Community
Notices

Gym routine

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Gym routine

Hi all,
So I have finally bitten the bullet and joined a gym for the first time but I am unsure that my routine is going to provide the results I am looking for.
I am looking to build up my general fitness and build upper body muscle, particularly biceps.
At the moment I am going 2 days per week and am spending each session doing 20m on the upright bike, 20m on the cross trainer and 10 m on the rowing machine with a little work on the resistance machines too.
Should I be mixing it up like this or should I concentrate on piece at a time?
Also, for each piece of equipment I am just working them at a constant pace, should I be working harder for a set time and then relaxing for a set time?
Finally, I also have a set of dumb bells at home but no bench, is there a set routine I could use in between gym sessions?
Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
FitDay Member

I'm pretty new to this, too, but from everything I've researched, you need at least 3 30min cardio workouts a week, and 2 strength training. If you can only make it to the gym twice a week, spend that time with a good 15-20 min cardio warm-up and spend the rest of your time there with strength training. Then just get in a good 20-30 min fast paced walk or jog in after work 3-4 days a week. I only workout around the house, so I do a 3 mile walk/jog/sprint (interval training is great!) 3 days a week, then twice a week I do a 10 min cardio warm-up and a 20 min strength training circuit (reps of home workouts like push-ups, crunches, etc.) Plan your home workout routine in advance so you can switch to the next excersize quickly, rather than letting your heart rate go down while you figure out what's next. Also, I've had success breaking up my strength training into arms/shoulders/chest one day, legs/glutes, abs the other. That way your torn and sore muscles have time to heal between workout. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

A
squat 4x10
bench 4x10
shoulder press 4x10

B
deadlift 1x6
1 arm row 4x8
chin up 4x8

AxBxA
BxAxB

2 warm set for each lift

do this if u want gains

Last edited by basedgod1; 03-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.