TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club >

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

Just because an injury is no longer hurting doesn't mean it's fully healed. There needs to be some "toughening up" time for the new tissue.
Take it easy on increasing your run time for at least a couple of weeks.

Otherwise, that's good news.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, I really appreciate that advice, hc! I didn't know that, so that will keep me straight for sure.

I wasn't planning on going "gonzo" running, but I tend to push myself sometimes too quickly. I've been training VERY easy and slowly increasing my intensity with the bike. My biking has finally returned to a good condition that I recognize to be as the "beginning stages of decent shape" so I'm increasing that intensity without too much worry.

My running on the other hand has come from "near deaths door" to the "just fat and out of shape" category. I have a long way to go before I can consider my progress at the "beginning stages of decent shape" when it comes to running. So I have no plans BUT to take it very easy for the next few weeks, and I'll certainly be keeping close tabs on the achilles.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

VitoVino, once you start running, going gonzo is appealing....so listen to the wise man...

As for me, I'm a little kid who's excited by, but nervous about the first day of school - I haven't laid out my clothes three times, but, I brought home my good shoes from the Y, and find myself hoping the other runners are nice, and I can find the check in table...and I can finish with a happy time (don't really care what it is!). I actually dreamed about the race last night!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Abby,
I am so pleased that you are so excited about the race. I know just what you mean by being worried about finding the registration/pick-up table (and a hundred other little things) it seems to me to just be a natural reaction to a new thing. Don't worry about the other runners... 99% of them will be wonderful people - just like you. Most will have the same anxieties and hopes you do, so definitely say hi, or ask for directions, or provide some help.

I know you will be soooo jazzed when you cross that finish line!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
VitoVino, once you start running, going gonzo is appealing....so listen to the wise man...

I agree. It's more like a return for me. It's just been a long time. But I do miss that runner's high.

The plan is to stick to going 4 miles, walking/jogging. Yesterday I did it in 1:02, today was 56 minutes. The plan is to gradually decrease this finish time by increasing the amount of running time. I plan to spread this out over the next few weeks, gradually making the workouts more intense.

If I get to the point where I feel like I'm pushing it too much and need a break, I'll switch back to the mountain bike (right now I'm giving that a rest).

Good luck on your race!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Just got back from another 5k race, this one was a cross country trail run- lots of hills, uneven ground, rocks & tree roots- friggin awesome

I ran a 23:09 / 7:28 pace- not bad considering the terrain, I also came in 2nd for my age div- woohoo! I even came home with a Medal
Very small field though....total participants was 56.

The race was put on by a local running club which also had a Men's & Women's
7k race- there was some very dedicated XC runners.

Abby- try not to be too nervous or worry about your time, just have fun. Its a great feeling to here your name announced when you cross the finish line- good luck!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

I have my 1/2 marathon tomorrow and decided to do some training today. It didn't turn out well, 2 miles of misery.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

sw, compared to your road 5K, that's a very good time. Cross-country rules!

gt, I hope you're going to skip the half.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I have my 1/2 marathon tomorrow and decided to do some training today. It didn't turn out well, 2 miles of misery.
Sorry to hear that Mike,are you still gonna try to do what you can? Maybe you sit it out and get healed up...that sux bro.

Thanks HC, the hills were a little tough, but I logged 20 miles since Monday and felt pretty good on race day.

Last edited by sw07; 09-03-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sw07
Sorry to hear that Mike,are you still gonna try to do what you can? Maybe you sit it out and get healed up...that sux bro.

Thanks HC, the hills were a little tough, but I logged 20 miles since Monday and felt pretty good on race day.
LOL try to do what I can? He'll no, I'm goin to finish it. It's only 13.1 miles, I'm going to dust the people from Kenya too. Well the last statement was a lie, the rest is true though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.