FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   FitDay Classic Feedback and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/)
-   -   Activity not in database: How to customize an existing activity? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/fitday-classic-feedback-support/104-activity-not-database-how-customize-existing-activity.html)

hags101 01-10-2010 02:31 AM

Activity not in database: How to customize an existing activity?

Hello.... I do not see any way of customizing an activity (or adding a new one). Does anyone else have this problem?

not150 01-10-2010 03:49 AM

i am having the same problem. Elliptical, astanga yoga are not in the activities to choose. I'd love to be able to ad them

snolyzard 01-12-2010 09:02 AM

FitDay Admin!!! (adding activities)

Hello FitDay Administrators!
I have seen other people post about this frustration of mine, so I wanted to make sure to bring it to your attention...

Could we update the activities section? For example, Pilates, other types of yoga (Power Yoga), Elliptical Trainer? Also would it be possible to enter in your own "calories burned" for a custom activity?

Other members, please add to this thread with other activities you'd like to see added if it was possible...

Thanks!
Holly

emarcy54 01-13-2010 02:36 AM

Stair-Treadmill vs. Eliptical Trainer

Holly this is a very good point. I use a PreCor Eliptical Trainers at the gym and have found that the Fitday menu item, Stair-Treadmill Ergometer uses very close to the same calories / minute.
It would be nice to have it's own category item though or to be able to create a custom activity.

ihuddleston05 01-13-2010 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by emarcy54 (Post 811)
Holly this is a very good point. I use a PreCor Eliptical Trainers at the gym and have found that the Fitday menu item, Stair-Treadmill Ergometer uses very close to the same calories / minute.
It would be nice to have it's own category item though or to be able to create a custom activity.

I also use the elliptical, as well as Wii Fit Plus and have a goal set to burn at least 300/day. It would be nice to be able to use a custom entry to put in the amount of calories, activity, etc...

mt2020 01-13-2010 06:25 AM

Activity Log not working - attn administrator

Hi Administrator - the activity log has not worked for at least the past 2 days. I sent an email to your support team but have not yet received a reply. When I enter my activity, it doesn't calculate the calories nor allow me to enter manually. Can you help?

RmJ78 01-13-2010 10:57 AM

I agree with the others, especially about the Wii fit activities. :)

Bhaltair 01-13-2010 03:04 PM

I agree. I use a Nordictrack Elliptical and NOTHING comes close to the readouts of calories burned that it says vs. any online fitness calculators on here or anywhere else.
I need that.

Mahdai 01-13-2010 09:10 PM

Seconed

I agree as well; there should be an option where you can add your own custom-made activities. Frankly, I was surprised there wasn't one. There are many other online training aps that offer this option. If I train something specific, and know the amount of calories burnt, I should be able to add this to my activities.

/Tmas

aliciamatton 01-14-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by snolyzard (Post 766)
I have seen other people post about this frustration of mine, so I wanted to make sure to bring it to your attention...

Could we update the activities section? For example, Pilates, other types of yoga (Power Yoga), Elliptical Trainer? Also would it be possible to enter in your own "calories burned" for a custom activity?

Other members, please add to this thread with other activities you'd like to see added if it was possible...

Thanks!
Holly

I couldn't say or ask for this better myself. Please update the activities and allow us to customize.

Thank you!

fitday_jim 01-14-2010 04:56 AM

Hi Everyone. Great suggestions. Sometimes getting the correct calorie burned information for activities can be hard. Vendors aren't always the most reliable sources and studies that contain all the info are a bit hard to come by.

We would love to do custom activity functionality, but it isn't quite as easy as custom foods. Where foods have a certain nutrition for everyone who eats it, activities don't work that way. Usually calorie burn is determined by a percentage of your normal metabolism. So, for example, doing some hard work might burn 200% of you normal metabolism. Most users won't have this kind of information to create the custom activity. You can't just enter 200 calories/hr because that will change as your weight and metabolism change. We will think about it though and see if we can simplify and get something to you.

Also, keep up the suggestions for which activites to add to our database. I will do special searches for these activities and try to find some studies with good data.

Thanks again! We love the suggestions.

fitday_jim 01-14-2010 04:59 AM

I just thought of a possible enhancement that might work. What if we just added a way to enter extra calories in your activity chart? So, in the case where you know the machine told you that you burned 300 calories, you could just enter an extra 300 calories without having FitDay do the calculation for you?

Give me some feedback on whether that would help. It would get around FitDay needing to know every activity, but isn't quite as convenient.

CourtneyGabriel 01-14-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by fitday_jim (Post 907)
I just thought of a possible enhancement that might work. What if we just added a way to enter extra calories in your activity chart? So, in the case where you know the machine told you that you burned 300 calories, you could just enter an extra 300 calories without having FitDay do the calculation for you?

Give me some feedback on whether that would help. It would get around FitDay needing to know every activity, but isn't quite as convenient.

I think that is a great possibility. I also have trouble with entering my lifestyle. I stand all day at work, but it automatically calculates standing as what i am doing when I don't enter anything else all day. I would like to be able to fill in number of hours I am working during a day under that category.

fitday_jim 01-14-2010 05:11 AM

FitDay does make some assumptions based on your lifestyle choice. If you say "standing" for your lifestyle, it doesn't use that for all 24 hours, just for some estimate of average work day. Our PC application allows you to customize this in detail. That is somethng we can consider moving to the web version.

Christinac598 01-14-2010 12:29 PM

I think that this option would be great! I too use the Wii Fit, tredmill and eliptical which gives me calories burned. Currently when i use the Wii Fit I choose Yoga as my activity and alter the time of the activity to match the Wii Fit estimated calories burned. I would much rather enter the calories burned and not have to adjust other activities!

Thank You!!

Bhaltair 01-14-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by fitday_jim (Post 906)
Sometimes getting the correct calorie burned information for activities can be hard. Vendors aren't always the most reliable sources and studies that contain all the info are a bit hard to come by.

I agree - the more you weigh, the more you'll burn. Sometimes you give 70% to your workout, and sometimes you give it all 100%. What I'd suggest for the ability to input your total DAILY exercise calories burned instead of just a fixed 'elliptical -800 calories' exercise item. That'd solve this issue in a second. The machine said I burned roughly 800 calories so that's what I put in instead of creating "Elliptical - 80% at 6 resistance and 20 degree incline" etc.

The more people using it, the more ad revenue you'll make :)

fitday_jim 01-15-2010 02:53 AM

OK, I am going to talk this over here and think about a nice solution. Thanks for all the input and if you think of anything else keep posting. We do follow these boards closely.

Originally Posted by Bhaltair (Post 966)
The more people using it, the more ad revenue you'll make :)

We love people using the app and we do like revenue, but we always try to get the solution correct over ad views. If we can make the app better and it happens to drop page views, we always come down on the side of a better app. But I get your point. We definitly like having more people use FitDay!

snolyzard 01-16-2010 01:19 PM

I also think this would be a great addition! I'd still like to see the activities we mentioned added (I have no idea how many calories my Pilates and yoga classes burn) but I understand that takes research. So for now I think your idea would be a good enhancement. Thanks for listening! ~Holly

mama2J08 01-16-2010 03:11 PM

add breastfeeding?

Is there a way to tell the program that I'm nursing a 2 month old, so that it might adjust the calorie info? Just curious b/c I know nursing ups my base calorie burn...

MegAkers12 01-17-2010 08:14 AM

Wii and Elliptical!

I find it fabulous that Wii and ellipitcal are the two activities in question... because those are the two activities I was hoping to find!

I look forward to seeing these in the activities log!

Abigor 01-17-2010 08:57 AM

I would like it to be added as well but the best thing I've found is to tweek the time so that the calorie matches as close as possible.

lamafri 01-18-2010 10:06 AM

Frankly, I had made fun of people who thought they would get a real workout on the Wii Fit. Yesterday, my son ran me through the Wii Fit Plus mountain bike, rythmic boxing, hula hoop, obstacle course, and driving range. It took about a half hour and I must admit there was an aerobic workout involved. And it was fun.

ewood1609 01-19-2010 05:42 AM

I agree, I use the Elliptical trainer, treadmill with an incline, and also take Tai Chi 2 days a week. It would be awesome to see those things added and to also be able to add how many calories you burned/incline/resistance/etc.

Adelaide415 01-19-2010 06:57 AM

There are other software online which does have that feature. All it asks is our weight and height and it estimates calories burned so we can create our custom exercise. I think it's a necessary feature since it would be impossible for you to find every exercise everyone uses. Let us input it. That is the only thing your software is missing, as well as a pie chart for your custom nutrition.

fitday_jim 01-20-2010 01:18 AM

Hi mama2J08. You are right. Pregnant and nursing women have very specific nutrient and calorie requirements that FitDay does not handle. We explicitly don't support women who are pregnant and nursing. It's not that we don't want to help, its just hard to get an official set of guidelines for this group and we do not want to ever give wrong information for such an important part of your life.

So, FitDay information will not be correct for you and you should probably check in with a healthcare professional for this info.

Thanks for bringing this up.

mhunter1222 01-20-2010 02:39 AM

I think this would be great. For example, yesterday I worked out on the eliptical trainer and it has a feature to enter your weight and age and it calculates everything for you and shows your where you target heart rate is, etc...

At the end of the workout it shows you a workout summary with your total time, calories burned, distance, etc... I think those are the three main important components of any workout summary. It would be nice just to have a function to enter those as a customized activity. I just wrote the workout summary down and when I got home I did the best I could to adjust the time on the standard option available to get it as close to the calorie burn I had from the workout summary.

fitby33 01-21-2010 07:02 AM

I have read that you burn 20 calories for every ounce your baby takes in. so I created my own little way of tracking to supplement my calorie defecit. I only nurse at night but I have a 6 month old who is taking in about 18 oz over the course of an evening. for me that is a spendiature of about 360 calories so I create and activity that equals that amount.

Hope this helps!

beckysublette 01-25-2010 01:45 PM

I just began, so i cant help much. there is a custom bar to add activity on left.

also my question is: what does hh:mm mean on activity chart?
I want to enter jog/walk and if I put in 02.50 (which means 2 hours, 5o minutes
I think) it wont take it...it keeps reverting back to .2o.

can anyone explain this feature? Do I put in miles or will it fill that out for me?

pbstef 01-28-2010 06:05 AM

whieght lifting exercises

How do I log in wieght lifting exercises. and where do I keep that log any help please.

stepuporshutup 02-02-2010 09:08 PM

How do I add weight training to activities?

Hi all

I am new to this, but I've been trying to log everything so far and I'm getting really stuck on adding my weight training to the activities.

When I put in weight training to search "running while pushing a wheelchair, training" :confused:
came up..! I was wondering if many people take this up as exercise..?!!?! haha

No seriously, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated :D

rjingra 02-04-2010 02:22 AM

How do I add weight training to activities.

When I type in weight training there are 3 additional selections freeweight, universal, and circuit training.

rjingra 02-04-2010 02:26 AM

weight lifting exercises

I type weight lifting into the activities and it gives me 3 selections for input. It doesn't track amt of wt that I lift but when I input a time for the session it will give me a calorie expenditure. I hope this is what you were referring to.

01gt4.6 02-09-2010 06:26 AM

activities>activity browse>conditioning

K-M-H 02-11-2010 02:12 AM

Self-defense

I'm new to this site, and I'm only going to try this for a week or two (a friend suggested it), but I noticed a something here that bothered me a bit: there is no activity listing for a self-defense class. I know it must be difficult to add activities, and I can appreciate the selection you already have, but my defense class is one of the few significant physical activities that I manage to get in the week. I know it's a broad term, but assuming you do the usual (rolling, kicking, punching, getting up and down), maybe you could add some middle ground? I won't be here long, but I hear that defense classes are very popular these days, so I'm sure that others might appreciate it as well if you were to consider adding this activity. It would be a great help!

TheEquation 02-17-2010 02:36 AM

Hi, I'm new to fitday as well and was surprised that you didn't have some activities.

Calculating additional calories would be confusing for me as I have no idea how many calories I have burned during my pilates practice, or during a day of rock climbing (to be fair I haven't checked to see if rock climbing is an exercise option here... but if you don't have yoga or pilates... I'm guessing you don't have climbing either)

I would love to see the following activities added to exercise:
mat pilates (beginner)
mat pilates (intermediate)
mat pilates (advanced)
pilates reformer (beginner, intermediate and advanced as well)
rock climibing (rappelling)
rock climbing (assent)
rock climbing (bouldering)
power yoga
bikram yoga
ayengar yoga
kundalini yoga

Thank you so much!! Let us know as soon as you are able to get these added :)

TheEquation 02-17-2010 02:41 AM

OH... ok... nevermind about the rock climbing... I see that you have that after all. You don't have bouldering though, so if you could still add that one, it would be super sweet.

Thanks!

cjohnson728 02-17-2010 02:54 AM

I would love a custom exercise option, like the custom food one. I use a heart rate monitor and it gives me calories burned, and it's often not consistent with what's on the site, so I'd like the option of tweaking the activities that are already on here via a custom option.

Thanks!

ilsebotha 02-17-2010 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by snolyzard (Post 766)

Thanks!
Holly

I am a new premium member. Please adhere to our request to add our own activities on to our log sheets according to our heart rate monitors stats. This is quite important to me to get an absolute correct display of my activities. Ilse Botha
[email protected]

yapatus 02-18-2010 07:29 AM

My suggestion for "Activities" no listed

The suggestion made by Fitday-Jim back in November of 2009 is right on. To have an activity listed as "extra calories burned" or something of that nature for those of use that use machines that take into account our wight and age. It could be set up so that a unit of measure = a set amount of calories, whether that set amount be 1, 10, 25 would not matter (smaller would be better). Even if the only unit of measure available is minutes it could work.

100 minutes = 100 calories

Right now I just enter my activities like this as "Walking" and adjust my time till the calories come out correct or close. It doesn't matter to me if the amount of time is correct, just the calories burned.

caloso89 02-18-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by yapatus (Post 3720)
The suggestion made by Fitday-Jim back in November of 2009 is right on. To have an activity listed as "extra calories burned" or something of that nature for those of use that use machines that take into account our wight and age. It could be set up so that a unit of measure = a set amount of calories, whether that set amount be 1, 10, 25 would not matter (smaller would be better). Even if the only unit of measure available is minutes it could work.

100 minutes = 100 calories

Right now I just enter my activities like this as "Walking" and adjust my time till the calories come out correct or close. It doesn't matter to me if the amount of time is correct, just the calories burned.

This is what I do. I track time and miles on a different cycling site but like this one for the calorie tracking and reports. So on Fitday it doesn't matter to me what the time is, just the caloric expenditure.

Still, I think it's odd that you can't just include a user-defined activity. Most of the other sites I've looked at (caloriecount, dailyplate, etc.) all have this feature.