Notices

Recovery Day

Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Recovery Day

How important is it to take one day a week off for recovery? When doing P90 they said to take 1 day a week off from exercise for recovery. I'm just getting back into exercise and taking it very slow and easy this time, so do I need to take that day off?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

i always allow one day of recovery, but that's just me.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Me too stacey

The recovery day is pretty important. It is the time when your muscles repair themselves, which is what makes you stronger. Plus it gives you a chance to think over your stategy for the next round of exercise. Enjoy the break!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

if you don't take any recovery days your muscles won't have time to repair and grow which can cause them to continue to break down
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks. P90 was the only exercise program that instructed ppl to take a day off so I wasn't sure and appreciate you explaining why it's important. Good to know. Even though I'm taking it slow and easy for the most part this time, I'm giving my muscles a recovery day each week.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Question

desertmountain, I'm glad you brought this up. I have questions about it as well. Such as, do you need a recovery day (meaning no exercise) if you do different things on alternating days? I do cardio Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday; Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays I do more of a circuit-training routine. Do I still need a rest day?

And if I do, can I do something active but not intesne (like a tennis practice) on the rest day?

Any thoughts would be great!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
desertmountain, I'm glad you brought this up. I have questions about it as well. Such as, do you need a recovery day (meaning no exercise) if you do different things on alternating days? I do cardio Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday; Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays I do more of a circuit-training routine. Do I still need a rest day?

And if I do, can I do something active but not intesne (like a tennis practice) on the rest day?

Any thoughts would be great!
you don't have to rest on your rest day, that's why it's rest or stretch X. You should be okay to do a little cardio, just don't get burned out.

I never thought I say this but I've been feeling burnt out of P90X, and not so motivated lately. I've really been modifying the program recently. Yesterday I did my own version of chest and back and it was a nice break, even though it was pretty damn rough.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Just get to know your body, if you're feeling ok then you might not need a rest day (or maybe you haven't been working hard enough ) but if you really feel burned out then take a day off, and if it is overtraining then sometimes you need to take longer off.