Notices

Calories Burned in Activity Log

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Question Calories Burned in Activity Log

I've been comparing my "calories burned" in the activity log to what is being reporting by my Forerunner 310XT for some time now and for whatever reason they are not even close? It seems like the activities log is consistently underestimating the calories burned in the case of running? I'm curious if I should just manipulate the time or distance when logging an activity like running 9 min/mile (6.7 mph) for 60 minutes and 6 miles to make it correlate better to what the Forerunner is reporting? That however, may just create more confusion when I look back at running log I download from my Forerunner and the milage and/or time won't be the same?! Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums tate_fischer.

Unfortunately there would be no way to log it as custom at this time. We have put in a request to have that feature added though.

All activities listed on this or other sites should only be used as an average guesstimate anyways since the actual cals burned are different for everyone depending on their weight, gender, age, heart rate, intensity levels during the whole activity, etc.

I would suggest that you manipulate the time on your activities log to match the cals burned that your garmin records.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks vabeachgirlNYC, unfortunately I suspected that would be the suggestion.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Welcome to the forums tate_fischer.

Unfortunately there would be no way to log it as custom at this time. We have put in a request to have that feature added though.

All activities listed on this or other sites should only be used as an average guesstimate anyways since the actual cals burned are different for everyone depending on their weight, gender, age, heart rate, intensity levels during the whole activity, etc.

I would suggest that you manipulate the time on your activities log to match the cals burned that your garmin records.
Has there been any progress on this? This seems like a major omission. I would imagine that a very large number of people who are trying to lose or maintain weight are doing what tate_fischer and I are doing, namely, tracking calories burned using a heart rate monitor. It would be much easier for us (and probably more accurate) if we could just manually enter calories burned based on the data from our HRMs. It doesn't seem like it would be particularly challenging to add this feature.

In fact, I would like to see you go beyond that and enter into strategic alliances with Garmin, Polar, etc. so that Fitday can automatically pull this information from their user sites. For example, I use a Garmin HRM, which automatically uploads data to Garmin's "Garmin Connect" website. This data includes calories burned and, if you have a compatible electronic scale, it will even automatically upload your weight and body composition! It would be great if this information would also automatically sync with Fitday.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the support mcavaretta! As much as I continue to rely on FitDay, I'm noticing more and more "working on that suggestion" responses in this forum. The other big one I think needs to be added which is "being considered" is the sugar content in carbos... ESSENTIAL in my book?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

tate & mcavaretta, we are comprising our "wish list" now, custom activity was brought up as well as tracking sugar and net carbs. I'll also bring up the suggestion of being able to transport info from garman, etc.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-04-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions. We are working hard on making FitDay the best it can be. All member ideas are being considered for upcoming changes.