TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club >

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

That's quite a list HC. I definitely take the minimalist stance on race day (depending on the length of race), my list refers to summer racing.

I'll load up a small ice chest with a few bottled waters and a pack of blue ice (in case of injury)

Maybe a pair of flip flops- only if I plan on hanging out after the race (usually for the raffles afterwards or if there's entertainment)

A fresh towel,and I'm usually out of there once the preliminary race results are posted.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
That's quite a list HC. I definitely take the minimalist stance on race day (depending on the length of race), my list refers to summer racing.

I'll load up a small ice chest with a few bottled waters and a pack of blue ice (in case of injury)

Maybe a pair of flip flops- only if I plan on hanging out after the race (usually for the raffles afterwards or if there's entertainment)

A fresh towel,and I'm usually out of there once the preliminary race results are posted.
My bag was packed year round, less worry on race day that something was forgotten.

I would only drink one bottle of water while traveling to the race, no need to wait in line for the Porta-Potti.

After, it was part of race day to eat somewhere on the way home so I rarely carried food supplies.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Aww that's sweet

Originally Posted by dear_abby
I've got the best hubby in the world...

I didn't want to ask him to drive me, running is my thing, and not driving is also my thing, so I try not to be needy, but he said "of course I'll take you over, I want to see you cross the finish line".

So, between him and you guys, I think I might as well put my fee down now!

Abby
Running in my thing, not my DH's too. But really love it when he comes to a race. It isn't often when he does, but knowing he'll be at the finish line is always a special treat.

Since you will a support vehicle, I definitely recommend flip-flops or soft sandles. You'll want to let you dogs breath and have something cushy for the soles of you feet after all that pounding.

So when are ya going to register???
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Second tempo

Today's went a little better than last week, although I really wasn't into it when set out this morning:
1 mile easy
2 mile tempo target @ 8:55
1 mile easy
2 mile tempo target @ 8:55
1 mile (actually because of the course 1.75) easy/cool down

First 2 miles: 8:47
Second: 8:37 (mostly because the first half is a lovely slight downhill)

Next week is a 4 day backpacking trip into the Sierras so lots of leg work, but not much running.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default I have done the deed...

You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K

------
DH suggested I register day of, noting that $4 wasn't much to lose as the gamble (that's the difference between advance and day of), but, I wanted to be able to post that I registered. They threw a $3.95 "processing fee", so there is no reason not to register day of...

HC thank you for your fashion advice! I note you write about racing only in the past tense, is it no more for you?

Pam, sounds like quite a training!

Abby
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K
WoooHooo! Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM
FitDay Member

You have registered for:
Bad Habit Productions 5K

------
DH suggested I register day of, noting that $4 wasn't much to lose as the gamble (that's the difference between advance and day of), but, I wanted to be able to post that I registered. They threw a $3.95 "processing fee", so there is no reason not to register day of...

HC thank you for your fashion advice! I note you write about racing only in the past tense, is it no more for you?

Pam, sounds like quite a training!

Abby
I was hit while bicycling to work back in mid-2004, hence the screen name.

I can walk short distances with a cane but my running days are over.

Looks like you picked a good 5K. Best of luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Handycycle, great to have your support - I hope we can vicariously run for you!

Abby
Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, I enjoy still being able to advise. I coach(assistant) track/cross-country at a local high school and have become an unofficial coach on a couple of other message boards.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default My update to this thread

Well, I didn't hit 160 before I started jogging again, like I said I was going to do, but my weight loss has been slowing down and I feel like I'm not burning calories like I was with my mountain biking. Yesterday I biked for over 2 hours, with just a short break at the halfway point, and I feel like I didn't get much of a workout. I average about 13 mph since it's a flat rail to trail..

So today I walked/jogged for 1 hour. My body was telling me I was ready to run again since my achilles tendons seem to have healed, and for the first time in a long time, when I've been walking around food shopping I have a "pop" to my step, a lightness that I haven't had in a very long time. So 164 lbs. or not, today I was going to do some running!

I felt really good. Breathing while running was still not great, but I felt light on my feet and I finally didn't feel like I had this hand grabbing the back of my shirt pulling me backwards as I ran. I'd run for a few minutes, then walk briskly. I did this for an hour, and now that it's done, it's obvious that I can start increasing my run time. No more achilles problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.