Notices

Net Carbs

Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

the search function is above in the blue bar.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your information, I was certainly confused. nobettertime
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Atkins net carb count?

When tracking food intake for a day on FitDay, and following the Atkins WOE, is there some way that the journaling automatically subtracts the fiber from the carb count? No matter how hard I plan meals ahead of time I keep coming up high on the carb count until I manually subtract the fiber from the carbs - then that makes the graph inaccurate for the 65 fat/ 30 protein/ 5 carb rule. Please advise.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Net Carbs?

Perhaps this has been answered before, and someone can point me toward that info? When entering custom foods, for instance I entered the low carb, high fiber tortilla's found at Costco.... it appears as if my "percentages" and pie chart report are based on total carbs and not the net carbs (total carbs less fiber). Will I need to adjust for this?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

You just keep track of net carbs yourself. I don't think 'net carbs' have been around that long - somewhere I read that the concept was invented by Dr. Michael Eades of 'Protein Power' fame. Just to help people on that diet...
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Diabetics need to track the net carbs too. They are the ones that raise blood glucose level.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

+1

I'd like to see an option for effective carbohydrates. Preferably as a display option for the pie chart, like a check box that would redraw the pie chart after removing (grams of fiber) from the carbohydrate count.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

trypt
You should post a request in the Feedback and Support Forum.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by trypt
+1

I'd like to see an option for effective carbohydrates. Preferably as a display option for the pie chart, like a check box that would redraw the pie chart after removing (grams of fiber) from the carbohydrate count.
An option is good. Fibre still has some caloric value, soluble fibre at least when it is fermented in the large intestine. It's about 2 cal per gram, when
digested into short-chain fatty acids.

Unless you can seperate insoluble and soluble fibre though, it may make little sense to assign a caloric value to it. You could perhaps assume it's 50/50 sol/insol and say 1 cal per gram but that is splitting hairs in the big picture.

Likewise sugar alcohols are another foodstuff which has some caloric value varying on the source, also digested in a similar manner as soluble fibre.
Generally these have about 2.5 cal/g. People on a diet are more likely to use these substances.

Even protein nowadays is being considered to have a lower cal content due to the energy required to digest it. 3.5 cal/g has been bantered about.

In any event, the whole tracking and estimating process is just an approximation - a good +/- 10%.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Subtracting Fiber from Carb on labels

I LOVE Fitday.com! I do think one improvement could be that the subtraction of the amount of fiber from the carbs should be calculated automatically when posting to your food for the day. As it is now, we need to subtract the fiber from the carbs in order to get the correct value for our day. Thank you FitDay!