Notices

Running or walking

Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default Running or walking

Hi there new here my weight is 198 lbs .
I am wondering which is best for me walking or running ?
I been doing 1 hour walking daily is it enough ?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

I believe it's the distance covered that is important. Whether you walk it or run it is less important. But this is a point that is debated a lot. When I read an article that says running is 'more intense,' I interpret that to mean that you pack more travel (more distance) into a shorter time. Running is more aerobic (increases the need for oxygen) but an out of shape person who walks will breathe pretty hard while getting back in shape. Running is more high-impact than walking, meaning you hit the ground pretty hard with those feet! This puts a lot of stress on joints, particularly when you are out of shape. There's a reason exercise physiologists and kinesiologists study running - runners want to be safe and fast.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree with everything Kathy said.

The key is to get your heart rate up. If 15 minute miles (4 mph), which is a pretty fast clip for a walk, isn't getting your heart pounding, you might start jogging a little. But if it takes you 25 minutes to walk a mile and you are pretty winded, stick with walking. Either way it is all great exercise, especially when shared with a friend (human or canine)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by diversitylover
Hi there new here my weight is 198 lbs .
I am wondering which is best for me walking or running ?
I been doing 1 hour walking daily is it enough ?
I'm 74 and jogged for 35 years. My resting heartrate was between 56 and 60, regularly. About seven years ago I had to quit jogging because it was bothering my back. I guess all the "impacting" was finally getting to me. So, I started walking, fast walking, two miles a day at about 12 minutes per mile.

Today, my resting heartrate is still about 60 bpm, consistently. So, as far as I'm concerned, walking is pretty much as beneficial as all that jogging was and a lot easier on the old joints.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

I think you also want to ask what is best for you personally. I was a walker and then worked my way up to jogging. However I found that because I didn't like jogging that I lost my consistency in my workouts. So back to walking. I also found I can keep walking and increase my HR and calorie burn by using the incline on the treadmill. You will have to walk longer than you would have to jog for to get the same calorie burn but again if walking is your thing, you won't mind.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by exjogger
I'm 74 and jogged for 35 years. My resting heartrate was between 56 and 60, regularly. About seven years ago I had to quit jogging because it was bothering my back. I guess all the "impacting" was finally getting to me. So, I started walking, fast walking, two miles a day at about 12 minutes per mile.

Today, my resting heartrate is still about 60 bpm, consistently. So, as far as I'm concerned, walking is pretty much as beneficial as all that jogging was and a lot easier on the old joints.
Very impressive exjogger. I am 51 and have been walking 10 years and only do a 15 min mile......maybe it's because of my short legs, lol. This year I added weight training and it is doing wonders. I feel stronger and stronger every day.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Walking Poles

If you really want to progress with the walking...think about adding walking poles...they engage your core muscles as you walk and allow you to increase calories burnt while promoting good posture. Lots of benefits!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

I believe that it is really individual preference and goal orientated.

Yes, running does place an increased amount of impact on joints, especially when someone is carrying a little extra weight. Therefore walking can be a great alternative. However, you have to remember that your body will get used to that 1 hr walk in ~3-4 weeks and you will have to change something up so that you limit or prevent yourself from the infamous plateau. A great way to do this is change your walking routine (if that is the only activity you are participating in). For example, increase walking speed for short durations or do some hills (intervals/hill training)...both will allow you to increase the number of calories burnt...while reducing the possible plateau. Also...could add walking poles....
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 PM
FitDay Member

Walking is better if you are heart patient and in cities people don't have so many space so in their home they prefer walking on grass which will provide more peace then running while running makes your blood circulation fast.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

Running helps in burning more calories than walking but both are good for weight loss. It depends on the ability one have. We can walk for 1 hour but we can't run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.