Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
I am not familiar with weight lifting/training.. >

I am not familiar with weight lifting/training..

Community
Notices

I am not familiar with weight lifting/training..

Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default I am not familiar with weight lifting/training..

I am getting a gym membership, and would like to start lifting weights/weight training as well as doing cardio. I do not know any specific workouts, or for that matter, anything about it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or any links to websites or specific work outs that might help me?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by telepathy1994
I am getting a gym membership, and would like to start lifting weights/weight training as well as doing cardio. I do not know any specific workouts, or for that matter, anything about it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or any links to websites or specific work outs that might help me?

Hi telepathy,
Signing up for a gym membership is a wonderful way to start the new year - congrats. My biggest advise is to take advantage of (or pay for if extra) a personal trainer for a session or 2. He or she will be able to assess your current strengths and weaknesses and get you going of a plan for success. Good luck and keep at it
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Best site out there for non-crazy/fad advice. With small videos illustrating each exercise. ExRx

Start light.
Learn correct form.

Work torso muscles first, then shoulders, then arms and abs.
Do legs on a different day.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Best site out there for non-crazy/fad advice. With small videos illustrating each exercise. ExRx

Start light.
Learn correct form.

Work torso muscles first, then shoulders, then arms and abs.
Do legs on a different day.
Congratulations on starting weightlifting. I agree on exrx being a great site. The other great site for non-crazy advice is
Stumptuous
It's aimed at women but not exclusively. Helps you understand why you want to learn to do squat, bench and deadlift.

Another great site for motivation is Fitocracy If you need an invite, email me.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

You can also check out Bodybuilding.com. Lots of weight lifting, exercise and nutrition information. The forums are where I first heard about Fitday.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on joining a gym. I'm biased since I'm a personal trainer, but I started working out in a gym 18 yrs ago and had training at the beginning. I cannot imagine doing it without one. Money well spent.

I also agree with everyone else about exrx, bodybuildingdotcom (no need to buy supplements). They both have good exercise libraries. Good luck to you!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default bigpaul

Hi, Grats on the start I would do the larger muscles first always I use another program called freetrainers.com it like this will personalise a program for you set by your goals and the type equipment you have to use and how often you plan to go it sounds like fitday will have similar soon but this is a great site also and illistrates proper techique so you won't hurt yourself too.
Good Luck