Notices

How much water for exercise

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default How much water for exercise

Since its getting hot quick for summer... and this is the first time I've been so active outside pretty much... EVER, I thought I'd ask for advice on water consumption. (I live in HOuston... so when I say its HOT, I mean its like an oven xD)

So... I think my exercise routine is going to be about 8 miles a day (4 mile round trip). Today I brought one 40 oz bottle of water, and one 32 oz bottle of water.... But they only lasted me 7 miles. (I'm 200 Pounds- 5"8'- Female: So I need more liquids than the typical healthy weight would need) I got home and ended up downing a giant glass I was so thirsty.... I also felt really lethargic afterwards... and usually I feel like the stinking energizer bunny after a good work out.

I know its good to keep hydrated, especially when I'm sweating my butt off... but isn't it bad to drink to much as well? Doesn't it affect your salt levels or something like that? I'm also having a problem of my bladder feeling full about half way through my walk So half feels like I'm drinking too much... the other half feels like not enough!

I will be bringing another 32oz bottle with me tomorrow, but do any of you have any suggestions. Is there an equation to figure out how much I should be drinking while exercising? Do I need to drink those nasty sugary sports drinks to keep my salt levels up? I just want to continue exercise like I"m doing, but prevent myself from getting sick

Ohhh! On one last note... Is hot water bad for you while walking? Towards the second half of my walk it was such a warm day I felt like I was drinking hot shower water my water was so hot in my metal bottles D=
Also... do swelling fingers during a walk indicate dehydration?
What about sore muscles? My thighs and calves haven't been sore in weeks... but today they feel like they're being ripped off Dx

Last edited by Bluesnow222; 06-07-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM
FitDay Member

The best gauge for hydration is the color of your urine. Pale yellow/clear is ideal. You will need some electrolytes in your fluids as too much water can lead to water intoxication.

No need to go crazy, a couple of bottles of a sport drink will be fine. If you eat a normally salty American diet, you probably won't even need that.
I only use a sport drink on my weekly long ride.(I do love the salt. )

There are low calorie sport drinks if you're worried about the sugar content.

Warm/hot water is not harmful but ice water will absorb excess body heat. And you won't cramp.
Freeze water in your bottle(part full) and it should last the whole way home.

Drink in small sips during the day. Too much at one time will cause the body to overcompensate with increased urine production.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
The best gauge for hydration is the color of your urine. Pale yellow/clear is ideal.
I've always found that a hard method to judge by.
All day yesterday after my walk I had 2 yellow/clear... but then I woke up this morning with orange o.o (but thats almost 24 hours later)
And other times, even when I feel thirsty the whole walk... I'll have no signs of dehydration later. My body just seems very inconsistent with this measurement xD

No need to go crazy, a couple of bottles of a sport drink will be fine. If you eat a normally salty American diet, you probably won't even need that.
I only use a sport drink on my weekly long ride.(I do love the salt. )

There are low calorie sport drinks if you're worried about the sugar content.
My bigger issue is they're just nasty xP
All I've drank since I was little is water and milk 99.9999% of the time. I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks or carbonated drinks. I do try and eat something small before or after my walk that I know has salt in it though.

Drink in small sips during the day. Too much at one time will cause the body to overcompensate with increased urine production.
THIS MUST BE MY PROBLEM xD
Outside of exercising my water intake is sporadic... I typically don't drink anything for a long time and then think "wow... I need to drink something, I haven't drank anything all day," then I down a whole bunch at once. Then while I exercise I drink like a whale.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

I'm currently training for a marathon (my first, so I am new to this) and here is what I have found regarding water...

My dehydration level during running has a LOT to do with what I drink the day before. It is highly stressed in my training class to drink adequate amounts of water on Saturday before our early morning runs on Sunday. This way your body is fully hydrated BEFORE you go out for your walk/run.....and go to the bathroom right before you head out, even if you don't feel the need (empty out the bladder)

There are about 100 people in my training class and their water habits vary. Some people freeze one bottle and leave one unfrozen. This way, after they finish the first bottle, the frozen one is defrosted and cold to drink. Some people put sports drink in one of their bottles and water in the other. If you don't like the sports drinks because they are too sweet, try watering it down or getting the low cal/light varieties. I find these aren't as sweet and overpowering. For 8 miles, if you are properly hydrated and fueled before you head out, you probably don't NEED to have extra sodium on your walk....but that is just my opinion. If you can find a variety you like, drink a little before you head out and a little when you get back. I don't think they are necessary, but they can be helpful.

I used to get sausage fingers all the time when running. I have found that as I improved my diet and started eating more fresh fruits and veggies and cutting processed and fatty foods it has completely stopped. When it is really hot (or if I had a night out drinking the day before ) I found that the swollen fingers return. I am not positive about the cause, but mine seems to be related to TOO MUCH sodium and not enough water. If my fingers start to swell, I need to drink more... not add salt. It was also a circulation problem with me. I have poor circulation in my hands and started taking some vitamins for it and that has helped too.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!