Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
RunbikeSki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 2,042
Default TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Hi all and welcome all.

This tread is for all of us working up to a race, a personal record, or just getting off the couch. Although I may have highlighted the running part of the club, walkers, stollers, and plodders are welcomed and encouraged.

The idea is to post a goal and then share your ups and downs (probably even more imporant... we're here to support one another) as you progress.

GOAL: 10K (Mission Inn, Riverside CA) Nov. 13.
I would like to do it in sub 9 minute miles.

I have use the "Run less, Run Faster" by Bill Pierse, Scott Murr and Ray Moss to train for other races and will continue this time. Their philosophy is 1 speed training day, 1 tempo run, and 1 long run per week. Each has a specific training goal with no "junk miles" as some refer to them.

So Monday I begin the 12 week training program.

What's your goal?
__________________
Pam
5'4" 55yr

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

My personal goal is that I get myself back into good shape where I can do a 50 mile bike ride (on my road bike, not mountain bike) by mid October and not feel exhausted by doing it.

Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't mention biking!

Well in that case, another personal goal is to be able to run 2.5 miles, non stop, by sometime in November. Right now I've been so overweight and out of shape that my achilles tendons have been really aching, so I'm sticking to walking/jogging along with bike riding until the weight comes down more.
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,336
Default

I have a 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks. I won't be able to run at all due to a back injury so my goal is to just finish. If I can do it in 3h 16m I'd be happy. I just hope this epidural does well and lasts until then.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
handcycle2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Turlock, Ca
Posts: 301
Default

I was a runner from 1976-2004 when i was disabled in a traffic accident.
I also coach high school cross-country and track.

if anyone has any questions, feel free.

VitoVino, I'm concerned about your Achilles.
A few questions:
How long have your tendons been hurting?
How high are the heels on your running shoes compared to your street shoes?
Are you stretching?
Are you icing the tendons?

I would recommend you not run until you're pain-free.
If cycling is pain-free, you can do that. Swimming and water running are other options.
__________________
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
Steve Prefontaine
handcycle2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
RunbikeSki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 2,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoVino View Post
My personal goal is that I get myself back into good shape where I can do a 50 mile bike ride (on my road bike, not mountain bike) by mid October and not feel exhausted by doing it.

Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't mention biking!

Well in that case, another personal goal is to be able to run 2.5 miles, non stop, by sometime in November. Right now I've been so overweight and out of shape that my achilles tendons have been really aching, so I'm sticking to walking/jogging along with bike riding until the weight comes down more.
Cycling is fine too . Welcome - it is more about goal setting and the steps to acheivement than the specific activity.
__________________
Pam
5'4" 55yr

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcycle2005 View Post
VitoVino, I'm concerned about your Achilles.
A few questions:
How long have your tendons been hurting?
How high are the heels on your running shoes compared to your street shoes?
Are you stretching?
Are you icing the tendons?

I would recommend you not run until you're pain-free.
If cycling is pain-free, you can do that. Swimming and water running are other options.

Thanks. I've had this issue before in the past after not having run for a while. It always went away with a new pair of Asics.

I've been using a pair that has less than 100 miles on them, but the issue may be that they are about 5 years old. I've heard that shoes need to be replaced after a year whether they are used or not because things break down in them. Is this true?

Anyway, the good news is, the problem is going away, not getting worse. The tendons have been hurting for about a month though. Now it's almost gone, but at times it was difficult to walk. No, I'm not stretching them out although I know I should. Is there a recommended stretch for this? I haven't been icing, but I've been massaging and using icy hot. Also magnet therapy during sleep (which helps).

I've decided to just not run with my fat belly until my weight is closer to 160 or below. Right now the weight is melting off just by going gonzo on the mountain bike. I'm getting good cardio by doing intervals and pushing big gears. So I'm thinking why risk doing damage to my tendons by running right now?
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 426
Default

I have a 10K in Oct 2, and I wanted to just finish strong. PR is not matter right now.
Another goal is to be able to bike for 20 miles before winter come. Right now I have a mountain bike on the pave trail. When I hit my goal, I would consider to get a road bike. I heard that road bike is much lighter, so you can go faster.
Mai
lastri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastri View Post
I have a 10K in Oct 2, and I wanted to just finish strong. PR is not matter right now.
Another goal is to be able to bike for 20 miles before winter come. Right now I have a mountain bike on the pave trail. When I hit my goal, I would consider to get a road bike. I heard that road bike is much lighter, so you can go faster.
Mai
My mountain bike weighs just over 7 lbs., DH's mountain bike is even lighter. There are very light road bikes, but the lighter they are the more they cost. What kind of bike do you ride?

I don't have a particular race in mind, but I would like to find a local 5K that is not too expensive and finish in less than 40 minutes. I'm not a runner, but I can walk rather fast when I put my mind to it. The hospital PT center has an indoor iron man, it's on the tread the stationary bike and the elliptical, and possibly the bench press? Anyway I'm going to research that one and see if I can participate. Last year I think it was in Feb or Mar.
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
handcycle2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Turlock, Ca
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoVino View Post
Thanks. I've had this issue before in the past after not having run for a while. It always went away with a new pair of Asics.

I've been using a pair that has less than 100 miles on them, but the issue may be that they are about 5 years old. I've heard that shoes need to be replaced after a year whether they are used or not because things break down in them. Is this true?

Anyway, the good news is, the problem is going away, not getting worse. The tendons have been hurting for about a month though. Now it's almost gone, but at times it was difficult to walk. No, I'm not stretching them out although I know I should. Is there a recommended stretch for this? I haven't been icing, but I've been massaging and using icy hot. Also magnet therapy during sleep (which helps).

I've decided to just not run with my fat belly until my weight is closer to 160 or below. Right now the weight is melting off just by going gonzo on the mountain bike. I'm getting good cardio by doing intervals and pushing big gears. So I'm thinking why risk doing damage to my tendons by running right now?
The cushioning material in running shoes hardens with age, no more than 2-3 years old at the most.

Ice massage is better. Freeze water in styrofoam cups and rub the tendons with that. 15-20 min. at a time Icy hot is really not long lasting enough and you don't want heat on inflamed tendons.

Calf stretch. Do these very gently, you're not looking for flexability right now, just a little extra circulation to the tendon area.

Lean into a wall, one leg farther back and straight. You should feel the stretch in the calf. Slowly bend the knee and the stretch will move to the Achilles. Repeat with other leg.

You may be one of the few but "mashing" big gears can damage the knees. You'll get just as good a cardio workout by "spinning" (90-110 rpm).
__________________
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
Steve Prefontaine

Last edited by handcycle2005; 08-22-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added link
handcycle2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
handcycle2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Turlock, Ca
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastri View Post
I have a 10K in Oct 2, and I wanted to just finish strong. PR is not matter right now.
Another goal is to be able to bike for 20 miles before winter come. Right now I have a mountain bike on the pave trail. When I hit my goal, I would consider to get a road bike. I heard that road bike is much lighter, so you can go faster.
Mai
The weight of the bike is of little importance unless your area is fairly hilly.

Typical mtn. bikes weigh around 25-28 lbs. while road bikes run 19-22.

The difference in "road feel" is the road bike has narrow, light weight tires that are inflated to much higher pressures than a mtn. bike's.
__________________
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
Steve Prefontaine
handcycle2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exercise advice, running, support, walking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2