Notices

How much is too much?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Question How much is too much?

I've been on my diet for about 3 months now. I've lost 60 lbs and I'm feeling pretty good. My latest concern has been the difference between "feel the burn" and "oh crap I hurt something". I just can't seem to figure out if what I'm doing is right or wrong.

Let's say I'm walking and doing jog sprints and my leg starts hurting. Is this ok because I'm working out, or should I slow down because I'm damaging my body? I'm so confused it is even hard for me to explain, but any advice is much appreciated!

Hunter
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm no expert but if you start to hurt during your routine, you should stop and stretch or just walk. If the pain does not go away after stopping and or stretching, definitively stop what you're doing and start R.I.C.E.
Rest,Ice,Compression, Elevation and take some NSAIDs.
I've tried to run through sharp pain and dull achy pain only to find that I've made my injury worse. I pulled a calf muscle once and thought it was just a cramp and ended up being side lined for 3-4 weeks-not fun.

However, the day after exercising, you should feel a little sore & "tight", but your mileage may vary depending on how hard and long you exercise.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

if it gets any worse call your docter
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the response guys. My left leg hurts alittle but it is getting better. I just keep stretching it whenever I can. I only jogged a mile last night as to not over do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Congrats!

Congratulations Hunter on your journey, it's not easy...I've been there and still working at it.

If you're leg is has a sharp pain, stop what you're doing but if it feels like a burn that's fine you're working your muscles and yes you'll still feel the burn the next day. One of my instructors refers to this as 'sweet pain' but if it goes beyond that point stop otherwise you're going to hurt yourself and will be off sore for a while.

When I started working out I only walked on the treadmill at around 3-3.5 mph for 2 miles. It took me about 30 - 40 minutes to complete. Gradually after I found it wasn't challenging me enough I started taking my walking speed up to 4 mph for short intervals, say for 30 - 60 seconds, then back down to 3.5 mph for 2 minutes. Soon I found I was able to complete 4 mph walk for 3 miles in about 45 minutes. I guess what I'm trying to say here is start slow and gradually either increase speed, incline, or both as you get stronger and no longer feel your current workout challenging. Also maybe try the elliptical or bike for a change and keep mixing things up to constantly challenge your body or you'll find yourself plateauing.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Originally Posted by HunterTTP
I've been on my diet for about 3 months now. I've lost 60 lbs and I'm feeling pretty good. My latest concern has been the difference between "feel the burn" and "oh crap I hurt something". I just can't seem to figure out if what I'm doing is right or wrong.

Let's say I'm walking and doing jog sprints and my leg starts hurting. Is this ok because I'm working out, or should I slow down because I'm damaging my body? I'm so confused it is even hard for me to explain, but any advice is much appreciated!

Hunter
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

First of all congratulation for your success of losing weight. Pain is nice but you should not harm yourself , level of exercise or any other effort to lose weight should match with your body capacity. Keep going
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your weight loss! It encourages me, as I'm trying to lose 40 lbs. in 3 months. I used to train female body builders (before I got old and fat) and the rule our trainer always used was "no pain - period." If it hurts, it's damaging your muscles. He always told us to work up to the point of pain and no further.

I know the "no pain, no gain" philosophy is what most people go by, but it's not a good one. If your legs start burning, stop and walk until they don't hurt anymore. If they don't stop burning, go home and rest.

What causes irreversible soft tissue damage is to continue to stress the tissue once it is already telling you to stop. I trained a lot of ladies, and you know what? They had fewer injuries than the other group and their injuries healed faster because they did not push themselves when they were already hurting.

Do what you want, but just think about it. If your child told you his leg hurt, would you force him to keep running? Treat yourself just as well.