Notices

Vegetarian and carbs-

Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 AM
FitDay Member

Question Vegetarian and carbs-

I saw some discussion about the percentage of protein, carbs, etc, and I know my carbs are high (50% or more), but I can't seem to figure out how to get it down without either increasing my calories or leaving out cereal. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi grammacarol. Welcome to FitDay.

I am a vegetarian too. Here's a a link to few typical days of how I eat. I do eat grains but since I normally do not eat boxed pasta, potatoes, middle aisle foods, etc, my carb% tend to be on the lower side unless I am doing a carb load or a few hours of running.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...you-asked.html

Hope it helps!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks

I guess I should stock up on more tofu and skip the pasta and bread. Just starting this and. Have never kept track. I do know that carbs in the form of bread, cookies etc. Have been my major problem.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Your Carbs are supposed to be higher, According to my fitness Health Class at school Carbs should make up 46-65% of your daily calorie intake, Protein should be 10-35% and Fats should be 20-35%. Carbs are good and help keep you full, you just need to be eating the right kinds of Carbs. Don't eat anything that says "Enriched" in the ingredients because those are empty calories, try to stick with whole grains as much as possible.

Last edited by Sallywilson; 02-01-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I don't know that there's any one "right" calorie mix for every body. I stay more or less on the 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix recommended by the "Zone" and it seems to work well for me. If it goes one way or the other a few points I really don't stress over it.

I agree that protein and complex carbs are the best--they keep you full and don't produce the quick rises in blood sugar levels that big hits of simple carbs do.

It really boils down to what works best for YOUR body.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Heyas.. I'm a veg too !

I know people have always told me that as a vegetarian I "wasn't getting enough protein" but it wasn't until joining this site that even a simplified pie chart showed that my carb and fat percentage was very unbalanced. I've been eating less bread products, more eggs and cottage cheese. Here in the UK we have a brand called Quorn that makes imitation meet, which is quite high in protein / low in carbs and fat.

Oh - and this is my first post.. hello! I'm 25, female, currently 140 but looking to get down to about 125.. as I was about two years ago.