Notices

Question About Graph of Nutrition

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question About Graph of Nutrition

Hello!

I'm trying to run a piece for the Daily Illini on the nutritional values of bone density and found a graph I believe was done by fitday

The ‘Superfoods’ They Don’t Tell You About

I'd like to know what the process was of extracting the information as well as the limitations in analysis. are there factors that could lead the numbers to be misleading.

Thank you so much for your time! This information is very valuable to me and I would greatly appreciate a response

Best regards,
Rose
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see a graph created by fitday there. What am I missing?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

When you scroll up the graphs are purported by the blogger to have been created by fitday. am I wrong in believing this?

If you have any leads on where I can find the progenitors of these graphs I would be very grateful!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I think I understand what this is - basically, the person who was going through various foods to find 'superfoods' chose some and then posted the nutrition graphs for each food by itself.

If you have an empty food log, and you enter for the day just one serving a banana (or a medium banana, or whatever - something reasonable), then you can look at the nutritional content of that food and the graph would look like one of the graphs shown. It looks like the person did this for each of those foods.

You can get the same information of certain high nutrient content elsewhere, but maybe not so quickly in graph form.

The words 'Super foods' are kind of nebulous. As the person said, blueberries have excellent contributions to a diet but they don't show up on the RDA (recommended daily allowance) charts, because those micronutrients are not part of the standard RDAs.

I think the amounts can be misleading. Brazil nuts do have a huge amount of selenium. But if you use 1 oz of brazil nuts for your portion, you get a more reasonable picture than the amount this person used. I think the selenium RDA% for selenium in Brazil nuts is something like over 900% of the RDA. You really only need to eat about 3 brazil nuts to get a good dose of selenium! That's not even an ounce. The person making and pulling those graphs used a greater amount and it looks like stratsospheric selenium!

Here's what is also going to be confusing: there is fitday classic and there is fitday 2.0. The charts you look at should be for one food, for a single day (not the average for the week, for example) and Daily Value (DV) is not the same as RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance). If you're making a serious attempt to use these items in a report, you'd want to be really clear about those things, too. It all gets more confusing when you are looking at one food. If you've already put your foods in for today, always check that the food graph you are looking at is not for today, but for the day that contains your one single focus food.

Complicated, huh.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 03-03-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for pointing out what I'll need to look closer at! If you don't mind (you can also pm me) what your credential/experience may be if I quote you?

If you are able recommend a contact for subsequent question that would be welcome as well

Best
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have any credential/experience other than being a long-time user of fitday. When you pointed out the various graphs provided, I recognized them as reports produced here. The only way you can obtain a chart of nutritional information for one food is to isolate that food in your food log. The charts/reports are derived from food logs. I would skip ahead a day to an empty food log to attempt to isolate one food.

I'm no authority on how the charts are constructed. But I think that if you look at the charts as a user (yourself), you will see how this person produced the charts for the various foods. Look at fitday classic and fitday 2.0 both. I think he was using fitday classic.