Notices

Transitioning from fast walking to jogging

Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Transitioning from fast walking to jogging

Hi this is my 1st post here. As the title of this thread implies, i started today from 8 months of walking 25 mins <lost 44 lbs) to the transition of wogging <5 min brisk walk for warmup, 60 secs jogging, 90 sec walking, 60 sec jogging, ect for 20 mins 3 times a week. The plan im using is here

The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

Well i finshed this morning for 1st time and when i got home i was lightheaded and dizzy for around a half hour afterwards and some tingling in extremities. It was very uncomfortable. Did i do too much for my 1st go? I'n Still 195 lbs and 5' 9, and on high blood pressure meds. Maybe take the meds a couple hours b4 running? Anyone have any suggestions? sorry this is my 1st post but i want people to get an idea of what im doing. Its like posting all your computer specs on a computer help forum :P thx for your patience.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome

Good to see you here - I have been on the forum for a little over 2 weeks.

Based on your comments, and with your high blood pressure, you may want to check with your doctor first before transitioning to jogging. They would be able to give you pointers on how to begin.

Great job on losing over 40 lbs with walking.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thx i appreciate it. I actually wanted to give that jogging program 1 try b4 i went to Doc's. My 3 month reg appt is actually tomorrow <Weds> morning, so ill tell him exactly how i felt and such and see what he says. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Well went to Dr's today and told him my symptoms. He told me to take a couple glucose pills b4 jogging and 2 more crushed up in my powerade to drink during the run. No symptoms at all now!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Awesome!

That's great news. Now you are all set!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default I love couch to 5 K!

Great job on the weight loss! I've started the C2K program a few times and I love it, although I always find that I hit week 5 and can't seem to break that barrier. But the times I've done it, I've noticed a VERY quick improvement in cardio vascular ability . The first run of the week, I feel like I'm going to die and don't know if I can finish it. But by the third time of the week, its actually even a bit easy! Glad to hear the dr cleared you for it. Keep it up!