Notices

Starting a journal to track eating & lifting

Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Starting a journal to track eating & lifting

Hi (This is mainly a copypaste from my first journal entry).

So, I started a fitday journal to keep my fitness efforts in one place. I'm a 25-year-old male, Finnish, last year of university studies in Oulu, previous sports experience in jiujitsu, judo, boxing, thaiboxing, MMA, crosscountry skiing, hunting, running and weightlifting. Currently getting back to weightlifting after a bout with depression, doing Stronglifts' 5*5 program with AxBxAxx / BxAxBxx split. The program looks like this, if someone doesn't know or can't be bothered to google-fu:

A
Squat 5*5
Bench press 5*5
Barbell row 5*5

B
Squat 5*5
Overhead press 5*5
Deadlift 1*5

Current lifts stand at:
Squat 95 kg
Bench 63 kg
Row 40 kg
Overead press 40 kg
Deadlift 130 kg

(Sometimes I do auxiliary exercises to the last iota, like Dogcrapp calf raises or pullovers after my cooldown just so that I can get completely spent *pukes*)

On Friday's session decided to downgrade squat and deadlift by 10 and 15 kgs respectively, since I plateau'd on both for the 2nd time.

Also doing 20 pullups -program on lifting days as stronglifts in morning, pullups in evening. Sometimes static ab holds like tuck planches, planks, frogstands or L-holds on rest days.

Eating, well there's something not-as-traditional: intermittent fasting. I hope to get more accuracy on the nutrition part as currently it's not as "sharp" as I'd like e.g. too much guessing and not really much attention on lift/rest day split on carbs vs. fat on nutrition. Cheat days I usually have on sundays.

Anyways, on lifting days I try to eat my maintenance + 20% and on rest days maintenance -20%. Before official logs keeping track on eatings has been a losing battle (let's face it, I'm dumb as hell).

Anyways I'll be inputting my lifting and eating when relevant and my profile should be open for everyone to read, so all you nerds can bask in my glory and all you Rippertoe fanboys can wonder if I put enough hip drive on my squats

edit: woah I posted this on newcomers but it got moved to excercise??

Last edited by waterfree; 03-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by waterfree
edit: woah I posted this on newcomers but it got moved to excercise??
Welcome to FitDay waterfree.

I can't say for sure since I didn't move it but I can say it was about to drop off the first page since it didn't have any replies in the Newcomers Forum which is mainly for new members to introduce themselves.

You will probably get more views/feedback in the Exercise Forum since your post highlights your workout program.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Welcome to FitDay waterfree.

I can't say for sure since I didn't move it but I can say it was about to drop off the first page since it didn't have any replies in the Newcomers Forum which is mainly for new members to introduce themselves.

You will probably get more views/feedback in the Exercise Forum since your post highlights your workout program.
Should I post them here, like some kind of training journal?

edit: thanks.

Last edited by waterfree; 03-24-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Regardless of whether or not I should put my lifting here I wanted to share this:

Today I was feeling "underpowered" and, since I hadn't bothered to train during the wee hours of morning, I had my session between 15 and 16. Since 5*5 hadn't gone that well on wednsday I decided to mix it up and do 3*10 with a bit lower weights with the exception of deadlifts, of which I did 2*7.

Squats: buuurrrn, fukers. I maintained form much more easily than with 5*5, even though the completion of sets was much more exhausting. I got the feeling that sets of 10 punished my quads and glutes much better. Yesss, this is what we want!

Overhead press: same thing. The last 2 and 4 reps respectively were essentially push presses with a looong negative rep. Barf.

Deadlift: Lackluster by which I mean it was less awesome than the press or the squat. Sweet excercise, kept attention on pushing with my hip (yes I know it's a pull movement). Even though I used alternative grips the extra reps were apparently too much for my girly hands and I only managed to do 6+1.

Summa summarum: being consistent is good, but a little variation is better. Just like with eating, I couldn't go without cheatdays and not kill drunks/fatties and drink their blood for the sweet, sweet alcohol/doughnuts within.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
FitDay Member

Start a food journal. A food journal will enable you to see exactly what your eating habits really are. Most people do not actually have a good conception of how many calories they are eating and often underestimate this amount. Food journal is the one most thing you could do to lose weight; more important even than exercise or the contents of your diet.