Notices

Please add to Occupations!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Please add to Occupations!

Hello - I was wondering if you could please attempt to calculate calories burned for a classroom teacher - specifically elementary. We stand, we sit, we walk around, sometimes we play at recess. I don't want to lose motivation once I go back to school. Thank you so much!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jdolphin42
Hello - I was wondering if you could please attempt to calculate calories burned for a classroom teacher - specifically elementary. We stand, we sit, we walk around, sometimes we play at recess. I don't want to lose motivation once I go back to school. Thank you so much!
Hmm, that could be a tough one...I would think there is too much variation. Some sit more than others, some play all the time, sometimes, or never, some stand to read; some sit to do so. I think what you are getting at is probably best addressed by where you set your lifestyle calories. If you want something more specific, keep track of how much time you spend doing each, and then log it in that way by particular activity.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your speedy response. I will try. It's tough to keep track of anything with 20-something children in the room!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hey JDolphin, thanks for teaching! The world needs you! And while I'm at it, thanks to all those people who taught me growing up - a great bunch which you have just given me the privilege of remembering.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for your speedy response. I will try. It's tough to keep track of anything with 20-something children in the room!!
I can imagine! After regular volunteering as a parent in my son's schools, I also don't know how you keep a straight face sometimes!

I echo Abby...thank you for doing such an important job .

My suggestion would be that if you do the same thing pretty much every day, just pay close attention one day, if you can, then log the same every day unless there are significant changes in routine.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks, everybody! I'm not sure the routine is ever the same in 3rd grade. I try, but kids are too much! Good luck to everyone on staying on their programs as the hectic beginning of school is upon us!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure the routine is ever the same in 3rd grade. I try, but kids are too much!
And that's why we can't get an accurate handle on what "elementary school teacher" would burn during a day, lol!

I agree, though, something about the beginning of the school year sets everything into crazy, no matter how well we prepare.

Check out the women's corner section for some popular threads...some are busier than others; you will find a lot of support there . Wishing you a good year...have you ever read 32 Third Graders and a Bunny? Very cute book; still on my shelf, even though my son is a sophomore now .