weight training for older guy >

weight training for older guy

Community
Notices

weight training for older guy

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default weight training for older guy

i added weight training to my exercise schedule back in January. This is the first weight training I have done in a long time( decades) . I joined a gym with a slew of equipment and started "working out". I am not sure if I am doing it right or how I should proceed. I am not looking for miracles or a beach body, but general weight loss and toning. I have been adding more weight each week if I can. I added equipment so I cover all muscle groups I think. I am pretty devoted to finishing the routine twice a week. I tend to knock it out in 45 minutes. I guess my question is should I do more reps at a lower weight or do fewer reps at a higher weight. Below is what I am doing now. it is pretty much all I can do. I am pretty whipped at the end. On the off days I walk 3 or 4 miles, and once a week i do a HIIT type thing on the elyptical trainer.

Arm curl 150 lbs 3 X 10
Chest press 150 lbs 2 X 10
Trricep ext 160 lbs 3 X 10
Lat pull 150 lbs 2 X 10
Seat row 180 lbs 3X10
PeC fly 220 lbs 3 X10

abs/back
Back ext 240 3 X 10
Ab crunch 240 lbs 3 X 10
some ab twisting thing 220 lbs 4 X 10

legs

Squat press 240 lbs 2 X10
Leg extention 120lbs 2 x10
Leg Curl 120 lbs 2 x 10

Again, I have no dreams of entering a body building contest someday. I just really want to lose weight and be toned . I am just curious whether I should strive for more reps or more weights?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Like you I am also an 'older' guy. I would suggest you increase your weights to achieve failure at 6 reps. Keep you sets at 3 to 4 (but I can usually only manage 3). This will help you recruit more fast twitch muscle fibers (which have the most potential for growth and strength gains) and will help you get to that toned look faster.

I really like HIIT also. I do a 1:2 HIIT split doing 20 seconds of speed and 40 seconds of cruise on the elliptical.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for the reply. I will try to increase weights to failure at 6. Currently, I usually get thru the first 10 with little trouble and fail at the end of the second 10. Thought today for whatever reason I did could hit my weight targets. ( falied much sooner). i really push thru quickly, without much breaks. I am thinking for me to get thru 3 X 6 with failure will require I pause more between sets.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

I like to super-set my routine so when I am resting one muscle group I am working another. For example Bicep Curls/Chest Press/Lat Pulldown. Move from one exercise to the next with the only rest being repositioning or changing machines or benches. This adds a cardio element to your workout while giving each muscle group the rest it needs to perform the next set. It also lets you get through your routine faster then a pause with no activity.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
FitDay Member

I'm a fan of barbell exercises. I strongly recommend Starting Strength, the program had done wonders for me. Lots of people have had great success with getting stronger at the fundemental lifts - squat, bench press, deadlift, and press.

What is generally recommended for "toning" is lower weight with higher rep and set ranges. For example - curl would be XX lbs with 5 sets of 12 to 15 reps and with minimal rest between sets, something along the lines of 90 seconds. This is just a very general suggestion.

Asa fan of barbell exercises I refrain from machines. It's probably been over a year since I've used one.