Community
Notices

Volume measurements no longer an option

Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Oh I just logged my V8 juice, and it has an option for cup. Maybe you could find something like that in the database and edit it to meet your needs if you measure by size.
I wouldn't think twice about measuring the volume of the juice and then using some multiple of the thoughtfully provided cup option to log it. If I needed to edit anything at all, it would only be the number of servings. I certainly wouldn't measure its volume and then weigh the same volume and think I'd somehow improved accuracy. Precision, perhaps, but accuracy and precision aren't the same thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by llkilgore
I wouldn't think twice about measuring the volume of the juice and then using some multiple of the thoughtfully provided cup option to log it. If I needed to edit anything at all, it would only be the number of servings. I certainly wouldn't measure its volume and then weigh the same volume and think I'd somehow improved accuracy. Precision, perhaps, but accuracy and precision aren't the same thing.
I think you missed what I was saying, maybe I explained it wrong. I thought you were wanting to be able to log stuff in cups. I was saying you could find something in the database (V8 was an example) and if it has the option for "cup", "tsp" whatever, edit to be whatever you want, such as broccoli, or whipping cream, etc and then save it as a custom food.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I think you missed what I was saying...
Yeah, sorry, I realized that a split second after hitting the submit reply button. That was my work-around of choice until someone around here suggested setting "amount" to "serving" and then specifying the actual serving size in the "name" field.

But why should a work-around be necessary? Units of volume are routinely used in the real world, including by companies in the design of the nutrition panels of certain of their products. Why shouldn't the "Create A Custom Food" function reflect that reality? There'd probably be a lot less clutter on the server if it did.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Well, when I customed my food, I enter the nutritional in the back of the packet and fitday said 1 serving. So for me I implied that one serving is equal 1 serving of the packet food. For example, a bottle of V8 is 2 serving (2-8 oz), and the nutritional is 1 serving. The next time I drink it, if I drink 8oz I will log 1 serving. If I drink 4oz, I log 0.5 serving. It's haven't been a problem for me. I hope this help.
I use both scale and cups, just depend what I measure. For meat, I think scale is more acurate. Vegi, and liquid I use cup.
I have try different food log website. I think FD is the best so far.
I have been try to find bok choy but unable to find it so I log in as spinach. I figure vegi is low in cals unless it is starchy vegi. bok choy and spinach kind of similar.
The point is: Just work around it. As long as you log your food and stay in your cals limit you will see the result.
Luck,
Mai
Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

I know I can work around the deficiency in the program. The question is why should that be required? I've yet to see a good explanation for why the volume units of measure were dropped from the options.

Bok choy is in the database under its other common name, Chinese cabbage.