Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Ran a 5K (3.1M) yesterday.

24:29 for a 7:54 pace. 83/292 or 28%

Times are coming down.

Keep up the good work c25K runners!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Impressive Skypilot, very impressive. I might be able to run a single mile in 7:58, but then I would have to lay down and die!

I did, however, get my long run in on Sunday. 15 miles at 6000' elevation. It is probably the first and only 15 miler before the 15 mile race in mid-June. It was slow but steady, and I was pretty pleased with the 10:23 min/mile which included a couple of water and energy gel breaks. It has been a couple years since I last put in that kind of mileage.

OK, so now that the veterans have checked in, who else reached a goal (or just set a new goal) this weekend?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

it's not nearly as impressive as the veteran runners - but i went out for a run this weekend with my husband (a 3-time marathoner - so he literally runs circles around me) - and i increased my mile pace. i usually run a 12:30/mile on the treadmill, but this Sunday while running outside I was running an 11:20/mile pace (for a total of 3 miles). It's a small victory - but I'll take it!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Impressive Skypilot, very impressive. I might be able to run a single mile in 7:58, but then I would have to lay down and die!

I did, however, get my long run in on Sunday. 15 miles at 6000' elevation. It is probably the first and only 15 miler before the 15 mile race in mid-June. It was slow but steady, and I was pretty pleased with the 10:23 min/mile which included a couple of water and energy gel breaks. It has been a couple years since I last put in that kind of mileage.

OK, so now that the veterans have checked in, who else reached a goal (or just set a new goal) this weekend?
Wow! At 6000' elevation -- that is great. You are picking up the Kenyan training techniques. Those are good long run times at that elevation.

And with the race in mid-june now is a good time to start the taper-down and maintain.

I am running 2 half marathons in June. I will really being putting to test the whole idea of training with a purpose. I used to just run miles. Now on the come-back trail I am running intervals, hills, sprints, and tempo runs.

Keep it up newbie runners. Take it slow and steady and improvement will come.

Last edited by skypilot77; 05-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kathrynflinn
it's not nearly as impressive as the veteran runners - but i went out for a run this weekend with my husband (a 3-time marathoner - so he literally runs circles around me) - and i increased my mile pace. i usually run a 12:30/mile on the treadmill, but this Sunday while running outside I was running an 11:20/mile pace (for a total of 3 miles). It's a small victory - but I'll take it!
That is wonderful to hear. Great work. Getting off of the t-mill and on to the road is always liberating.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

kathrynflinn,
WOW that is an impressive improvement! You lost more than a minute a mile. Sometimes having someone around to push us a little can really help break a barrier. Keep up the great work!

Pam
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thumbs up Lose the weight... run the hills

So I finally got back to one of my very favorite trail runs with one of my very favorite running pals who I hadn't run with in almost a year.

This is a very hilly 10 mile run over a variety of very rocky trails to pretty smooth dirt roads. There are 3 serious hills, long and very steep in this run. I have never been able to conquer all 3 in a single run. Sometimes the first 1 goes OK, but the middle and last one I poop out on. And I don't think that I have ever run all the way up the last one without at least 1 walk break.

Well this was the weekend of the big break through! Not only were all 3 hills pretty easily managed, but the flats inbetween were fast. And at the end of the 10 miles I felt like I still had another couple miles left.

Woohoo! My old running partner was suitably impressed and very complimentary. Considering she's a Boston Qualified marathoner, I accepted her compliments graciously.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just remember it as the one I posted in.

I ran my first 5k last Saturday. 5 days before I did, I ran 3 miles in 36 minutes for the first time every. I expected my 5k time to be around 40 minutes.
The race itself was very nice. It had rained all night and the storm was just passing so it was cloudy, not hot, not cold and not windy. It was perfect running weather!

I placed 404th out of 711. My time was 34:55! I did much better than I thought I'd do.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by doowackie
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just remember it as the one I posted in.

I ran my first 5k last Saturday. 5 days before I did, I ran 3 miles in 36 minutes for the first time every. I expected my 5k time to be around 40 minutes.
The race itself was very nice. It had rained all night and the storm was just passing so it was cloudy, not hot, not cold and not windy. It was perfect running weather!

I placed 404th out of 711. My time was 34:55! I did much better than I thought I'd do.
Excellent!
I have my 1st 5k run on 7/3/10 and have been averaging 35min for 3 miles on the tred mill. I've been upping my distances since the beginning of Feb 10 and can really tell the difference in lung capacity and breathing-it's actually becoming fun!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Outstanding!

Way to go doowackie - wow, you must feel on top of the world.

SW, good luck with your 5K. And congrats on sticking with it. The first couple of months can be so hard, but as your body gets accustomed to the effort it does get fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.