Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay 2.0 Feedback & Support
What does cooked broccoli have more calories than raw? >

What does cooked broccoli have more calories than raw?

Community
Notices

What does cooked broccoli have more calories than raw?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBswilson
This is mostly accurate - although I wouldn't consider it a bug. The FitDay database is based on the USDA food database.

The food I think you are looking for is "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" - 55 calories per cup, chopped. (The discrepancy here is that 1 cup of uncooked broccoli does not yield 1 cup of cooked broccoli.)

These foods are unlikely to change as we are committed to being as accurate as possible using USDA foods. We are, however, improving our search results so that these issues are less likely.

Try adding "boiled" to your search for vegetables i.e.: Search results for "Broccoli boiled" return "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained" with and without salt as the first two results.
It will also return 198 other items of which four are boiled broccoli; a good number of the remaining 194 are not boiled, and a profound number are not broccoli.

Is there an easy way to to an AND search, or negation, or required results?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I'm picturing raw broccoli - stiff cell walls and fairly watery - that is, containing water. Then I picture cooked broccoli. The cell walls, as they cook, soften and collapse. Some of the water (which is not calorie-dense) leaks out as it cooks. The broccoli collapses in on itself. You put stiff raw broccoli florets in a cup measure, and there will be less calories than when you put the collapsed, more compact cooked broccoli in the same cup measure. So that explains, for me, why cooked broccoli has more calories, per cup,than raw broccoli.

The same explanation would apply to cooked lettuce, 1 cup, vs. raw lettuce, 1 cup!

I measure a cup of frozen broccoli out before I cook it so think I should go by the 30 calories a cup value on the package. I can only stand eating so much of the stuff! Do you really cook lettuce? I've never seen anyone do that.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, you can cook lettuce (romaine is more flavorful) and it is especially well suited to stir-frying!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
Yep, you can cook lettuce (romaine is more flavorful) and it is especially well suited to stir-frying!
Really? I never heard of that. Is there anything in particular you cook it with or season with?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Slivers of fresh onions, slivers of fresh peppers, some thin slices of cauliflower, thin slices of fresh green beans... and shred the romaine lettuce. Heat up some oil in a skillet wok. Add the denser vegetables at first and start stirring while they fry - the cauliflower, or some thin slices of fresh carrot, cut on the diagonal. When these have been cooking for a while at high heat, then you can add the peppers, green beans, onions, etc. and FINALLY the lettuce. The lettuce cooks so quickly - you want it to have some crunch, still - that you can add some stir-fry-sauce (Kikomann makes a stir-fry sauce that is good, but use as little as you can get away with) at the same time as the lettuce. Stir and cook just enough to season and serve hot over some cooked brown rice.

If you want to avoid the bottled stuff, you can make your own sauce by adding a little sesame oil to flavor, some soy sauce, some sugar or honey, some fish sauce if you use it sparingly, and some ginger (you can buy it already sliced and in a jar, or you can peel the fresh ginger and chop it yourself - fresher and better tasting but more work).

If you're making an asian-style soup, shredded lettuce is delicious as a last-minute addition to the pot. Same ingredients as above but cook it all in broth - any flavor broth - and then add some light (lite) canned coconut milk last, and just heat it up. Very good!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 AM
IBswilson

Originally Posted by moosifee
Is there an easy way to to an AND search, or negation, or required results?
We recently adjusted the results so that multiple word matches are prioritized.

We have discussed/plan to add these sometimes in the near future:
PHRASES(""), AND(&&), OR(||), NOT(-), REQUIRED(+), and WILDCARDS(?/*)
I don't have a timeframe for you but just know that it's in the works.

Originally Posted by Wohali
Do you really cook lettuce? I've never seen anyone do that.
Grilled romaine is delicious.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBswilson
We recently adjusted the results so that multiple word matches are prioritized.

We have discussed/plan to add these sometimes in the near future:
PHRASES(""), AND(&&), OR(||), NOT(-), REQUIRED(+), and WILDCARDS(?/*)
I don't have a timeframe for you but just know that it's in the works.
Thank you, that is a huge positive.