Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
March 4th, 11.15 miles.
Since then, I've ran 6 more times ranging from 3.5 to 6.5 miles. I'm thinking I'll do fine, it's just the mental thing about running 10 miles in a race without my iPod.
You'll be fine. Most marathoners will do their last long run 3-4 weeks out when tapering.
As far as the iPod, that's why I don't let the kids I coach wear their music when doing a hard workout. I want them to learn to pay to the signals their bodies are sending at redline rather than tuning them out. ( No electronics other than watches are allowed in high school competition)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Ran the race this morning- and it was chilly start. 44* and I resisted the urge to wear a long sleeve because I new midway I would regret it, so that was good.
No low back pain and all systems go- felt good. Ran 10 miles in 1:30 / 9 min. pace. Looking forward to the 1/2 at the end of the month
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sw07
Ran the race this morning- and it was chilly start. 44* and I resisted the urge to wear a long sleeve because I new midway I would regret it, so that was good.
No low back pain and all systems go- felt good. Ran 10 miles in 1:30 / 9 min. pace. Looking forward to the 1/2 at the end of the month
NICE! Looks like you will have a great 1/2.

It is always a debate for me whether to wear a long sleeve under those conditions. Many of my long sleeve tops are actually pretty comfortable even when the temps start to climb, but I hate feeling like maybe I could have done better if I wasn't overheating.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Good job, sw.

Rule of thumb: If you feel cold at the start line, you're not overdressed. If you'll be standing at the start for more than 10-15 minutes, wear something warm and disposable( take off and throw away 5 minutes before the start).
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Good job, sw.

Rule of thumb: If you feel cold at the start line, you're not overdressed. If you'll be standing at the start for more than 10-15 minutes, wear something warm and disposable( take off and throw away 5 minutes before the start).
It's the "disposable" part that I've never figured out. I could try the trash bag... but it just doesn't do much for me .
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
It's the "disposable" part that I've never figured out. I could try the trash bag... but it just doesn't do much for me .
Local thrift shop/Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. Sweat pants and sweat shirt.

Some races have so much clothing discarded in this manner, they collect them and donate right back to local stores or homeless shelters.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
FitDay Member

Some races have so much clothing discarded in this manner, they collect them and donate right back to local stores or homeless shelters.
I had a friend who had the job at the Boston Marathon of collecting all the discarded gear in Hopkinton and driving it in to the finish line in Copley Square (which is a very difficult drive that day - but he got VIP parking - a great privilege here) - there was a table where they put people's stuff, alphabetically by the names you were encouraged to put boldly in it. No guarantees, but an attempt to return your gear!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Good job, sw.

Thanks HC,
I figured I would just tough it out since the race started Downtown in the shadows of the tall office buildings. The course headed towards the east into the Sun and I figured I would be warmed up by the 2nd or 3rd mile.
It was a fun race, definitely alot more "mental" planning and trying to keep a decent pace without pushing too hard. I did have enough energy to speed up to sprint in the last 1/4 mile or so to the the finish- that felt awesome.
Kinda blew me away at the Men's 1st place finishers time, 47:34- that's flyin'!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great idea! Not sure why I never thought of that - Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just Joined a Running Club

A professional association of which I am a member just started a running club, and in a moment of weakness, I e-mailed the guy starting it, and agreed to go to the first meeting (which hasn't happened yet, but I was asked for my T Shirt size).

Yesterday I was at a monthly luncheon of this association (and avoided eating dessert), and heard a person at the next table talking about the running group, and noting that she has joined the group, and also "has a number for Monday" - in Boston that means only one thing!

What have I got myself into? I did say I'm a casual runner, but I'm joining a group with people qualifiying for the Boston Mararathon. I am not in competition, any effort is good effort! Keep telling myself that!

Abby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.