Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Freshman30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 80
Default Wicked easy upper body workout for a beginner?

I have incredibly muscular legs and I do pretty well conditioning my core. But I have such little upper body strength that I can't do a single push-up. Seriously. Can somebody help me with some exercises to start me off so I can work up to push-ups? I don't want man-arms or anything, just a little more tone and enough strength to lift myself.
Freshman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
crazigerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 183
Default

This is an exercise directory that you can look at. However I would start of with the basics bench press and then a row of some kind. Shoulder press. Free weights like dumbell curls. Pushups are amazing, just do one then next day shoot for two. A couple of the guys are way more knowledgeable but that's what I started out with. Just make sure you balance your muscles. Don't do a ton of bicep work without incorporating triceps. Oh yeah dips are awesome.
Exercise & Muscle Directory
__________________
Highest weight October 1st, 2011 247.6
Starting weight January 3rd, 2012 227.8
January pounds lost 7.8 = 220
February pounds lost 4.4 = 215.6
March pounds lost 2.6 = 213 (do better in April)
Total 14.8
Goal weight 160.4
crazigerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Freshman30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 80
Default

I don't really have any equipment and I can't afford a gym, but the directory was helpful. I'll try to start doing push-ups but I'll have to ease into it extremely slowly! haha

Thank you for the tips!
Freshman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

Maybe with no equipment you could do a modified pushup on a wall or something?
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman30 View Post
I don't really have any equipment and I can't afford a gym, but the directory was helpful. I'll try to start doing push-ups but I'll have to ease into it extremely slowly! haha

Thank you for the tips!
Bah! No excuses please Not sure of your location, but you can check out 2nd hand stores or even yard / garage sales for pre-owned exercise equip. I found 60lbs worth of weights (steel plate style) for $5 bux last spring at a yard sale.
Or if that is still out of your budget, you can use jugs of water as dumbells-water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon. Push-ups are a great way to upper body strength, just start slow.
There's also a few websites out there that show you how to "make" your equipment- do a google search and good luck.
__________________
2014 Race Schedule

4/26 Parkway 1/2- DNF
7/4 Firecracker 5k
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman30 View Post
I have incredibly muscular legs and I do pretty well conditioning my core. But I have such little upper body strength that I can't do a single push-up. Seriously. Can somebody help me with some exercises to start me off so I can work up to push-ups? I don't want man-arms or anything, just a little more tone and enough strength to lift myself.
Hi Freshman30, I really understand how you feel because I'm exactly the same - I just can't get off the floor.

Thanks crazigerl - that directory is really helpful.
__________________
Start December 2011: 184lb
Ideal Target:133lb
20-3-2012: 177lb
30-4-2012: 167lb
30-5-2012: 165lb
30-6-2012: 160lb
30-7-2012: 154lb
***03-8-2012: Dress Fitting!*** - Reached 152lb
KoolKatUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Freshman30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07 View Post
Bah! No excuses please Not sure of your location, but you can check out 2nd hand stores or even yard / garage sales for pre-owned exercise equip. I found 60lbs worth of weights (steel plate style) for $5 bux last spring at a yard sale.
Or if that is still out of your budget, you can use jugs of water as dumbells-water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon. Push-ups are a great way to upper body strength, just start slow.
There's also a few websites out there that show you how to "make" your equipment- do a google search and good luck.
haha, Okay, no more excuses! I did find some weight replacements to use for bicep curls and I've been trying "lady push-ups" until I have enough strength to do real ones!

Who knew my 7.5 pound biology textbook would have be so useful?!
Freshman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2