Notices

What motivates you?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

My D day was when I bought the next size up pants, because my favorite jeans had ripped in a place where jeans arent supposed to!!

I have been insulin dependent for about a year. I am motivated to have good diabetes management after a year of being in denial because I was so angry about carrying on the family tradition of a poor pancreas. My mom died young to cancer after being diabetic with poor control for many years. I do not want history to repeat, I love exercise, and am learning that healthy, clean eating can be just as fun as that sugery donut.

The scale moves slowly, but I am patient. Small goals that are attainable motivate me to continue.

Chris S.
start wt: 171 lbs Dec 2011
current wt: 157 lbs
goal: 140 ish whenever I get there.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default What motivates you?

Great topic.

When I first started trying to lose weight (a few weeks before I found FD) it was because I had let myself go too far with too many bad foods. I started to notice that I just didn't feel good anymore like I used to. I noticed I was getting a little tired from just mowing the lawn. But the worst was just feeling sleepy all day. So my first motivation was to lose weight in order to feel better.

Now that I've lost the weight and I'm maintaining, my motivation has changed. I've now focused on getting into better shape cardiovascular wise. I used to have it, and it's been too long now since I've gone backpacking. So that's my new motivation. To be in top condition so that I can go backpacking again this summer, and do it comfortably, without getting so tired that it's not fun. I figure when I can run 4 miles, non stop, pretty comfortably that is when I know I'll be ready. I think by the spring I should be there. So that goal is motivating me as well.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Great posts! I hope each person reaches their goals and remembers the "why" as we make daily choices.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

1) I have really bad digestive problems when I eat poorly and I got really tired of feeling sick

2) I am tired of being tired

3) I want to be a good example for my son

4) I want to be a good example for my hubby

5) I feel embarrassed when I look in the mirror or see pictures of myself, not because I look "ugly", but because it's evidence of how badly I've been treating myself the past couple of years

6) I have a bunch of "before" clothes that I really love, that I want to be able to wear again
Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nobe
1) I have really bad digestive problems when I eat poorly and I got really tired of feeling sick

2) I am tired of being tired

3) I want to be a good example for my son

4) I want to be a good example for my hubby

5) I feel embarrassed when I look in the mirror or see pictures of myself, not because I look "ugly", but because it's evidence of how badly I've been treating myself the past couple of years

6) I have a bunch of "before" clothes that I really love, that I want to be able to wear again
Welcome, good to see you jumping in on the threads. Those are some great reasons.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 PM
FitDay Member

Default Small Steps

I began looking at various weight loss options last summer, as I spent most of the summer embarrassed to remove my shirt or go to the pool etc...

I was 39 and after a look in the mirror I was disgusted at what I had become..
Began at 6'2" 359, around labor day, now down to about 295 and still going strong.. my motivation is looking in the mirror and knowing that my long term health will be better and that this summer I will not be embarrassed to go out in public in swim trunks.

One good thing is that looking back I can laugh at myself a bit....knowing the future is better ahead..
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I run because so many cannot - who am I to waste that blessing
This speaks VOLUMES to me...I have (had) 3 female cousins with MS (one has been gone over a year now at the age of 55) and have watched how that alone steals some of their joy.

I don't run; but I exercise regularly, or did before 2012...I'm having a rough time keeping up a regular schedule for some reason now. I work out a week, take a couple off, start back in slow - work out for a week or two, and take off again.

I'm disgusted with this pattern. Thank you for reminding me of one of my own personal favorite motivations.

How dare I waste the good health so many others would LOVE to have...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 AM
FitDay Member

-mirror for sure
-back problems
-watching my Mom (89) and Father in Law (88) age. One active & one not, this is a big motivator. The less you do the less you can do.
-wanting to be healthy
Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I'm so glad this thread got bumped - I hope other's will post their motivations.

Mine remain the same. And everyday I thank the powers-that-be that I am alive, active, healthy, and looking forward to tomorrow .
Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

Hi folks, My name is Jeff Coombs. Ive been a Fit Day user since 2014, I normally use the PC version though. I want to give you all a little something I use to keep myself focused and happy everyday. Yes I know the diets can be hard but I am a diabetic and I have hypertension, (High Blood pressure). So I understand fully when someone has a bad day and don't feel like continuing on. I have a sign above my desk in my Bedroom that reads as follows,

"I AM whole.
I AM Perfect.
I AM Powerful.
I AM loving.
I AM Harmonious.
I AM Happy.
I AM Healthy"

I call this Jeff's Positive Affirmation. I read this everytime I come to this desk. And it seems to help reset my focus onto what I need to be focused on.
I also have another sign that reads,

THINK HEALTH TO ATTRACT GREAT HEALTH,

I AM A POWERFUL MAGNET FOR HEALTH.

GET A TIGHT CONTROL ON YOUR HbA1c.

If you stay focused I believe that you will reach your goals.
Please feel free to use these for yourselves or you can come up with some affirmations of your own.

So as the once great Henry Ford once stated," Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right".

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me on here on Fitday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.