Notices

Shape up shoes

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
I've actually gone the other way and invested in a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. They simulate being barefoot while still reinforcing and protecting the foot from sharp rocks and bug splatters, and you retain mobility in all five toes instead of being completely "locked in."

They take a while to get used to (blisters are common) and they feel weird at first since they hug every surface of your foot, but for me they were worth it. Since I've started wearing them my knees and hips have gotten tougher and I no longer get as much pain after working out. I'd say they're probably worthwhile for back troubles too. In any case, worth checking out.

-Nik
ah! those are so odd!!! they look very interesting!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

I've had my shape-ups for a couple months now. I like them and usually wear them when I go out shopping or just to take a walk. They come with an instruction dvd that teaches you how to balance in them and gives you some exercises to do.

I've always had problems walking due to breaking my legs when I was a child and I usually end up spraining my ankle because of it. I was nervous about the shape ups because of this, but they actually help me walk correctly.

They are supposed to simulate walking in sand or soft ground which is good exercise and that is really what it feels like. Plus I think they look cute. They are pretty expensive but, most good walking or running shoes are.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

I have had my shape ups for about 2-3 months. I wear them everyday after work when I walk. I walk 3-6 miles/day, going up/down hills. I instantly felt a workout burn up the back of my legs to my lower back. To this day walking up hill sometimes hurts the calf muscles. Have I seen a difference? no. There is very little tread left on them. For $100 I am not happy with how long they last. I do not have back pain or shin splints. They do help standing taller but I am sure there are better sneakers out there.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

I bought a pair of these and they are extremely comfortable. The first couple days, I could really feel it in my calves. That was great. 2 weeks in, I had to go to the chiropractor for the first time in my life because every time I put any weight in my left leg, the pain that shot down my leg brought tears to my eyes and later, my foot went numb. Apparently screwed my gait up so much I developed sciatic nerve issues.(He blamed the shoes) I'm still not right and it's been months.
This is simply a word of caution. Could be completely coincidental, but I'm not taking the chance.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

have you ever seen anyone in shape wearing shape ups?

No?

That's probably because shape-ups, like all other promises of a shortcut, are rubbish.