Notices

Interval Training and After Burn

Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Is there any way besides the perceived exertion scale to calculate where you should be with your intense intervals? It seems so subjective (I hate the pain scale from 0 to 10, also). Can you estimate when you're at the highest level from your heart rate, or is the delay in getting to that heart rate an issue?
Try riding on a stationary bike, and keeping your revs at 80-100. To increase your "intensity" increase the resistance on the bike, not your revolutions. The 1-10 scale is really the most effective way to go where 10 being a resistance you can only maintain a short time (1-2 minutes max) and 1 being a leisurely pace.

If your interval goes 9-3-9-3-9-3 then go from 9 resistance to 3. If you are in great shape then maybe you would do 18 for intense and 6 for slow, you sort of have to gauge it. Try one workout at the baseline resistances and see how it works you.

Heart rate is not really effective because someone in bad shape will have their heart-rate rise very quickly and lower very slowly, and their heart rate is probably on the high end doing heavy exertion activity like intervals. Whereas someone in great shape will have their heart rate drop much faster during rest and most likely won't be as high during the most intense work. I would stick to the 1-10 scale.

Last edited by midwestj; 07-08-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

One study that I read talked about raising the heart rate to 70% of max during the high intensity interval. The rest period lowers the heart rate and then the cycle is repeated.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM
FitDay Member

Found this explanation of the different effects comparing work vs rest interval length ....

The Benefits of HIIT
A HIIT workout offers myriad benefits. First, HIIT provides a great workout for your legs. If you perform HIIT a few times per week, you probably don’t even need to do strength training for your legs, unless you have a desire for bigger legs. More importantly, HIIT really ramps up fat burning. The intense intervals allow for the release of fatty acids into the bloodstream. Additionally, HIIT results in increased HGH levels. HGH is a hormone that burns fat while preserving muscle. Finally, and possibly most importantly, HIIT results in EPOC, an after-burn effect which causes you to burn calories for hours after your workout is completed.

The Drawbacks of HIIT
HIIT is not perfect in every way. The main drawback is that you can’t perform this routine every day. Overtraining is a serious problem, especially if you perform strength training for your legs as well. If your muscles are tired, you are probably better served doing a slow paced steady state cardio routine on that particular day.

Sprint Interval Length
There are a few components of HIIT that you can vary. The first is the length of the sprint intervals. Shorter intervals of 15-30 seconds allow you to exert more effort during the sprints. This increased level of effort will result in a stronger release of HGH. Additionally, these shorter intervals will release more fatty acids into the bloodstream.

Longer intervals of greater than 30 seconds require more perceived effort. These result in a greater number of calories burned. Additionally, these longer intervals deplete glycogen levels (carbs) allowing your body to burn more fat after the completion of a workout.

Recovery Length
The recovery length also impacts the effects of HIIT. This is the walking or jogging portion of the workout that allows your muscles time to recover. The length of recovery is relative to the sprint interval. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recovery for 30 seconds, the ratio is 1:1. If you sprint for 15 seconds and recover for 45 seconds, the ratio is 3:1.

The longer the recovery in relation to the sprint interval (2 or 3:1), the more effort you can exert in the next interval. This increased effort will again result in a stronger HGH release. Additionally, longer recovery reduces the risk of overtraining.

A short recovery relative to the sprint interval (1:1) results in lactic acid buildup, glycogen depletion, and a greater after-burn effect (EPOC). However, this can lead to a greater risk of overtraining
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default post HIIT

I'm also a big fan of HIIT cardio; its helped me loose 25 pounds. My current regime (after having been away for the gym for a few months) is on the treadmill. Twice a week, I do the following:
1 min warm up (I do my weights first, so I'm already warm)
45 sec high intensity (at between 7.5 - 8 mph)
1:30 low intensity (2.5 mph)
repeat 8-10 sets.
then, I do a 10-15 minute walk (at 2.5 mph). I was reading an article that said that during HIIT a significant amount of fat is released from stores, and that without a post-HIIT low intensity session that that it is more likely to re-deposit. The low-intensity session apparently burns these up. In addition, I often feel almost queasy after the intervals, so the walk helps alleviate this.