Notices

Running on an empty stomach?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
FitDay Member

I like running on a empty stomach to. I do eat high carb fruits and nuts before I do some runs... especially if its a run later on in the day or a race day
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default empty stomach

Originally Posted by sevensix
Last time I was on a health and fitness kick a couple of years ago I only ever ran on an empty stomach and it didn't (and doesn't) feel bad at all, but I'm just wondering if it's the most efficient way to burn calories (as weight loss is my primary goal at the moment, general fitness a secondary one).

Hello Sevensix,

There is no reason to eat before running, especially if you're only going a few km. The human body has enough fat in it to run way more than a marathon without a problem. Eating beforehand has two main drawbacks: you could upset your stomach and you could make yourself tired. Eating/drinking a high glycemic index food like that piece of toast will give you an energy spike and then will drop your energy level down later...right in the middle of your run. I think you'd be better off running on an empty stomach--run or race, the chemistry is the same--and then as soon as you are done, eating that piece of toast or some other high glycemic index food. Putting the egg on it would be even better, especially if you could down them within 30 minutes or so of your finishing. That's when your muscles are more "receptive" to incoming nutrition and the calories "won't count" as much as they would if you ate that meal later in the day. You don't "need" any nutrition before a run of a few km, and if you start reaching 10 km or more, you MAY want to bring a drink with you that has some calories in it. You won't NEED it (unless it's super hot out), but you might LIKE it.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM
FitDay Member

Depends how you feel. If you can run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning without it affecting the quality of your run, then that's great. Eating beforehand rather than after will not make you burn more calories unless not eating is causing you to cut your runs short for lack of energy.

Personally, I find it very hard to increase mileage and/or speed while on a calorie deficit, losing weight. The only way I have found to counteract that is by having a small snack before my run, or to run in the afternoon or evening a few hours after a meal. Otherwise, running feels harder than it should and I often suddenly get weak after a couple miles and have to slow down or stop even if I'm used to running further. When I'm eating as much as I'm burning, it's not an issue.

If it isn't bothering you, I wouldn't change anything. On the other hand, if you feel like you want to run farther or faster but aren't making progress on that, or if you sometimes don't have the energy to finish your runs as planned, you might want to try eating a few bites before heading out.