Notices

Does the program "learn" ?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default Does the program "learn" ?

Hi Fellow Fit-Seekers :-)

I currently use the free version of FitDay. I previously used DietPower. I prefer the web-based FitDay as it makes logging in from different locations easier.

DietPower had functionality that "learned" your metabolism as you progressed on the diet. (i.e., increased or decreased caloric intake to reach goal depending upon weight fluctuation along the way.) Does/can FitDay do this ?

Also, when FitDay calculates the number of daily calories to reach a goal and then allows the user to change this number, well, I just don't understand that. (eg, if FitDay calculates that I need to eat 2000 calories a day to reach my goal by June 1st, and I change that to 2200 calories per day, shouldn't that push my "reach-my-goal" date back (to say July 1st, for example) ?

TIA !

Eddie
Old 12-15-2010, 01:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Eddie, welcome to the FitDay forum. Yes, FitDay takes your weight into consideration when calculation your calorie burn so you will notice the numbers go down as you lose weight.

I'm not sure about your other question--I'll see if I can figure it out. I know your lbs. per week will adjust as you chage your weight goal/time frame. Not sure where you are seeing the calories to goal number?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

FitDay allows you to adjust your base metabolism, not sure if that's what you mean, but it allows a user to account for an unusual circumstance (such as breastfeeding) that the software isn't set up to calculate. At least that's how I understand it. I suppose if you had a metabolic issue or malabsorption problem, like Crohn's disease, and therefore don't process food like "normal" people do, then being able to adjust the goal calorie count manually would be helpful as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you very much Mecompco & Lizzycritter !

First, big kudos to you both on your great progress !

When I go to "Weight Goal" then to "Calorie Balance," that is where it allows me to modify my caloric intake. I don't get that.

Mecompco, I have used FitDay on and off for some time. I've recently gained weight and want to get back "on" When I successfully logged food on FitDay in the past, I did not notice the caloric intake requirements changing. Hmmm....I believe you that the program does "learn," so I'm trying to understand this in light of my experience.

Thanks again !

Eddie
Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by edfesq
Thank you very much Mecompco & Lizzycritter !

First, big kudos to you both on your great progress !

When I go to "Weight Goal" then to "Calorie Balance," that is where it allows me to modify my caloric intake. I don't get that.

Mecompco, I have used FitDay on and off for some time. I've recently gained weight and want to get back "on" When I successfully logged food on FitDay in the past, I did not notice the caloric intake requirements changing. Hmmm....I believe you that the program does "learn," so I'm trying to understand this in light of my experience.

Thanks again !

Eddie
Eddie, did you update your weight? When I restarted FitDay in May it still had my old data from years ago which casued my weight goals and reports to be off.

If you look at your calories burned report, the amount burned should drop as your weight decreses--I know my graph does.

You can override the number FitDay suggests as a "default" if you want--there are some calculators out there that may be more accurate. From my experience, the FitDay one is a bit optomistic, but not too far off. My actual weight loss if fairly close to what FitDay predicts.

My "one year" graph is still off due to old data--I suppose eventually it will "time out". A solution would be to create a new account, but I had lots of custom foods that I didn't want to lose.

Regards,
Michael