Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay 2.0 Feedback & Support
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #151 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default Weight Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid79 View Post
Unfortunately, the FitDay software does not support a weight gain goal.

Weight loss is a relatively simple calculation, because for the most part it means losing fat; weight gain is far more complex, as most people are not looking to put fat on, but muscle, and this calculation is much more complex and involves activities on a whole different level. In addition, many of those wanting to gain weight are dangerously underweight to begin with, and any weight gain should be under a doctor's care, not a website's. Essentially this is the reason FD does not and will not (at least for the foreseeable future) offer help for those who wish to gain weight.

- IB-Kim
Hello,

I am 5'2" Female that has weighed anywhere from 85- 95 lbs at this height with no eating disorders or sicknesses. My friends and family can attest to the fact that I eat more than I should need to and definitely are not puking it all up.

Not at any point has anyone told me that I needed doctor's care to gain weight even thought my BMI says "Underweight". I once went to a nutritionist to see if there was something that I could do. Her advise was quite literally "put cheese and bacon on everything". My friend got the advise to have a milkshake a day from her own doctor even though she is lactose intolerant.

Given that this is the advise that the "professionals" are giving, there are those of us that aren't looking for more bad advise we would just like to be able to make a goal to gain the weight. How about letting us to set a goal of even 5 lbs. That is next to an impossible weight gain goal for someone like me. I would be nice to be able to try though.

That is my 2 cents on the matter. Thank-you for reading.
pyrocandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #152 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,432
Default

First and foremost people, keep in mind when reading this threads that this is many thread started and replied to by different people, in different forums at different times. If reading it gets to be confusing, that could be why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocandy View Post
Hello,

I am 5'2" Female that has weighed anywhere from 85- 95 lbs at this height with no eating disorders or sicknesses. My friends and family can attest to the fact that I eat more than I should need to and definitely are not puking it all up.

Not at any point has anyone told me that I needed doctor's care to gain weight even thought my BMI says "Underweight". I once went to a nutritionist to see if there was something that I could do. Her advise was quite literally "put cheese and bacon on everything". My friend got the advise to have a milkshake a day from her own doctor even though she is lactose intolerant.

Given that this is the advise that the "professionals" are giving, there are those of us that aren't looking for more bad advise we would just like to be able to make a goal to gain the weight. How about letting us to set a goal of even 5 lbs. That is next to an impossible weight gain goal for someone like me. I would be nice to be able to try though.

That is my 2 cents on the matter. Thank-you for reading.
This is been sort of a touchy subject for me as well, not b/c I need to gain weight (I don't), but b/c I feel it would be a useful feature and probably won't be added.

I posed many of thes same questions that Ron and the others asked and I got the same response, verbatim, that Paul posted and Kim edited into the 1st post. As far as those statements, I'm not even going to comment on that. It doesn't matter if I buy them or not, that's not the point that I'm trying to get at. I don't doubt that this response came from the programmers. From a programming stand point, it may be true. I have no clue.


This is my point:
I have used FitDay for a couple years now (my January 2010 join date in the date that I joined the forums). I rarely use the weight goal calculator. It was over a year before I ever knew it existed. When I do use it, I don't use it for the calculation but for the graph. I could do a graph in excel but I'm not that savvy with excel. IMO the biggest tool here for anyone trying to lose weight or gain weight is the activity and food tracker and the support forum. It's a matter of calories in vs. calories out and motivation to keep you going. Anyone can have successful weight loss OR weight gain without the weight goal. It's been proven time and time again so don't let the deter your from trying to gain weight while using FitDay.

Pyro, I can agree that sometimes the doctors can be clueless in their recommendations. I guess that's why they say they "practice" medicine. Even if we did have a weight gain goal/calculator I don't think it would do you any good b/c it would probably be inaccurate. I say this b/c you said "My friends and family can attest to the fact that I eat more than I should need to and definitely are not puking it all up. ". So if you truly feel you eating more than you should and are not gaining weight then there is something else going on. It could be that you have a super fast metabolism, over active thyroid, or a number of other things. I don't know and I don't "practice" medicine. The best advice that I can give to you is if you really want to gain weight (and there isn't an underlying medical reason why you're not), then carefully monitor your calories in and calories out and gradually add more in than out until you start to see the change that you are looking for.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-06-2011 at 04:17 PM.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #153 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Well said, Mike. I can't see why it would be any more difficult to use FitDay to keep track of your calorie surplus rather than the deficit that most of us are looking for. Like you say, even the graph will be accurate, there simply won't be a "goal"--no biggie!

Regards,
Michael
__________________
47 M 5'8"

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #154 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Default Goal is to gain weight

I tried setting my weight goal. I currently weigh 163 pounds and am trying in build muscle mass so my trainer has put me on a high calorie diet.

However, when I try to set my weight goal I get a message that it is higher than my actual weight. Is there some way to get around this?
getitguynjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #155 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
cjohnson728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,083
Default

Go back to the thread two above the one you started entitled, "Trying to Use FitDay to Gain Weight? Read This" and you should have your answer.
__________________
Cassie

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #156 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid79 View Post
Unfortunately, the FitDay software does not support a weight gain goal.

Weight loss is a relatively simple calculation, because for the most part it means losing fat; weight gain is far more complex, as most people are not looking to put fat on, but muscle, and this calculation is much more complex and involves activities on a whole different level. In addition, many of those wanting to gain weight are dangerously underweight to begin with, and any weight gain should be under a doctor's care, not a website's. Essentially this is the reason FD does not and will not (at least for the foreseeable future) offer help for those who wish to gain weight.

- IB-Kim
This is nonsense, and gaining good weight is not that complex, and those wishing to gain weight are not 'dangerously underweight' I was overweight, lost weight and now would like to gain 'good weight' muscle in other words. I'm succeeding too. But it would be nice to use this site for various reasons plus we have experiences that would benefit people trying to lose weight as well. It is a shame that (by the standards set here) I'm considered overweight at 160lb. 5ft 7in and 30in waist. Those who ask me how I lost weight and changed my body and have become 'so athletic' would probably not agree I'm 'overweight' I'm inundated with friends and co-workers asking me for nutritional and exercise advice and I often direct them here to this site because most of them need to learn about counting calories and protein and carbs etc... Too bad this site doesn't support me wanting to pack on another 5lbs of 'good weight'...
squibbscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #157 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitguynjax View Post
I tried setting my weight goal. I currently weigh 163 pounds and am trying in build muscle mass so my trainer has put me on a high calorie diet.

However, when I try to set my weight goal I get a message that it is higher than my actual weight. Is there some way to get around this?
This is so frustrating and bias for people like us who want to build some muscle mass.

cool site, but not such a great idea taking a stance against people who want to 'control their weight' ie to gain some...
squibbscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #158 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti92 View Post
I was trying to update my weight goal and my problem is that it tells me that my weight goal is larger than my current weight. I am 88 pounds and I want to gain weight until I reach 100 pounds. Am I the only one wanting to gain weight?
no, you're not the only one.
squibbscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #159 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibbscr View Post
Too bad this site doesn't support me wanting to pack on another 5lbs of 'good weight'...

It doesn't? So if you increase your caloric intake to a modest level above maintenance, and you continue to track your macros and micronutrients as you weight lift and try to add some weight, this site won't be value??

I think too many people are hung up on the idea of entering a "weight goal" and then seeing the reports. This site is still invaluable for tracking and if someone was serious about gaining weight the fact that the reports would be limited should not effect a thing.
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #160 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Default How to set my weight goal to gain weight

hello im new and my weight goal tab doesnt allow me to put a high weight goal weight. i dont want to loose weight i want to gain it. please help!!1
93dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fault, fitday questions, gain weight, heart rate monitor, metabolism, problem, suggestion, weight gain, weight goal, weight goal gain, weight training

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2