Notices

Activity not in database: How to customize an existing activity?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Customize calories burned in activities

Hi there,

I have a Polar Hear Rate Monitor, so I can track how many calories I burn over x minutes of exercise. I can't seem to find a spot in activities that allows me to customize the number of calories burned during an activity.

For example, I'm lifting weights in a circuit for 60 minutes, and I know from my HRM I burned 400 calories. When I enter the activity, I have to choose a predetermined number of calories burned over 60 minutes. This renders my HRM useless for tracking using fitday. Very frustrating!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I understand custom activities is on the programmer's radar but it will likely be a while. In the meantime, enter the exercise that most closely matches what you're doing and simply adjust the time to match the calories your device records. That way your numbers will be correct.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Pilates

I take Pilates classes twice a week, and can't find it on the activities lists.
Could you please add Pilates to the list.

There are 3 basic levels, beginning, intermediate, and advanced. I don't know the amount of calories burned, however 'beginning' is akin to stretching where intermediate and advanced do raise you body temp quite a bit, leave you with increased breathing and heart rate and occasionally break a sweat when a full routine (1hour) is done.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the info - I will be looking for that!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default Breastfeeding - site suggestions

Hi -I am currently breastfeeding my 3 month-old and this is not listed as an activity on your site. I believe it burns about 500 calories per day. I think this should be added. Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
I understand custom activities is on the programmer's radar but it will likely be a while. In the meantime, enter the exercise that most closely matches what you're doing and simply adjust the time to match the calories your device records. That way your numbers will be correct.

Regards,
Michael
You have to be careful when you adjust the time if it is very far off...because that takes away from the time that it calcuates the daily level stuff. I'm not explaining it well, but if you have to adjust it a lot, it does throw your results off.

I have a Polar monitor, too, and I usually try to get as close as I can. Rather than adjuting the time, I keep the time in the activity the same but sometimes combine 2 categories, like 30 min light calesthenics and 30 minutes vigorous calesthenics, to get the right number for the hour to match my HRM. If you play with the proportion of the minutes in each, you can fine tune it pretty well.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
You have to be careful when you adjust the time if it is very far off...because that takes away from the time that it calcuates the daily level stuff. I'm not explaining it well, but if you have to adjust it a lot, it does throw your results off.

I have a Polar monitor, too, and I usually try to get as close as I can. Rather than adjuting the time, I keep the time in the activity the same but sometimes combine 2 categories, like 30 min light calesthenics and 30 minutes vigorous calesthenics, to get the right number for the hour to match my HRM. If you play with the proportion of the minutes in each, you can fine tune it pretty well.
Thanks for the clarification! For those who exercise a lot that is important to know. For us 30 min a day sloths, perhaps it doesn't matter as much?

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default No Elliptical Activity Log

Today I joined FitDay, and so far very pleased except for one thing...how do I log my time on an elliptical? I used the "jogging" option but it didn't calculate the same calories that were calculated on my elliptical. Any suggestions??
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay.

I moved your thread so you could read what others are doing until this can be added to the activity choices.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Elliptical Option

I use the ergonometer option as well, but would love a choice for Elliptical. It is such a popular machine you would think it would be an option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.