Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Wicked easy upper body workout for a beginner? >

Wicked easy upper body workout for a beginner?

Community
Notices

Wicked easy upper body workout for a beginner?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wicked easy upper body workout for a beginner?

I have incredibly muscular legs and I do pretty well conditioning my core. But I have such little upper body strength that I can't do a single push-up. Seriously. Can somebody help me with some exercises to start me off so I can work up to push-ups? I don't want man-arms or anything, just a little more tone and enough strength to lift myself.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

This is an exercise directory that you can look at. However I would start of with the basics bench press and then a row of some kind. Shoulder press. Free weights like dumbell curls. Pushups are amazing, just do one then next day shoot for two. A couple of the guys are way more knowledgeable but that's what I started out with. Just make sure you balance your muscles. Don't do a ton of bicep work without incorporating triceps. Oh yeah dips are awesome.
Exercise & Muscle Directory
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

I don't really have any equipment and I can't afford a gym, but the directory was helpful. I'll try to start doing push-ups but I'll have to ease into it extremely slowly! haha

Thank you for the tips!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe with no equipment you could do a modified pushup on a wall or something?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Freshman30
I don't really have any equipment and I can't afford a gym, but the directory was helpful. I'll try to start doing push-ups but I'll have to ease into it extremely slowly! haha

Thank you for the tips!
Bah! No excuses please Not sure of your location, but you can check out 2nd hand stores or even yard / garage sales for pre-owned exercise equip. I found 60lbs worth of weights (steel plate style) for $5 bux last spring at a yard sale.
Or if that is still out of your budget, you can use jugs of water as dumbells-water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon. Push-ups are a great way to upper body strength, just start slow.
There's also a few websites out there that show you how to "make" your equipment- do a google search and good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Freshman30
I have incredibly muscular legs and I do pretty well conditioning my core. But I have such little upper body strength that I can't do a single push-up. Seriously. Can somebody help me with some exercises to start me off so I can work up to push-ups? I don't want man-arms or anything, just a little more tone and enough strength to lift myself.
Hi Freshman30, I really understand how you feel because I'm exactly the same - I just can't get off the floor.

Thanks crazigerl - that directory is really helpful.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
Bah! No excuses please Not sure of your location, but you can check out 2nd hand stores or even yard / garage sales for pre-owned exercise equip. I found 60lbs worth of weights (steel plate style) for $5 bux last spring at a yard sale.
Or if that is still out of your budget, you can use jugs of water as dumbells-water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon. Push-ups are a great way to upper body strength, just start slow.
There's also a few websites out there that show you how to "make" your equipment- do a google search and good luck.
haha, Okay, no more excuses! I did find some weight replacements to use for bicep curls and I've been trying "lady push-ups" until I have enough strength to do real ones!

Who knew my 7.5 pound biology textbook would have be so useful?!