Notices

Anyone doing INSANITY workout?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Anyone doing INSANITY workout?

I am currently in my 7th week today of this. I have not lost much weight but have definately lost some inches and can see abs I never saw before.

I'm just curious what diet you are following, I am not really doing the diet that came with it, close, but not exactly. Also, are you drinking the recovery formula and have you seen better results with it? I do drink a protein shake before or after that has a small amount of recovery in it like the L-glutamine and such.

My problem is that I want to lose 15-20lbs of fat, or more inches but I can't seem to lose that last little layer of fat (know what I mean?) My knees are starting to kill me and I'd rather not develop an ulcer from taking ibuprofen daily

Any help out there???
Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

I thought I'd bump this up. I'm on my second week of insanity and it really does get you sweating! I haven't lost much weight/inches because my eating has been terrible. I'm back on the wagon now, however, and I certainly expect to see some changes soon!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
FitDay Member

I have been considering getting the insanity workout dvds, im currently doing p90x, i kind of restarted it, i was doing pretty good for a while then went on a few short vacations which got me totally off track. anyway im finding it pretty hard to do the 6 days a week working out, i usually make it to 4 or 5 which is still good but i havent seen any results. i push myself very hard during the workouts, and have been making changges to my diet as well, yet i feel im getting nowhere, im already in pretty good shape, i only want to lose about 7-8 lbs and mostly firm up but i havent lost any. ive been told to try to limit the carbs but im having a hard time finding dinners that are quick, easy and filling enough without any carbs. i thought maybe the insanity would be better for me to up the cardio...... any advice???
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Alexd33
I have been considering getting the insanity workout dvds, im currently doing p90x, i kind of restarted it, i was doing pretty good for a while then went on a few short vacations which got me totally off track. anyway im finding it pretty hard to do the 6 days a week working out, i usually make it to 4 or 5 which is still good but i havent seen any results. i push myself very hard during the workouts, and have been making changges to my diet as well, yet i feel im getting nowhere, im already in pretty good shape, i only want to lose about 7-8 lbs and mostly firm up but i havent lost any. ive been told to try to limit the carbs but im having a hard time finding dinners that are quick, easy and filling enough without any carbs. i thought maybe the insanity would be better for me to up the cardio...... any advice???
How far along are you since starting? If you're in the first couple weeks, and your muscles are sore- muscles often retain water to heal themselves which might show no weight loss on the scale. Keep tracking your calories and nutrient intake- diet is hugely important for losing weight.

I was really frustrated Monday when I did my two-week results and weigh-in for Insanity and I had gained a pound!!! I am losing inches however. Well, the next day I started my period and today that extra weight is gone and I am looking forward to hopping on the scale tomorrow and probably seeing another 1-2lbs of water weight gone.

You just have to keep with it. My point is, our bodies do all sorts of screwy things that we can't always predict. However, if you stick with it it, a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit and working our muscles is preventing a good deal of muscle loss during weight loss.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ruthieqt
My knees are starting to kill me and I'd rather not develop an ulcer from taking ibuprofen daily

Any help out there???
have you tried glucosamine?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ruthieqt
I am currently in my 7th week today of this. I have not lost much weight but have definately lost some inches and can see abs I never saw before.

I'm just curious what diet you are following, I am not really doing the diet that came with it, close, but not exactly. Also, are you drinking the recovery formula and have you seen better results with it? I do drink a protein shake before or after that has a small amount of recovery in it like the L-glutamine and such.

My problem is that I want to lose 15-20lbs of fat, or more inches but I can't seem to lose that last little layer of fat (know what I mean?) My knees are starting to kill me and I'd rather not develop an ulcer from taking ibuprofen daily

Any help out there???
I am having the same issue only I have lots to lose. I workout at the gym 5 days a week doing pump, step and spin all hard on knees. Now they are hurting just sitting at my desk. I am getting worried since I have lots more I want to lose.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default Should I bother?

I did the P90X program with not as many results as I was hoping for. Plus the P90X program really isn't sustainable. There's no way I could work out an hour a day, 6 days a week for the rest of my life. A friend keeps telling me I should try Insanity but I really don't want to waste my time if it's not going to work. I've also heard that lifting weights are better than cardio for losing weight and I'm starting to believe it since I've always done cardio and have recently gained a little weight (trust me, it's not muscle). Has anyone done both that they can direct me or tell me if this whole weight lifting thing is true?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Ruthie-

I know your original post was older but....

Do you have a good running shoe and insoles? I tore my ACL completely in June of last year and had it replaced September of last year. I'm only "allowed" to do the Insanity workout if I'm very careful and behave. That being said, I invested in a good pair of shoes with a HIGH IMPACT insole. I've also invested in a brand new knee brace. So far my knee (well, the bad one plus the good one) seems to be holding up pretty well. I also ice down for about 10 minutes after the workout and that seems to have stopped any swelling that may be occurring.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sharone58
I did the P90X program with not as many results as I was hoping for. Plus the P90X program really isn't sustainable. There's no way I could work out an hour a day, 6 days a week for the rest of my life. A friend keeps telling me I should try Insanity but I really don't want to waste my time if it's not going to work. I've also heard that lifting weights are better than cardio for losing weight and I'm starting to believe it since I've always done cardio and have recently gained a little weight (trust me, it's not muscle). Has anyone done both that they can direct me or tell me if this whole weight lifting thing is true?
It's the common problem for many people to have too many expectations from P90X (especially looking at beachbody ad pics). To achieve that ripped/jacked results you should already be (fairly) lean, to say the least.

IMO comparing weight lifting to cardio is like comparing apples and oranges. Very simplified and considering both "classic" weight training and cardio, they pursue different (if not antagonistic) purposes. Weight training is meant to be anabolic (i.e. building new muscle tissue), cardio is catabolic (i.e. getting rid of excess tissue, i.e. fat).
Things are more complicated when losing fat is the main goal though.
"Lifting weights are better than cardio for losing weight" is kinda broscience. You lose weight because of calorie deficit, no magic bullet here. By utilizing weight training you keep your muscles from cannibalising by your own body, because in absence of exercise starving body (yes, starving, it makes no difference between dieting and starving) uses muscles prior to fat and that does slow down your metabolism.
The main goal of P90X is still fat loss. Strength workouts build (or keep) your muscle (and strength) and ramp up your metabolism, while cardio workouts actually burn fat.
You can use P90X for bulking, too, with some tweaks, but consider it just like Boot Camp at home.

Insanity is another thing, it's all about cardio/HIIT (high intensity interval training, google it). A word of warning, if you can't handle P90X Plyo, don't even bother about Insanity.
It's all about PUSHING to the limit. All workouts are very similiar, despite of whopping 12 (or 13?) DVDs. Jumping, squatting, running, everyting is targeted to shoot up your heart rate to burn max calories sparing the muscle and accelerate your metabolism (again, simplified, read about interval training on internets).

I've done both, starting with P90X makes sense. Tony (P90X) teaches you the basics of fitness/exercise, the proper moves, technique, stretches (yoga, anyone?), all-in-one, while Shaun (Insanity) expects you to learn on the spot, sort of "just push it and you'll be fine", which quickly becomes boring. BUT! It's all about intensity.

My personal preference is P90X weight workouts + Insanity in place of Cardio (Kenpo, Plyo), I just pick whatever I'm feeling to do.

Working out first thing in the morning can save a lot of time (and accelerate fat loss!, again, google is your friend), but you have to be careful here, be sure to be supplemented with BCAA pre/post workout. And personally I don't think that 6hrs/week (or even less!) is that much and hard to find, I hope you will get accustomed quite soon Good luck!

Last edited by denizko; 12-15-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up One more thing

@sharone58
Don't expect INSTANT results from ANY fitness program and/or sports.
It really takes time and dedication, but the outcome surely worth it.

Don't focus on inches/lbs at the beginning, focus on your increasing strength, endurance, flexibility, well-being after all. Track your progress using workout sheets and fit tests, take photos, be prepared for plateaus. Never give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.