Making the most of a personal training session >

Making the most of a personal training session

Community
Notices

Making the most of a personal training session

Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Making the most of a personal training session

I won one free personal training session. How do I optimize it so I get more than what I'm getting now for free (which is pretty awesome, an instructor who sets up routines, then corrects my form as he's walking around the gym in the morning).

I have provided the trainer with a copy of my current routine spreadsheet, a description of the time I put in, and a brief summary of my status and goals.

Any suggestions on how to use this time to the best advantage? I won't be meeting with her until January, so there's time to think and prepare.

Abby
Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

I've never used a personal trainer, but If I had the opportunity I'd try to hit as many exercises as I could within the allocated time, taking notes of all the advice (maybe a small recording device would be useful).

I'd even hit exercises I normally wouldn't do, or wanted to do, if there is enough time in the session. That way in the future if I decide to use those machines/exercises I'd already have notes on best form.

Don't forget about warmup exercises. That should probably be part of this as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dear_abby
I won one free personal training session. How do I optimize it so I get more than what I'm getting now for free (which is pretty awesome, an instructor who sets up routines, then corrects my form as he's walking around the gym in the morning).

I have provided the trainer with a copy of my current routine spreadsheet, a description of the time I put in, and a brief summary of my status and goals.

Any suggestions on how to use this time to the best advantage? I won't be meeting with her until January, so there's time to think and prepare.

Abby
Congrats on winning it, I'd think a personal trainer should be "personal" and not walking around. Free or not, I'd want their undivided attention. I'd start with requestion a trainer that's going to be on you like stink on sh.....
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Vito and Mike,

Mike, I'd agree that a personal trainer should be personal, and that's what's different between what I am "winning" vs. what I get as just being a member. The staff on duty mostly loves to help and give advice,but they are responsible for the whole gym - so I can't monopolize time.

The paid personal trainers are on their clients steadily, but I don't plan to go there, take advantage of my "winnings", learn what I can, and use it myself with random supervision.

Abby