Notices

I have a question

Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default I have a question

I am 64 years old. I have COPD and have been pretty sedentary for quite a long time. I finally got myself in gear and joined a PACE workout center in our little town. They have a number of machines with music CDs that tell you when to switch stations, plus treadmills, bikes, etc.

So far I have been going to this center for an hour per day, five days per week, for two weeks, plus I started the exercise a week before that using my treadmill at home every day.

In addition, I have also been dieting. And I have been pretty faithful with that.

The problem is that I have not lost one single pound in those 3 weeks. Altho I actually feel like I have, and imagine that I can see areas that have slimmed down, like my stomach. Is it possible that through starting this exercise program I am gaining some muscle and this is why I am showing no weight loss on the scale?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome Nikilet,
Run don't walk and go and take your measurements.
When you first change your lifestyle it can be pretty frustrating to not see the results on the scale and some of us are a slave to the scale.
The fact is you got off your butt and took control of your health, if I had the computer savvy some of the group do I'd give you a gold star. (pretend gold star is here).
The fact is that sometimes the numbers on the inside are much more telling. (Cholesterol, triglycerides etc)
This is a very supportive community so post up your goals and let the group help you.
I know for me I actually had to up my calorie count to start losing weight.
So welcome.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you for getting up and doing something about it. It is hard when you don't see the scale move. Your body can be a strange thing just holding onto the weight and then suddenly you may see a nice drop. The bigger difference is in how your clothes fit, what you see in the mirror, etc. Yes the weight is important but sometimes the scale changes and sometimes the tape measure does.

And here is your gold star for a job well done!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Wildbeanerz
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you both so much for your encouragement. It really did help!

I will keep plugging away. I hope something starts happening soon. I wasn't able to get out today to go to PACE and it's really bumbing me out. Woke up to snow and still snowing. It's supposed to be over with tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

You can always get online and google some exercises and put together a routine just to keep moving until you can get back to the gym.

My routine is actually combined out of what I feel are the most effective exercises out of the backs of women's magazines and some crunches and stuff added in. Seems to be working for me. I have never set foot in a gym.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Nikilet
Thank you both so much for your encouragement. It really did help!

I will keep plugging away. I hope something starts happening soon. I wasn't able to get out today to go to PACE and it's really bumbing me out. Woke up to snow and still snowing. It's supposed to be over with tomorrow.
Put some music on and just move. Whatever you do for exercise is better than doing nothing. It's the little things that count, tons of yoga and other exercises on Youtube.