

Paul
Community Manager

mrlwalsh 04-27-2011 01:56 AM

System slow

Any update on the system changes that have caused the poor response on FitDay for the last couple of weeks. Response is still very flaky.

EMehner28 04-27-2011 09:34 AM

I agree

Fitday has become almost unuseable over the last few weeks. I too will be looking for an alternative if steps are not made to improve the issues.

01gt4.6 04-27-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by EMehner28 (Post 44906)
Fitday has become almost unuseable over the last few weeks. I too will be looking for an alternative if steps are not made to improve the issues.

IBobi is working on this one.

Trillium_410 05-02-2011 02:39 PM

Site unusably slow-- please tell us your plans to fix it

I love Fitday and would pay if I thought it would improve the speed. Site has been slow for weeks, but today was the worst!!! What are you doing to improve the response? Surely this will kill your business--- at least tell your loyal users what's going on.

01gt4.6 05-02-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trillium_410 (Post 45345)
I love Fitday and would pay if I thought it would improve the speed. Site has been slow for weeks, but today was the worst!!! What are you doing to improve the response? Surely this will kill your business--- at least tell your loyal users what's going on.

the upgrade that is under way is what's causing these issues. Once the upgrade is complete the speed should be back to normal.

cjohnson728 05-02-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 45347)
the upgrade that is under way is what's causing these issues. Once the upgrade is complete the speed should be back to normal.

Any idea when the clouds will break open, the rainbows will appear, and the birds will sing to welcome in the improvements?

01gt4.6 05-02-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 45349)
Any idea when the clouds will break open, the rainbows will appear, and the birds will sing to welcome in the improvements?

We have an idea of many things but a lot of things are coming at different times. We don't have definite dates just good estimates. I'm afraid to say, in case it doesn't happen as planned. If it does happen as planned there are going to be some happy people, this site should rock.

cjohnson728 05-02-2011 11:26 PM

So it'll be like a surprise party. Looking forward to it :)

theatricalveggie 05-06-2011 12:18 AM

Yes, the site has been INRCREDIBLY (unusably) slow. My inability to enter my meals in the food journal has had an adverse effect on my weight loss over the last two weeks. :(

Thanks,
Mia

April 24 2010 - 197
April 24 2011 - 165

pinenutcasserole 05-09-2011 09:43 AM

One-off fee?

There are a few sites that require a one-time joining fee of a minimal amount (eg $5 USD) and are free thereafter. I'd be happy to pay something like this if it meant Fitday could upgrade to a larger server, or fix whatever else it is that makes it

- slow
- log you out arbitrarily
- refuse to open some pages, esp forums
- do other things that annoy people, which I haven't noticed/accounted for

And/or - new joiners could get Fitday online free for one or two months, and then be asked to make a payment like that, and then it'd be free again - would engage people long enough to see results and maybe stay with it to keep their stats. Or people just be asked to pay the fee from the start (like the sites I'm thinking of), which would prevent people making serial accounts. A fee like that is something even I can handle and would be willing to pay.

I really, really like Fitday's tools and absence of gimmickry (e.g., force-fed diet or workout plans - no pun intended - hype, etc), but agree with everyone saying its noted slowness makes a real impact on usability.

cjohnson728 05-09-2011 09:51 AM

My understanding is that once the transition/improvement process is completed, these things won't be an issue, correct, mods?

I've heard a lot of folks complain about FitDay logging you off at will; I've never had that happen in 16 months's worth of use. Could it be a hardware/software problem?

I agree that FitDay is just the right blend of tools and forums without all the added junk.

taubele 05-10-2011 04:31 AM

I sometimes wonder if it's a cookie/browser problem.

I use Firefox here at work and the security setup on it is fairly lax - I don't have logout problems. At home, I use Google Chrome and my security is higher - I have my cookies set up differently, and I am logged out ALL the time.

I've noticed a trend to it, though - if I log on and go to the forums RIGHT away, without stopping in food or exercise, it tends to stay logged in. Sometimes I get booted, but usually not.

If, however, I log in, enter some food and/or activities, and then try to go to the forums, I'm logged out, every single time, and have to re-log. Sometimes it gets to the point where it boots me over and over from the forums and I just have to try again later (that happened continually this weekend). It's definitely something with the forums that boots me.

If it is a problem with internet cookies or security protocols, then it kind of sucks that I have to lower my internet security to use Fitday properly, but at least I CAN turn it off and back on. It's slightly annoying, but I'll do it to use the site, and it doesn't ruin my day or anything :). Sometimes I think much is made over minor problems and annoyances, but to each their own!

01gt4.6 05-10-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 46004)
My understanding is that once the transition/improvement process is completed, these things won't be an issue, correct, mods?

This is what we're being told.

theatricalveggie 05-31-2011 12:22 AM

Practically June and still no improvements. I'm going to be forced to switch programs if these issues are not resolved. :(

01gt4.6 05-31-2011 02:23 AM

The tech dept. needs to knoe the following:
Please submit a screenshot of the issue (if possible) and answer the following questions:
  • What operating system are you using? (Windows, OSX, etc...)
  • What version? (XP, 7, Leopard, etc...)
  • What browser are you using? (IE, FF, Chrome, etc...)
  • What version? (IE7, FF3)
  • What page were you on? (http address)
  • What were you trying to do on that page?
  • When did you purchase the computer you are using?
  • How often do you update your computer?
Any additional details related to your computer's configuration may be helpful so please supply as much info as possible.

imnes 07-25-2011 02:29 AM

Honestly, fitday is a website, and it shouldn't really matter what we are using on the client end.

For me I am trying a Windows 7 PC at work (with Firefox 3.6 and IE 8.0). My phone (Motorola Droid 1, with latest updates, default browser). At home I have Ubuntu running Firefox 4, and Mac OS X running latest Chrome browser. Behavior is consistent in all of them.

At this time, browsing the site is fine, but the trouble is when entering menu items. Inserting a food item into my food journal is working OK right now, but trying to then modify (for example, change number of servings) usually doesn't work. Also, creating a new food item doesn't seem to work, when trying to save the site times out.

This feels like a database issue, maybe a write lock on the table or index for some reason.

FYI: posting to these forums is also slow / times out, wondering if this is hosted on the same DB as the fitday app data?

Nick

imnes 07-26-2011 01:29 PM

I'm wondering if this problem is related to heavy traffic at certain times of the day? Couldn't use this morning, but this evening it seems to be working fine? If that's all it is I'll just make a habit of using the site during off-peak times.

01gt4.6 07-26-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by imnes (Post 51936)
I'm wondering if this problem is related to heavy traffic at certain times of the day? Couldn't use this morning, but this evening it seems to be working fine? If that's all it is I'll just make a habit of using the site during off-peak times.

Nick, I don't think that's it. It seems to be hit and miss with some users. I had an issue with it a couple months back but it's been pretty stable now. I'm on all through the day and evening.

ibobi 07-27-2011 06:18 AM

Hi,

As always, we recommend using Firefox as your browser. Also we are making big changes to the site, which in the future should streamline things for you if it's slow from time to time.

Paul

rwalden72 08-28-2011 02:02 AM

Any Progress?

Are the " big changes" still in progress, or did you guys give up?
It's going to take me until Lunch to enter my Breakfast!

Are the admins able to reproduce the problems that folks are having?

I need to be able to see the ads quicker. :p

VitoVino 08-28-2011 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by rwalden72 (Post 55146)

As far as I'm concerned, this software is fantastic just the way it is. Nothing is perfect, especially your attempt at sarcasm. :p

01gt4.6 08-28-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by rwalden72 (Post 55146)

Thanks for your concern. I'll let admin know that you'd like to see the ads quicker. Would it be beneficial if we used more ads or do you feel that we have enough and just making them quicker would suffice?

To answer your other concern, they have not given up. They are in the works right now.

01gt4.6 08-28-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 55151)
Nothing is perfect, especially your attempt at sarcasm. :p

how was mine? ;)

cjohnson728 08-28-2011 04:32 AM

I thought the sarcasm was funny. You guys woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning is all.

Yes, major changes are in the works; just be patient like the rest of us :).

Kohsamui 08-28-2011 07:19 AM

"I thought the sarcasm was funny. You guys woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning is all."

...so did I. Think it was funny, that is...

rwalden72 08-29-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kohsamui (Post 55173)
"I thought the sarcasm was funny. You guys woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning is all."

...so did I. Think it was funny, that is...

Thanks, I'll be here all week... Don't forget to tip your servers.

Actually, I just wanted to know if the issue had already been resolved and if it was just me still having issues.

I can now hit the save button multiple times knowing that someone still knows about my pain and is working furiously to help me. <not sarcasm but perhaps a bit melodramatic.>

Thanks!

janday 09-05-2011 03:48 AM

I'm also finding the site impossibly too slow to use and it's been like this for a couple of months. Too bad as I've been a member for a long time and would like to continue using it. I hope they can resolve their issues.

01gt4.6 09-05-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by janday (Post 55809)
I'm also finding the site impossibly too slow to use and it's been like this for a couple of months. Too bad as I've been a member for a long time and would like to continue using it. I hope they can resolve their issues.

What browser ate you using? I, personally haven't had any issues with it being slow in months.

mecompco 09-05-2011 03:53 AM

Since I have to use Chrome on my XP machine, I have noticed it seems a bit slow. I get the Chrome Kill Page and Reload error a few times a day. To be honest, I've been using the FitDay PC app to log my food and activities so my errors are on the forum side.

Regards,
Michael